Padre Burgos / Southern Leyte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfbellemare

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I will be in Bohol in march and I was thinking about going diving in Southern Leyte. I have been told its a great place to go see big fishes and the diving is one of the best in the Philippines.

I'm looking for recommendation for dive shop and dive site. I like the challenging dive sites with strong current.

Also if anyone has info about the ferry from bohol to maasin.

Thanks

JF

There are only couple of operators in Sogod Bay and all have good reputation.
Boat from Ubay(Northern Bohol) still sails to Leyte?

Hi,

I will be in Bohol in march and I was thinking about going diving in Southern Leyte. I have been told its a great place to go see big fishes and the diving is one of the best in the Philippines.

I'm looking for recommendation for dive shop and dive site. I like the challenging dive sites with strong current.

Also if anyone has info about the ferry from bohol to maasin.

Thanks

JF

Hi JF

Southern Leyte is not really the best place for big fish. Its more concentrated on macro critters (Padre Burgos / Limasawa) and lovely corals (Napantao). You can have success and see whale sharks whilst snorkelling- but only snorkelling is allowed. The currents are not typically strong.
This is not the region to see schools of fish such as barracuda, snapper, trevally or different shark or ray species.

If you really want big fish then Tubbataha will be you best option in March

You could travel up to Malapascua (ferry Tagbilaran - Cebu / Bus or transfer Cebu City- Malapascua incl. 50 minute banca ride to the island) There you are very likely to see Thresher sharks and possibly manta rays. As well as macro. Some of the reefs have seen damage since the typhoon but the deeper site corals are very healthy.

Leyte is superb diving but if you go looking for big fish you will be disappointed.

Best wishes,
Siren Fleet

I was at Sogod Bay @6 weeks ago diving for a second time with Sogod Bay Scuba Resort who I would highly recommend. They can also give you up to date ferry info. True you won't see pelagics there but I consider it some of the best diving in the Philippines

Do you have an operator to recommand? I checked you website but its full for the dates that I want.

thanks

Tubbataha trips tend to sell out pretty quickly!

We have a group booking 09-22nd March departing from Cebu and the group leader has indicated 1 female twin share cabin has a space - so if you're female that might work for you?

All our other trips are indeed full- with a few people on the wait list!

You could try Ona Experience - they have a trip from Coron-Cebu via Tubbataha 12-24 March. (website price 2200 euro) Its a banca-style boat but pretty new and the owner is an experience tour leader (Yamil Ortiz)

All the best,
Siren Fleet

I did Bohol and Padre Burgos in October, 2012, including the ferry from Bohol to Maasin. Dove with Peter's Dive Resort in Padre Burgos. We were almost the only ones there - apparently whale shark season is the high season. First re the ferry - we got a ride arranged through the dive resort, Seaquest Dive Center, to the ferry terminal and got picked up at the other end by Peter's. Ferry ride was interesting - not very long, very smooth. Industrial ferry with big bay for trucks; passengers walk through this and up stairs to a deck with seats, two tvs (Philippine game shows - very garish!) and open sides. We were comfortable and all went smoothly. It was not expensive, though I don't remember exactly how much.

Regarding diving from Peter's. It was a bit variable. The best wall/reef diving was across the bay at the protected site - Napantao. We went back a couple times, even though it was a bit of a trip across Sogod Bay. We also went to some islands at the end of the bay - I didn't think those were worth the trip. The area south of the resort along the penninsula was interesting - sort of plain to start, but at the end there must be some upwelling, because we would get small-medium size schools of large fish. If I did that again I would want to start farther toward that end, so that I could stay a little deeper for a little longer - when it's at the end of the dive it's hard to stick at 50 feet or more. Also - the PIER at the town for night diving was absolutely amazing! They limit the nights you can go - MWF, I think - go as many times as you can! It's a fun spot topside - there is a video karaoke place you can hear as you go in; families eating take-out on the pier, and even people loading boats by carrying things down the stairs and into the water/onto the boat. Once you get in, sandy bottom with amazing critters, and the pilings are totally covered with all sorts of crabs, seahorses, corals, etc. Saw a huge turtle (woke him up - sorry!) and after the pilings, out in the sand are lionfish and stargazers. AND, north of the resort, there is a muck site - you have to walk through a trashy area on the shore (and in the water for a little ways) but it's a great muck site (I've done Lembeh, so have some perspective) with more seahorses, sea robins, guynards, pipefish, interesting anemones, etc - and there are some coral bommies there as well. There are definitely some plain/damaged coral areas - what I've described are the highlights - and I think there are enough to make it a good value and a fun place. The food was good and the accommodations very nice - pictures accurately show the resort, though the back is right up to the road (not too much noise.) Dive guides were good, pleasant, and other staff very nice. If you want more info/link to pics, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom