Malapascua Reminder - neutral buoyancy a must

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mucksavage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here are a couple of photos from this morning's dive with the Thresher Sharks.

We'd like to remind all visitors to Monad Shoal in Malapascua that no matter what your operator tells you or which safari boat you are diving from - basic neutral buoyancy is a must if you want to visit the Thresher Sharks.

For over 4 years most of the dive centres have been telling divers not to crawl and lie on the reef. But many 'divers' still do. This is not diving. Its sitting.

IMG_8973.jpgIMG_8974.jpg

Sitting in coral.jpgDivers lying on reef.jpg

Some things never change - just a reminder to anyone coming to Malapascua - please do not sit or lie on the reef while doing the shark dive, regardless of whether your dive centre 'allows' it This is destroying the habitat of the all important cleaner wrasse which is what attract the sharks. And its kind of obvious that it is also plain wrong.

Video grabs from a dive yesterday taken by a stunned diver . . .

If a local dive operator is allowing it to happen, then that is where pressure needs to be applied. A message on ScubaBoard is much less effective than local enforcement of the operators allowing this to happen. Very difficult to identify one of the many tourist but it should be easy to identify the operator.

I have not made it to Malapascua yet but it is definitely something I plan on doing in the next few years.

If a local dive operator is allowing it to happen, then that is where pressure needs to be applied. A message on ScubaBoard is much less effective than local enforcement of the operators allowing this to happen. Very difficult to identify one of the many tourist but it should be easy to identify the operator.

I have not made it to Malapascua yet but it is definitely something I plan on doing in the next few years.

Fear not, we are also applying pressure where possible at Diveshop owner/manager level. But the thought process here is that if divers are fully informed then they might behave better even if their chosen operator does not enforce correct diving practices.

Good buoyancy should be a must everywhere we dive. I see too many divers bouncing along the bottom no matter were I dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom