Gato - Cave (Tunnel)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kennedy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are headed to Malapascua in March!!! Very excited as it is our first trip to the Philippines. I have a question about the Cave/Tunnel dive. Does anyone know if it is an entirely closed environment? I am not good with not being able to see the surface. :D Is it possible for me to dive either over it or around it and meet the other divers at the exit? Thank you.

Sandy

Sandy

It is a big open cave and you can not see the exit straight away from the entrance. As caves go it is not claustrophobic and there are not by any means tight squeeze throughs. You can't go over it as the entrance is at surface level meaning that you are going under the island itself, going around either side would most likely be too far to manage easily if your intention is to re-group on the other side.

Not every dive on Gato island involves diving through the cave so you can still go there and do the dives but you'd need to get straight before hand what the plan regarding the cave is and whether or not you are happy with it.

If you have not yet decided on an operator I would strongly recommend Evolution as they (in my opinion) run the tightest ship out there, you could even drop David there a line in advance and refer your original question to him and see what he suggests.

Have fun out there, it is truly awesome

Hi Sandy,

We regularly take divers to Gato island who, like Drew said, don't dive the "cave". It does mean splitting the group, so we just discuss beforehand who wants to go through and who doesn't...simple :)

You can drop us a line and we'll answer any questions you have.

Thanks,

Matt.

I dived the cave twice last year and do get a bit claustrophobic sometimes. One option would be to ask to be in the first group in , so that you can get through the dark bit quickly if you want. I would really recommend it if you can as when you exit the cave there are little areas where white tips sharks usually resting and you can get very close to them.

You will love everything about the Philippines and particularly Malapascua.

Best fishes x

If you are not comfortable with caves I wouldn't dive it. I would not presume to say it was claustrophobia inducing or not. You cannot see the surface when you are in the cave/tunnel. I'd say it was at least 20 meters long. Depending on whether you are following others or not, sediment can get kicked up a bit. I don't have a problem with it but most of the time there is little to see within it. It's just that it ends up at the big rock the white tip reef sharks "sleep" under. Sometimes the sharks are swimming around the mouth of the cave when you get to that side. There are always options and i'm sure any of the quality shops on Malapascua will accommodate you.

Thank you for the replies! I probably won't do the cave -:DWe have a big group going and we are signed up with Thresher Shark Divers - I will discuss it with the dive master (s) before we go and see what they can offer. Very excited. :D

I had many dives on Gato cave both day and night. The main entry is right below the small hut. It's pretty cool to dive. when you enter note that the exit (with a huge mouth) is on the left side. If i remember correctly penetration is about 50ft before you see the exit. You can go in the other side and go out at the main entrance but water usually surges out out so can be quite a work out getting inside. Keep an eye out for bamboo sharks inside and sometimes black tip and nurse sharks.I you come out at the exit turn left and descend to about 50ft and follow the terrain and look for a big rock that houses up to about 15 resting nurse sharks. Excellent place for macro photography.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom