Dumaguete 2015 - some advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russ_UK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm after a bit of help and advice please. We will soon be making our bookings for Feb / March 2015 and will be staying for @ 3 weeks. We will be going back to Sabang for the last half of our vacation again, but looking for somewhere different to visit for the first half. We have been to Coron many times so we want a change of venue and we are looking at the possibility of going to Dumaguete for @ 7 or 8 nights. We would want to do @ 3 or 4 days diving and maybe a bit of exploring / travelling around so we are looking for some recommendations for accommodation that will not break the bank - so guessing our budget is @ 2000php per room per night.

...........and we are looking at the possibility of going to Dumaguete for @ 7 or 8 nights. We would want to do @ 3 or 4 days diving and maybe a bit of exploring / travelling around so we are looking for some recommendations for accommodation that will not break the bank - so guessing our budget is @ 2000php per room per night.
Most dive resorts are outside the City of Dumaguete. Dauin is the place and is just a relative short tricycle ride from the Centre.
Harold Mansion is probably the only exception. It is catered mainly for backpacker rather than diver but they do run diving trip and has a dedicated dive boat. I will stay there if I want top-side attraction.
Liquid in Dauin always receive good review and I am sure Zoe will answer all your questions promptly. Well within your price range(now)!

Mike's Dauin Scuba Resort is a smaller dive resort in Dauin. The room price may be over your 2000php but there is a bungalow resort next door that you can stay at for cheaper fan style rooms and walk next door to dive and eat at Mike's.

Mikes Dauin Beach Resort - Dumaguete, Philippines

There are quite a few places to stay and dive on this stretch of coast on Negros. I'm sure others will chime in here. Be aware that the resorts usually take a boat to dive around Apo Island for the day.

When we were on Negros island we stayed in Dumaguete itself for a few days, as we also wanted to explore a little. We stayed at Harolds Mansion and it was perfect for what we wanted - there's a thread on the pros and cons somewhere on here from very recently about where to stay if you want to read up. We did a 1 day trip to Apo island with their in house centre before moving further down the coast, and I have to say it was excellent. Awesome vis, cool marine life of all shapes & sizes & a professional, informative and friendly guide.

If you are going to do a bit of exploring, why not stay down on the coast for a few days then into the city for a few (or visa versa actually would prob be better)? There's not a great deal to see in the city itself, but we rented bikes and went up into the hills where the landscape and scenery was fantastic. Mist covered lakes, wild horses and other wildlife, healthy green forests & of course stunning views over the ocean & surrounding islands on the way back down. If you get bored of looking around you can always head down to Dauin earlier, or book a days diving through Harolds to fill your remaining free time - even if you choose its not for you to stay there they'l still be happy to organise a dive trip for you.

Happy holiday planning - wish I was going back!

I loved Liquid Dumaguete....the owners are an English lady and her Canadian husband , both dive instructors. The cottages are advertised as budget , but they are beautifully made and maintained and the food is to die for. Dinner is eaten family style , everybody sits at a big table together. The dive operation they run is fantastic , lovely friendly guides. Apo island is less than an hour away and weather permitting you can do a three tank trip there. My hubby and I had been to Raja Ampat earlier in the trip , but I found Apo hugely impressive.

The only downside is the black beach , but the rest of the set up is fab.

Best fishes xx

Dive and stay at Liquid.. You will not be disappointed. Stayed there for a week and had a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom