Latest Malaria information for Coron & Puerto Galera ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russ_UK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone know what the latest Malaria information is for Coron & Puerto Galera ? We've been to both locations several times now but never used any anti malaria treatments, but a couple of days ago one of our group was told by his doctor that the malaria areas move around and now both Busuanga & Mindoro are malaria areas and that we should all have anti malaria tablets.
I've tried searching for information, but must be looking in the wrong places as all I can find is information that is several years old now. We are travelling in just over 2 weeks so would be very grateful for any up to date information, if we do need to take anything we have to start 7 days before we leave here.

I hear of more people getting dengue in Puerto Galera than I do malaria and even then dengue is rare and one can never pinpoint exactly the location where they got bitten

You can even pick up leaflet on Dengue Fever at Batangas ferry terminal.
If you do not suffer any side effect from the medication then why not!!
I usually rely on natural insect repellent than DEET.
Make sure the maid shut the door when she is cleaning the room. As they normally don't do that for whatever reason.
Light colour trousers is far better than shorts and ankle is yummy.

Thanks for all your replies, we have never used any anti malaria treatments previously so we will give them a miss again this time.

Just take precautions with anti insect sprays, keep doors closed and I would rather burn these nasty coils than take any pills as toxic as these coils are.

As far as I know you can't take any pills to avoid Dengue

I always use the CDC website for information on recommended vaccines/malaria medication and other health risks before traveling outside the US.
Malaria requires different medications for different areas of the world.

Dengue is the issue, you can take malaria pills (Eg. Malarone) as I always do, but dengue is a viral infection
spread by Aedes mosquito, it is nicknamed 'break bone fever.' Don't take it lightly, I was infected (Dengue-1,
there are 4-types) in 2010 (Sipadan) - spent 3 days shivering in a Beijing hotel room, then 7-days in a Beijing hospital.
Took me a year to recover fully - as a preventative use Deet! Use Deet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom