Trip Report - Puerto Galera (28Feb2014 to 7Mar2014)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nameless Bear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Back from a trip to Puerto Galera and I'm missing the place already! Initially planned for Anilao but decided on PG after finding out:

1) Pricing structure is a lot more favourable for solo travellers in PG
2) More topside activities in PG
3) Macro diving in PG, while not as good as Anilao, is still comparable

Please note that the above is based on research I have done on the internet, and the following trip report is based on my limited experience diving, having never been to Anilao. My focus for this trip was macro diving and specifically, to learn underwater photography. YMMV.

Getting there

Travelling from Singapore, I took a midnight TigerAir flight to Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airpot, arriving at 5am+. Walked out of the airport to grab a taxi on the streets (Airport taxis generally charge a lot more than street taxis. However, ensure the taxi driver goes by the meter) to City State Tower at Mabini Street, Ermita, where I took a Sikat bus and ferry service to PG. I opted to buy the return ticket as well. This proved to be a very convenient means of getting to PG (and from PG back to Manila); even though I paid a little more than I would have if I had taken public transport, I spared myself the stress of navigating the unfamiliar public transport system. Setting off at about 830am, I arrived at PG, Sabang Beach, at about 1230pm.

Puerto Galera - Topside

Having taken up a package with the dive centre I signed up with, they put me up nearby their shop at Small La Laguna, which is between Big La Laguna and Sabang, where most of the shops, restaurants and bars are. As this stretch of beach (Sabang, Small La Laguna and Big La Laguna) is a very 'touristy' area, meals in most restaurants are priced as such and is considered very expensive by local standards; an average meal cost me about 250php (which is about S$7.00 or US$5.60). However you will be able to get a meal for much less if you go to the local eateries, so there are options for those looking to spend less.

Some stuff I did topside:

- Stuffed myself silly! Steak at Hemingway's, ribs at Tamarind, pizza at Bella Napoli, barbeque at Capt'n Gregg's.. oh, my!

- Drank like a fish! Lots of bars around the place catering to all tastes. Hit up the Tea Table at Capt'n Gregg's for some rowdy good fun "No true stories told at this table", one of the few floating bars just offshore, or even the girlie bars if that's your thing.

- Hash House Harriers! Setting off from Capt'n Gregg's on Saturday afternoons, they take a nice run/walk out in the countryside. A great way to see more of PG! After the run, the sight of cold beer at the end-point is like finding gold at the end of a rainbow. They also gather and sing hilariously rude songs to welcome newbies, christen 5-time runners (who will adopt a hash name such as Sneaky B*tch or L*mp D*ck), and to also punish people for not wearing a Hash House Harriers tee shirt.

- Get lost! I took a day off diving, rented a motorcycle and headed out to explore the place. If you do this, be sure to check out White Beach and Tamaraw Falls!

Sea Riders Dive Center

Mark and Annie were very patient with a newbie underwater photographer, sharing many tips with me and accommodating my requests on the dives I would like to go on. Being great spotters, they ensured I never ran out of subjects to capture. Dives were usually nice and slow (great for photography), making sure photographers are guided separately from leisure divers. Great outfit at low prices. Highly recommended!

Diving

This is what all of you have been waiting for, eh?

Water temperature around the area was about 23C to 24C.. Comfortable for me in board shorts and a rashie! :p As there was a full moon during this period, currents ranged anywhere from non-existent to crazy. The diving? Incredible! I was spoilt for choice when it came to subjects to photograph. PG's reputation for being a macro paradise is well-deserved!

Here are a few dive sites which stood out for me along with some shots which speak so much more (and so much better) than I ever could:

- Sinandigan Wall: Nudie paradise!

- Sabang Point: Pygmy seahorse!

- Sabang Wrecks: A few small wrecks located nearby each other with all sorts of macro life hiding in the nooks

- The Hill: "Macro heaven" as described by Mark, owner of Sea Rider Dive Center, as it has lots of.. you guess it, macro life!

Check out more pictures on Flickr!: https://www.flickr.com/photos/namelessbear/.

All in all, an amazing trip. Enjoyed myself so much I'm planning to return soon, hopefully for at least two weeks this time!

I hope you enjoyed reading this trip report as much as I enjoyed preparing it. Do hit me up if there's anything you wish to know!

Andrew

Last edited:
Wow those are some great photographs. I was in Subic Bay about two weeks ahead of you getting my OW cert. I will be going to PG next trip.

Wow those are some great photographs. I was in Subic Bay about two weeks ahead of you getting my OW cert. I will be going to PG next trip.
You will enjoy PG more than Subic but PG has one thing that Subic doesn't has ie. CURRENT.
However, The Hill, Sabang Wrecks and Sinandigan Wall are all shallow dive so you should be able to dive them.
Avoid those first few days right after Full and New moon.

those are great photos, andrew! looks like you enjoy your trip very much, cant wait for mine next week!

thanks for the TR

Great report and photos! We are sitting in Manila right now awaiting our flight home tomorrow morning, after 2 weeks of Sabang immersion. I have a ton of photos to wade through, but that will have to wait a bit, as I also promised you guys one of my fiendishly detailed trip reports, and I need to work on that first. Busy, busy---Going back to work on Weds. complicates things also:(. Oh well, life's a beach, and then you dive! Gotta start thinking about the next one now:hm:. Woody

Great report and photos! We are sitting in Manila right now awaiting our flight home tomorrow morning, after 2 weeks of Sabang immersion. I have a ton of photos to wade through, but that will have to wait a bit, as I also promised you guys one of my fiendishly detailed trip reports, and I need to work on that first. Busy, busy---Going back to work on Weds. complicates things also:(. Oh well, life's a beach, and then you dive! Gotta start thinking about the next one now:hm:. Woody

Was feeling pretty bummed out when I had to leave PG as well.. just couldn't get enough of the place. I took lots of pictures as well and made use of my surface intervals and journey back home to delete most of them.. lol. Saved me some time :)

Looking forward to reading your trip report and seeing you photos!

Off to Manila April 18th,looking to dive Subic bay for few days then head to PG for a week.
Very helpful info here.
Me thinks would be needing my 5mm full suit in 23c, mind you we all different !

Back
Top Bottom