Puerto Galera - Mermaid Resort vs Atlantis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wondering if anyone could give some advice on which to choose. Which ends up being more budget friendly? The packages at Mermaid look really good but Atlantis offers more in the inclusive price possibly?
Need to rent equipment and looks like Mermaid includes that in the all-inclusive price but do they carry your equipment for you like at Atlantis?
Do both have access to cheap places to eat?
Do both have similar quality for dive sites?

Any other info would help!

Thank you!

Hi Cmneus,
Glad you're considering a stay with us - and know you will not be disappointed in our service.

FYI - our all-inclusive rates include:
  • accommodation in a deluxe room (double occupancy/twin share)
  • all meals at Toko's Restaurant (breakfast drinks, Italian and specialty coffees are included)
  • coffee, tea and filtered water (Italian and specialty coffees are not included after breakfast)
  • unlimited internet access
  • unlimited scheduled boat diving (typically 5 dives per day including night diving)

So - No need to find cheap places to eat :)
We offer a wonderful selection to choose from at our meals that you will definitely enjoy.

If you'd like a rundown of our rental prices just send me an email and I'll forward that along to you.
My email is: sharon.connor@atlantishotel.com

Here's a link to the dive sites offered in Puerto Galera:
http://www.atlantishotel.com/scubadiving/dive_sites_pg.php

Hope you have a wonderful time in Puerto Galera.

I haven't been there yet (leaving in ten days!) but a friend of mine who is a foodie tells me the food at Atlantis is superb.

You have to walk about 100m from Mermaid Resort to its dive shop.
If you do decide to stay then enquire quiet rooms!!!!! Because the resort is situated right by the busy main road. No such problem at Atlantis!!!!!
Location location and location!!!!!!!
However, Sabang Beach is filthy!!!
Asia Divers(Small La Laguna) or Laguna Beach Club(Big La Laguna) is the alternative. The small beach at Big La Laguna is the only place where sun worshippers can safely lie down.

Agree with Centrals on Sabang Beach. Big La Laguna is your best bet for enjoying the sun. I enjoy *Happy Hour* at Big La Laguna more....its more laid back, I suppose. The beach is a nice and relaxed 15-min walk from Atlantis.

Haven't stayed in either hotel, but Atlantis has more dining choices around it being more "centrally" located within the beach strip. The price are not what I would consider *cheap, however.

Most (if not all) dive sites are accessed by boat, so no issue there. In either case, I suggest you find time and budget for a Verde Island daytrip.

I haven't been there yet (leaving in ten days!) but a friend of mine who is a foodie tells me the food at Atlantis is superb.
I cant wait to read your trip report! :wink:

---------- Post added February 5th, 2014 at 10:00 PM ----------

Thank you, I've already been in contact via email with someone from Atlantis. I'm just wanting to try some food that might be more local....rather than just at the same restaurant all week!
With everything that you include it really does seem worth it, if only rental gear was included!

Hi Cmneus,
Glad you're considering a stay with us - and know you will not be disappointed in our service.

FYI - our all-inclusive rates include:
  • accommodation in a deluxe room (double occupancy/twin share)
  • all meals at Toko's Restaurant (breakfast drinks, Italian and specialty coffees are included)
  • coffee, tea and filtered water (Italian and specialty coffees are not included after breakfast)
  • unlimited internet access
  • unlimited scheduled boat diving (typically 5 dives per day including night diving)

So - No need to find cheap places to eat :)
We offer a wonderful selection to choose from at our meals that you will definitely enjoy.

If you'd like a rundown of our rental prices just send me an email and I'll forward that along to you.
My email is: sharon.connor@atlantishotel.com

Here's a link to the dive sites offered in Puerto Galera:
http://www.atlantishotel.com/scubadiving/dive_sites_pg.php

Hope you have a wonderful time in Puerto Galera.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2014 at 10:00 PM ----------

---------- Post added February 5th, 2014 at 10:03 PM ----------

Looking into Laguna Beach Club. Thanks for the warning about the beach!

If you do decide to stay then enquire quiet rooms!!!!! Because the resort is situated right by the busy main road. No such problem at Atlantis!!!!!
Asia Divers(Small La Laguna) or Laguna Beach Club(Big La Laguna) is the alternative. The small beach at Big La Laguna is the only place where sun worshippers can safely lie down.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2014 at 10:07 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that being single the benefit of not paying a single supplement is a big reason i'm considering these two options....
Thanks for the warnings about the beach, I'm looking into Big La Laguna.
Also good to know that Atlantis is centrally located..I want to explore a little.
ALso will look into Verde Island for a day trip!
Thanks!

all-inclusiv
Agree with Centrals on Sabang Beach. Big La Laguna is your best bet for enjoying the sun. I enjoy *Happy Hour* at Big La Laguna more....its more laid back, I suppose. The beach is a nice and relaxed 15-min walk from Atlantis.

Haven't stayed in either hotel, but Atlantis has more dining choices around it being more "centrally" located within the beach strip. The price are not what I would consider *cheap, however.

Most (if not all) dive sites are accessed by boat, so no issue there. In either case, I suggest you find time and budget for a Verde Island daytrip.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2014 at 10:08 PM ----------

So....if I'm staying at Atlantis, is there a different beach i can use that is clean or am i only "allowed" on the Atlantis property for beach use??????

Last edited:

That's me and yes the food is AWESOME at Atlantis. They take great care of you there both in and out of the water.

So....if I'm staying at Atlantis, is there a different beach i can use that is clean or am i only "allowed" on the Atlantis property for beach use??????

Yes, you can walk to Big La Laguna. Sabang is walkable and there are no "dedicated" beaches. Facing the resort (between the hotel and restaurant) you go right, follow the road down to the seaside front, up a few stairs then down again, and you end up in Big La Laguna beach.

Quick story: Last December there was golf challenge on the view deck of one of the resorts in Big La Laguna...you buy balls and tee-off to the deep part of the beach. Anyone who shoots the ball in a floating bouy gets a cash prize. Anyone who doesn't clear the ball from the view deck buys beer for everyone. From the cheers, I think a lot of people didn't clear the deck....hell I think they wanted it that way.

Safe travels.

1. Anyone can walk along the three public beaches.
2. If you want an exclusive one then CoCo Beach is further down from Big La Laguna. But if you want to sample various eating places and watering holes then it is a bit inconvenience.

I've think that after some research Apo Island is where I want to spend most of my time, away from the crowds...the diving sounds incredible. So now I am wondering if it's possible to do a week in Puerto Galera and a week at Apo Island. Is it reasonable to think that transport from Apo to Puerto Galera or vice versa depending where I begin will only take one day? Can I fly from Puerto Galera to Dumaguete or do I have to go back to Manila? Also, is it reasonable to plan my trip in December (i could have up to 4 weeks this way, combining my year's vacation with the two week Xmas break we are given.....)

Back
Top Bottom