Aiyanar - dive pricing expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cageybob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was about to book a trip to Analao and was trying to decide between Crystal Blue or Aiyanar. I had a quote for a week at Aiyanar then needed to add an extra night due to the timing of an early morning flight. The price jumped over $600 (due to the extra night + some price increase as of March), which I think is excessive. So I started questioning and breaking things down and noticed the diving alone was going to cost me $180-190/day. Really? I thought Hawaii was expensive, but wow! I am traveling with my wife who is a non-diver and I have no problems joining an existing group (i.e. don't need to have a dedicated dive guide solely for me). Is that typical of Anilao or is Aiyanar just trying to take advantage of me? Not real happy at the moment and Crystal Blue, though not as nice, seems to be about $900 cheaper for the week for us.

US$900.00 is a lot of money at least to me!!!
Diving rate of $180-190 per day is not excessive if it is for 5 boat dives!!
Anilao has a unique pricing structure within Philippines if not in SE Asia!! Everything is calculated based on you are the only diver around.
BTW, a non-diver in Anilao would get absolutely bore stiffness.
You are better off across the channel at Puerto Galera where the pricing is CRYSTAL CLEAR(only nitrox and night dive is extra and there is no such thing as guiding and boat fee). Dive boat will go out even if you are the only paying customer at no extra cost.

fyi - That rate is only for 2 dives. I'm stunned how expensive the dives are at Aiyanar. Their price structure does penalize you based on the number of divers. I've never seen that before at any other resort, other than a single vs double room room rate. How is it my problem if they don't have enough guests at the resort? btw, the wife is fine with just chilling at the resort/pool, reading or playing with the iPad. Plus we have a cool short excursion to Beijing on the way home.

No one can honestly explain why Anilao has such a unique price structure!!
Some resorts in Anilao do offer unlimited FREE shore dive to soften up the cost. But how many times the same House reef can one dive in a week?
1. Find a cheaper option.
2. Go for it and hope there will be some divers to share the cost! But do make it clear in the booking. There is possibility that the other divers(group) might NOT want you to join!!!!
3. Anilao is NOT for single diver.

+1 on heading to Puerto Galera for diving, especially if you're not going to Anilao in a group of at least 4.

Though I can't say much about the diving in Anilao since I have never been there, the diving in PG should be right up your alley if you were intending to go Anilao; macro galore with lots of opportunities for photos. Plus there are much more things to do topside so your wife won't be bored out of her mind.

try aquaventure or crystal blue..Aiynar seems to have a different price structure and clientelle

+1 on heading to Puerto Galera for diving, especially if you're not going to Anilao in a group of at least 4.

Though I can't say much about the diving in Anilao since I have never been there, the diving in PG should be right up your alley if you were intending to go Anilao; macro galore with lots of opportunities for photos. Plus there are much more things to do topside so your wife won't be bored out of her mind.

I agree- Anilao is very nice if you are with a group that can negotiate the package prices down, but Sabang is almost the same thing with much more of a user friendly attitude. Food is sort of expensive (for the area) unless you hoof it downtown and use one of the myriad small but excellent restaurants down there. I personally recommend Tina's Restaurant, but it's waaay down at the east end of the beach and kind of a long walk from most of the bigger resorts, such as Blue Ribbon, El Galleon, Atlantis, etc. etc. Lots of others, though. Not as many nudibranchs over in Sabang, but still quite a few of them, including one today that had to measure 8" long! And topside activities- there is no comparison between the two. At Anilao you are pretty much stuck at your resort, but in Sabang the whole place is your oyster, with options for daytrips to local attractions and such also. If you like to hike, the Hash House Harriers meet weekly at a local pub and then take off on a guided local expedition, and they love newcomers. There is a lot of local based shopping (NO MALLS!) and lots to see in town. It all depends on what you want. Woody

What is the HHH and where do they meet? Are they a commercial group or just International divers who have an informal club? I am planning my 2nd trip to Sabang late may, and would like to do a local surface trip. Are they open to people of all nationalities?

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~G0bble
Sent from mobile, please excuse brevity and typos.

What is the HHH and where do they meet? Are they a commercial group or just International divers who have an informal club? I am planning my 2nd trip to Sabang late may, and would like to do a local surface trip. Are they open to people of all nationalities?

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~G0bble
1. They are NOT commerical.
2. Anyone can join but you might have to "down" a beer after the run.
3. Enquire at Capt. Gregg or any dive operators/resorts.

I was about to book a trip to Analao and was trying to decide between Crystal Blue or Aiyanar. I had a quote for a week at Aiyanar then needed to add an extra night due to the timing of an early morning flight. The price jumped over $600 (due to the extra night + some price increase as of March), which I think is excessive. So I started questioning and breaking things down and noticed the diving alone was going to cost me $180-190/day. Really? I thought Hawaii was expensive, but wow! I am traveling with my wife who is a non-diver and I have no problems joining an existing group (i.e. don't need to have a dedicated dive guide solely for me). Is that typical of Anilao or is Aiyanar just trying to take advantage of me? Not real happy at the moment and Crystal Blue, though not as nice, seems to be about $900 cheaper for the week for us.

Dear Bob,

I was actually the one who made that quote for you… and just to shed ligt on the subject of Anilao's special pricing structure let me give everyone an idea on how things are priced in Anilao. Diving wise Anilao probably has the most expensive and confusing price structure in the philippines. With good reason though.

At anilao there is an association of Boats and an informal association of dive guides. What this means is that operators in the area are tied down to the prices that are demanded by both of these factions… The boat prices are set and the dive guide prices are set as well… Most guides are freelance and get about 25USD per dive… That being said boat rental is usually about 75-80USD as well so just between the boat and the guide your already running a 150USD bill and other expenes such as fuel, snacks, Dive Passes are not even included in that price. All told for a 3 dive out day the operator will spend about 180-200USD on the expenses… That offcourse when divided by a group of 4 is an acceptable amount… but singles is really where people suffer… on a 3 dive day for a single Aiyanar charges 270USD so give or take a few they make about 70USd per dive boat out on the singles… take from that discounts and commissions and the operator is left with a profit of about 50USD.

We offcourse are trying our best to find a way of doing it that will be beneficial to everyone but as of now this is the only way we can stay positive. If there are other divers offcourse we suggest they share the boats gving them lower prices and a better time. But given that aiyanar is fairly new… we dont have the volume to forecast that we'll have multiple grous or divers to share boats at a given time.

In your case bob… there really isnt anyone else on the booking sheet or i wouldve told dorris about it.

Im sorry for the frustration but be assured that the Aiyanar Management is doing all it can to be competitive with our neigbors...

Thank you for your patience.

Marco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom