anyone going to dumagutte, oslob and moalboal during 2nd-10th June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikotop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi people,

I'm planning to go to Philipine in June, my plan is fly to Dumagutte for 3 days then go to oslob for 2 days then Moalboal for 3 days then back to Dumagutte. I have a question here: is Oslob worthy staying for a night or I could just take a day trip from Dumagutte if I just want to see whale shark? I know its bit early to ask, as I will be travelling by myself, I would like to know if there's any group I can dive with? Maybe we can share some cost and have fun together? I've been dove in Borocay, Taiwan, Okinawa with around 20+ dives, pretty new ;-)

Any advise will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Miko

Hi there

There is really not enough to do in Oslob to warrant spending 2 nights there. The cheapest way to see the whalesharks would be to catch the boat from Dumaguete in the afternoon if there is one , then spend the night in Oslob , be in the water first thing and then head off to Maolboal. There are lots of buses.

Best fishes x

Hi,

Thank you for the information! Is it possible to get a day trip from Dumaguete to oslob? Go in the morning come back to Dumagute at afternoon, where can I order the trip from? or is there a ferry go direct to oslob from Dumaguete?

Thank you :)

miko

Miko

Mike's resort in Dumaguete runs trips as far as I know. When I was in Bohol there were trips available , but only on sale by touts on the beach. One morning I got up at 5am to go , but was told after two hours that there were not enough people. So be careful who you book with.

Best fishes

If I am arriving at Manila and would like to visit Dumaguete, Moalboal and Oslob. This is what I would do:
1. Manila to Cebu. Flight is a lot more frequent than to Dumaguete.
2. Taxi to Southern Bus Terminal and onwards to Moalboal. Private transfer from the airport to Moalboal(Panagsama Beach) is around P3,000.00.
3. Some of the dive operators there will arrange special trip to Oslob if there is demand. If there is no demand then wait for your return from Dumaguete.
4. From Moalboal there are buses going south(couple of places) for the ferry crossing to Dumaguete.
5. You can join the trip to Oslob locally and instead of returning to Dumaguete afterwards, proceed to Cebu city on your own. Your bag will be wet though.
6. If the trip to Oslob is NOT available in Dumaguete then DIY. Get the ferry across to Cebu Island and take any bus heading to Cebu City but make sure it is passing Oslob instead of Moalboal(two different routes). You have to start very very early or prepare to spend a night a Oslob because the feeding is only in the morning.

Getting there is half the fun so have a good time.

Hi Miko

Glad to be of help.

I forgot to say that going to the Philippines by yourself will not be a problem....you will meet plenty of people . I went there alone last month as my husband had to go back for work. I had a wonderful time , I stayed in Liquid Dumaguete where dinner is family style....everybody eats together. It is also a beautiful lodge with extremely nice owners ....and its great value.

Have a great time .

Hi Miko,

I (and some friends) am going to Dumaguete and Moalboal June 6 - June 17. Arriving Dumaguete on Jun6, plan to stay on APO Is for 3 nights, Dauin for 3 nights, and then head to Moalboal for the rest of the trip. Would also like to dive Oslob for Whalesharks. May have some overlap with you over there :)

Happy diving.

William

Most resorts, or even travel agencies, in Dumaguete run day trips to Oslob for the whale sharks. Most outfits probably need a minimum number of people to go (we need 6 people where I work). PM me if you want contacts.

It's probably a personal preference, but I think the whale shark experience is much better snorkeling rather than SCUBA diving. The whalesharks spend most of their time on the surface so it's much easier to get close to and stay with them while snorkeling. Even the Large Marine Vertebrate volunteers/researchers seem to think so because I've only ever seen them snorkelling.

Back
Top Bottom