surigao and Leyte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi y'all, how is the diving in surigao in feb - march ? Any good ?
And Leyte, any good for the same period ? How is the situation after the typhoon ?

Thanks for the help !

Feb - Mar is still whaleshark season in Sogod Bay(Southern Leyte).
No idea on Surigao.
Typhoon "Yolanda" did not come anywhere near both areas. Tacloban airport is operational now and so are the ferries from Cebu City to Ormoc. Check with local operators for info.

Hello there. I did a week of diving in Surigao April, last year (2013). I enjoyed the diving there with lots of interesting macro life. I saw more flatworms there than anywhere else I've been diving in SE asia. The coral had been hit really bad by the crown of thorn starfish and most of the dead coral had brownish-red algae growing all over it. I imagine that it will take a little time for the coral to recover but I doubt it will take too long.

I dove S.Leyte in December 2012 and it was very good. The walls and reefs there are probably in the best condition I've seen in the Philippines. Took a whaleshark trip and was able to snorkel with four whalesharks! One of the large ones swam around our group for about 5 minutes before descending into the blue. Amazing!

I have not been to S.Leyte or Surigao since the big typhoon so I can't comment on the current state of things. My friend did, however get an e-mail from dive master Pedro at Sogod Bay Resort which said that they were back diving again within a week of the storm.

I just spent a week diving Sogod Bay mid January on my current trip...zero effects from Yolanda. Highly recommend Sogod Bay Scuba Resort....felt bad for them over cancellations I know they got due to perceptions over the typhoon.

I just spent a week diving Sogod Bay mid January on my current trip...zero effects from Yolanda. Highly recommend Sogod Bay Scuba Resort....felt bad for them over cancellations I know they got due to perceptions over the typhoon.
If they care to check it out first before sending out the cancellation.
Perception = ignorance in this case!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom