Diving for First time in Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be in the Philippines for 9 days end of April and beginning of May. Unfortunately we don't have time for Tubbataha live aboard. I think most likely we'll have 3-4 days to dive. 2 divers, 1 beginner, 1 intermediate. We are decided on Puerto Galera vs Anilao. We can get to Puerto Galera from Manilla by bus ? Any other suggestions as to where to stay and dive sites ? Places to eat or hang out? Thanks

I think most likely we'll have 3-4 days to dive. 2 divers, 1 beginner, 1 intermediate. We are decided on Puerto Galera vs Anilao. We can get to Puerto Galera from Manilla by bus ? Any other suggestions as to where to stay and dive sites ? Places to eat or hang out? Thanks
1. Bus + ferry to Puerto Galera. Best option is to take the daily Si-Kat transfer(08:00am) from City State Tower Hotel on Mabini Street in Erimita. Arrive at Sabang around 12:30pm.
2. South Sea Divers and contact them for accommodation because they don't provide it themselves.
3. Captain Gregg for BBQ!!!!!
4. Point Bar and if you want somewhat rowdy then Big Apple and those(say no more!!!).

Hi LALakers_Diver,

If you are arriving after April 20th, we have deluxe accommodations available with our all-inclusive packages at Atlantis Dive Resort at Puerto Galera.

With a maximum of 6 divers per boat, you'll get to the best diving spots around the Sabang Beach area in Puerto Galera and have the attentive services of a dive master in the water with you.

If you are interested, send me an email and I can give you more details, along with rates that include our 50% off special for the second guest.

I know you'll have a wonderful time in PG discovering the amazing underwater world that awaits:D
Sharon

sharon.connor@atlantishotel.com

I went to PG twice and both times I stayed at Small La Laguna beach. That's about a 10 minute walk from Sabang, and is quieter and more laid-back, but still not far from Sabang's various restaurants and bars. I did my diving with Action Divers. The first trip, I was quite impressed with them. The second time, they were less than perfect (they had a lot of customers so I ended up diving in a group with 5 other divers who went sprinting away down the reef before I could even change my camera settings. . . not the DM's fault, but not ideal). Action Divers can arrange cheap or mid-range accommodation for you at Small La Laguna beach, or you can do some research and arrange your own. I have heard good things about South Sea, as Centrals recommended, but they're in Sabang, which isn't quite as mellow as Small La Laguna beach.

If the Si-Kat doesn't match your schedule, you can arrange for a private transfer from Manila to Batangas, where you catch the ferry to Sabang beach in Puerto Galera. If the private transfer's too expensive for you, there are cheap public buses from Manila to Batangas. You need to arrive in Batangas by mid-afternoon to catch the last ferry to PG (I think it leaves around 4 pm). If you decide to stay somewhere along Small La Laguna beach, then when you get off the ferry in Sabang you can hire a porter or two to carry your scuba gear, suitcase, etc. for a reasonable price.

I highly recommend Sky at South Sea Divers. Great dive operation with good staff. I recommend going to the site Rome2rio.com type in your arriving airport to Sabang. This will give you the whole trip outline. Manila airport to Batangas and the ferry. Costs and options for the trip... Enjoy it.... Sabang is awesome!

I don't know what the 'rules' are but it kinda pisses me off when resorts posts in these threads, I thought the forums were about sharing personal experiences not posting ads saying how great you are.

There are a ton of dive shops in and around Sabang, some with accomodation and some without but all will refer you. They all have access to the same dive sites, any will supply a DM if requested and in April/May (start of low season) more than 6 divers per boat is unlikely and package deals abound - not that you would want to be eating and drinking every night at any of them with all the good, economical choices around.

Imagine if we had every resort in >insert destination here< posting like that in every thread where someone inquired, what a mess that would be.

/rant over

When somebody requests information on where to go and with whom to dive, it's quite legitimate for someone providing those services to make themselves known.

We stayed with Atlantis in February, and if the trip is within your budget, I don't think you can do better. The resort is beautiful and very comfortable, and the dive op is well run, safety-conscious, and friendly. I LOVED the diving! The Sabang reefs are lush and gorgeous, and don't miss out on the night dives. Even though they're conducted beneath the boats in the bay, they turn up a ton of fascinating critters (I found a couple there weren't in the ID books!)

Tortuga- disagree with you on this one. I'm quite happy with dive ops/resorts letting everyone know they are engaged with ScubaBoard and thus letting all of us know they exist. I wish MORE dive ops/shops/resorts would be involved.

lol are you guys sitting across the dining table posting together?

When somebody requests information on where to go and with whom to dive, it's quite legitimate for someone providing those services to make themselves known

Seems to me like the guy requested suggestions on where to stay etc. That would imply to me an unbiased opinion i.e. Sharon Conner is not going to 'suggest' he stays and dives with another resort than Atlantis.

We stayed with Atlantis in February, and if the trip is within your budget, I don't think you can do better. The resort is beautiful and very comfortable, and the dive op is well run, safety-conscious, and friendly

Now that's what I would call a personal recommendation.

My point is that there are IDK 40+ dive shops in PG and many more resorts, do you really want every thread where someone asks for recommendations to be filled with posts from every one of them?

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 01:13 AM ----------

I'm quite happy with dive ops/resorts letting everyone know they are engaged with ScubaBoard and thus letting all of us know they exist. I wish MORE dive ops/shops/resorts would be involved.

I note that Atlantis is a "Scubaboard Business Sponsor" - is that what you mean by engaged/involved?

If every operator(dive and lodge) in PG posts one message, this thread probably will run into p.10 by now!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom