Puerto Galera - Diving there for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be in the Philippines for 9 days end of April and beginning of May. Unfortunately we don't have time for Tubbataha live aboard. I think most likely we'll have 3-4 days to dive. 2 divers, 1 beginner, 1 intermediate. We are decided on Puerto Galera vs Anilao. We can get to Puerto Galera from Manilla by bus ? Any other suggestions as to where to stay and dive sites ? Places to eat or hang out? Thanks

Anilao is accessible by land (bus to Batangas, then jeepney which is like a local taxi; or private van direct from Manila airport). Puerto Galera involves a short ferry ride from Batangas. Anilao: great muck diving, no sandy beach (most places), dive resorts are more separated from each other on jungle hillsides. Puerto Galera (I've not been there, but this is what I'm told): sandy beaches, resorts closer to each other, busier town, more bars including girlie bars. I love Anilao. But you should really post this question in the Philippines forum.

And most importantly: great diving in the Philippines!

Depends on your preference for creature comforts and budget. I'm a traveler (backpacker) and I dove with Action Divers in Sabang (P.G.) and stayed at Banana Moon (arranged through the dive shop). It was very basic but quite in line with my preferences. Three dives a day, hotel room and breakfast was $95. There are many other options there and you may prefer something a bit more upscale. I enjoyed the week of diving there (also did 10 days in Anilao at Club Ocellaris).

Dived dec/january with South Sea Divers at Sabang and would highly recommend them. I found the diving refreshingly good but I have not dived anywhere else in the Philippines to compare. Stayed at the Sabang Oasis hotel which was clean and an ok budget option with no complaints.

We have a pretty good package at Atlantis Resort Puerto Galera that is a BOGO deal. Book one diver, 2nd is 50% off. Special works out to $1274 per person plus $200pp for R/T transportation from Manila Airport. We are also booking the El Galleon on Sabang Beach. May availability limited at El Galleon. In Anilao I always recommend Crystal Blue but availability may be tight there too.

I'll second Blue Ribbon Divers in Sabang. I was there in November and had a ball. the resort is comfortable and the staff very friendly.

Get the bus to Batrangas and then the ferry across to Sabang. Walk along the beach :)

Back
Top Bottom