Palawan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, I'm now thinking I might add Palawan to my trip (I know, but there are so many choices.) This came about when I decided I wanted to fly to Manila and travel up to Banaue to see the rice terraces when I was done with my diving plans (fly into Cebu City, Malapascua, Moalboal, Dauin, Apo Island).
I'm looking at the pics of the area around Coron and I just don't know if I can handle not seeing those amazing islands.....
So, I've seen here and there that Palawan is average for diving except for Coron....but I've seen El Nido mentioned a lot too.
I know I can take either an overnight ferry from Manila to Coron or fly from Manila to Puerta Princessa (don't think there is one right to Coron). I'd be loosing dive time if I fly so I think I would just take the overnight ferry and fly back and fly home from Manila.
I know this is a lot planned, I have about a month and I may cut out a location to make it fit....we shall see....still figuring it out.
Am I right to choose Coron if I only go to one place on Palawan or are there more amazing looking islands elsewhere???? Kayangan Lake looks awesome too...
Or....should I skip it? Those islands just look so dreamy and exotic.....
If so, where to stay/dive? I found Sea Dive Resort which has decent prices I think??????

Hi! We are just back from a few of these places. Palawan is quite a detour. El Nido is spectacular. The diving there is pretty average - water warming has killed off a lot of coral. But island hopping there is great. Just be prepared for a lot of tourists. There is a reason Alex Garland wrote The Beach there. It is very travelled, and the procession of island hopping tourist bangkas on the various tours is a sight to see. Staying in corong corong (the little village next to el nido and a 5min 20peso trike ride into el nido) is a better bet if you want something quiet. Book accommodation well in advance.

Coron is less good for island hopping, although there are tours available and hooking up with the indigenous people there for some genuine cultural insight is possible. We wouldn't dive there again. If you like wrecks it's one place to go, but the safety standards there are appalling. If you are not wreck certified, please be very careful following guides into the wrecks with a group of unknown divers. The wrecks silt out fast, and our guides (from the best reviewed operator in coron) lost a diver in the wrecks one day and then were leading inexperienced, unskilled divers into completely silted out penetrations the next. Be very very responsible for your own safety there and read up on the wisdom of 'trust me' dives.

Malapascua will will blow you away. Moalboal you might find a little underwhelming in the absence of the large sardine runs of the past. There was a small group of sardines there a month ago, but not like the days of yore (last year we didn't see any at all there so it's good some are coming back). Try the night dives at Moalboal. Lots and lots of critters around on the house reefs there at dusk/night.

Dauin and Apo are world class. You will have a great time there.

If you like small stuff, I'm going to plug Anilao one last time. We were astonished by the diving there. Just incredible for the rarest of rare things (bobbit worms, Lembeh sea dragons, etc etc). Anilao Backpackers with either mark or Ivan as guides will give you an unforgettable experience - but only if you like muck diving and tiny things. It's like an underwater photography masterclass there if that's your thing.

Good itinerary! You will have a ball!

Oh wow! Thank you for sharing!!! That diving in Coron sounds really sketchy....maybe El Nido would be a better fit for me, as long as those amazing rocky islands are there...I do need to look into it more. My trip will be in December so I know that is a busy tourist time there and you mentioned the large amount of tourists so...we'll see, sometimes less is more...
The more I read and research the more I cannot imagine missing...maybe I will just have to go back for the rest!
I cannot afford expensive camera eqiupment and don't even own an underwater camera (shame on me...) but I'm hoping friendly divers will be willing to share theirs if I bring a jump drive...but Anilao is so tempting from all I've read.
Moalboal is the location I'm thinking about cutting out....it is a dream of mine to see those sardines but it just seems so iffy...I think I will wait until I'm actually there and if they aren't around, skip it.
Malapascua and Apo Island are the two places I must go...there is no talking me out of it, even though the trip up to Malapascua is long...it will be worth it (I think) and the same for the rice terraces (I know, off the topic of diving!).
Hi! We are just back from a few of these places. Palawan is quite a detour. El Nido is spectacular. The diving there is pretty average - water warming has killed off a lot of coral. But island hopping there is great. Just be prepared for a lot of tourists. There is a reason Alex Garland wrote The Beach there. It is very travelled, and the procession of island hopping tourist bangkas on the various tours is a sight to see. Staying in corong corong (the little village next to el nido and a 5min 20peso trike ride into el nido) is a better bet if you want something quiet. Book accommodation well in advance.

Coron is less good for island hopping, although there are tours available and hooking up with the indigenous people there for some genuine cultural insight is possible. We wouldn't dive there again. If you like wrecks it's one place to go, but the safety standards there are appalling. If you are not wreck certified, please be very careful following guides into the wrecks with a group of unknown divers. The wrecks silt out fast, and our guides (from the best reviewed operator in coron) lost a diver in the wrecks one day and then were leading inexperienced, unskilled divers into completely silted out penetrations the next. Be very very responsible for your own safety there and read up on the wisdom of 'trust me' dives.

Malapascua will will blow you away. Moalboal you might find a little underwhelming in the absence of the large sardine runs of the past. There was a small group of sardines there a month ago, but not like the days of yore (last year we didn't see any at all there so it's good some are coming back). Try the night dives at Moalboal. Lots and lots of critters around on the house reefs there at dusk/night.

Dauin and Apo are world class. You will have a great time there.

If you like small stuff, I'm going to plug Anilao one last time. We were astonished by the diving there. Just incredible for the rarest of rare things (bobbit worms, Lembeh sea dragons, etc etc). Anilao Backpackers with either mark or Ivan as guides will give you an unforgettable experience - but only if you like muck diving and tiny things. It's like an underwater photography masterclass there if that's your thing.

Good itinerary! You will have a ball!

There are so many interesting places in Philippines.
Getting there is half the fun and El Nido is certainly qualify for that. You can fly into El Nido from Manila if you know how!!!! There was a small ariline which flew passengers to those exclusive resorts in El Nido. They only released any unsold ticket 5 days in advance!!! I was managed to get one. The airport was tiny and cattle grazed on the field(can't remember if the runway was tramacked). To be honest I did not find El Nido interesting both above and below water.

I'm in El Nido now. Haven't dived yet, but will this weekend. Island hopping is pretty great. Just wanted to add that there are direct flights Manila to Coron and vv on Cebu Pacific, and maybe PAL. Manila to El Nido is possible and vv, I'm flying back to Manila with the small airline next week. It is about two to three times the cost of a flight to Puerto Princesa plus bus to El Nido, depending on the fare you get. They only book via direct contact, and MNL to El Nido is only possible 5 days in advance as noted.It seems to be changing quickly here, with tons of construction along the beaches and in town. I added it at the end of my trip because I figured by next time I'm here it might be spoiled.

Thanks! Enjoy yourself, and if you like I would love to hear how the diving was and how it compared (in your opinion) to other places in the Philippines. :)

I'm in El Nido now. Haven't dived yet, but will this weekend. Island hopping is pretty great. Just wanted to add that there are direct flights Manila to Coron and vv on Cebu Pacific, and maybe PAL. Manila to El Nido is possible and vv, I'm flying back to Manila with the small airline next week. It is about two to three times the cost of a flight to Puerto Princesa plus bus to El Nido, depending on the fare you get. They only book via direct contact, and MNL to El Nido is only possible 5 days in advance as noted.It seems to be changing quickly here, with tons of construction along the beaches and in town. I added it at the end of my trip because I figured by next time I'm here it might be spoiled.

---------- Post added February 19th, 2014 at 10:04 PM ----------

I'm thinking this might have to become two trips. It's not that I don't mind traveling every three/four days to a new place, I just think maybe Banaue/Batad and Palawan deserve a little more attention (plus Anilao...). Three days in Palawan isn't much considering how far out of the way it is. With 30 days (and that is pushing it with how long I can be away) 3 days in each place and the rest traveling just might not cut it. Oh my goodness...there are too many amazing things in this world to see in a lifetime!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom