Diving in Philippines - Dosol or Ticao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi!

I also posted in the Philippines section, but then saw this section and wasn't sure where this fit best. Please forgive the DP - it's both travel AND Philippines :)

I'm new here and have been lurking and reading. I'm now planning a trip and have a question about Donsol/Ticao.

Trip Planned: Early March for 4D/3N. Main objective is to see whale sharks in Donsol. Second objective to see Manta and do some dives.
Currently looks like this:
Day 1: Arrival, whale sharks, stay in Donsol (Dancalan Beach Resort)
Day 2: Diving, stay in Donsol
Day 3: Diving, stay in Donsol
Day 4: Whale sharks OR Whale Sharks, stay in Donsol
Day 5: Breakfast, departure

Questions:
1) Would it make more sense to spend days 2 and 3 on Ticao (Ticao Island Resort)? Or is it fine to dive out of Donsol (I know there's no whaleshark diving in the Donsol area)
2) If I stay in Donsol, will all the dives be going up to Ticao anyway?
3) Any other tips, advice, pointers?

I'd like to keep one day (currently day 4) to either dive or do more whale shark snorkeling.

I'm hoping to book in the next day or two - so advice MUCH appreciated.

Looking forward to it
icosm14.gif

Have you considered a different approach?

I have not been to Donsol so I would not like to directly comment on the operations there but I hear it can be VERY busy.

There are currently quite a few whale sharks of the southern tip of Cebu in Oslob and while nothing is ever guaranteed, I know that they are there all year round. Many people will argue the cons as well as the pros of Oslob but ultimately the population is transient and offers an rare and important opportuntity for LAMAVE - a marine biological research unit - to visually tag and laser measure the sharks.

The reason i mention this is because there are a few resorts in that area who provide great snorkeling trips to see the whale sharks. ou could then combo this with diving at Apo Island or along the Dumaguete coast. If you would like a personal recommendation, then I would go for Atmosphere Resorts. They offer a great diving experience, wonderful resort and superb excursions

Let me know if you would like more info...

Back
Top Bottom