Best Diving Option for Philippines in mid-June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivorynightfall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi!

I've gotten fantastic advice on this board so would humbly ask again for your expertise.

I'm an OPW diver, got certified 3 years ago in Hawaii. Since then did Seaventures at Sipadan for 6D/5N and loved it; Mike Ball liveaboard for 5D/4N at Great Barrier Reef last year and had a fantastic time. I need my annual scuba diving fix again, and am thinking the Philippines. What and where do you recommend? I'm open to a dive resort, though I am prone to getting eaten alive by mosquitos and have actually not super high standards for accommodation (people have recommended Evolution and Liquid but I'm not sure how they compare to a liveaboard?). But I might prefer a liveaboard, so everything is all set and I don't have to do much thinking other than to just enjoy. I've been looking at MV Stella Maris, Thresher Shark Divers, Asia Divers and all look interesting but I'm wondering -

Which are the best sites to dive if I like to see sharks, sea turtles, big fish - etc.? I'm just usually terrible at spotting wildlife myself, so macro is hard for me. I've talked with friends who've been and the recommended Apo, Palawan, Malapascua but I'm not sure how to balance those especially given transit.

I'm not too bothered by having to take multiple transit options to get to a location if it is ultimately worth it. I only get like ~3 weeks to relax a year and want to make the most of it. I really do want friendly staff though, since I am not a super technical diver by any means and really want to relax and not have to deal with any drama.

I do like live aboards, could probably do max 8 days at this point and my budget (including all equipment rentals but probably can't include transit there from within Philippines) is probably around $2500 USD.

Earliest I can make it to Manila is June 4th, and that is probably quite difficult. I'd prefer to get there around June 10th and then do diving mid-June. Is diving in early June that much better than mid-June? What are the transition trips like versus the regular trips?

I'm considering getting Advanced certification since I did some night dives in Australia that I loved and want to continue. Should I do before / after / during - or at all?

Thanks so much for your advice in advance!

Last edited:
Sounds like you should prioritize a Tubbataha trip as it would definitely check all your boxes. If you're looking at the M/Y Stella Maris transition trip, ending in Anilao would let you add a couple of days with more lovely coral and fish. While Anilao is best known for its macro, there's plenty to enjoy without whipping out a magnifying glass. Am sure there must be resorts that do Verde Island trips for the best big-fish-aquarium effect.

I'm a fan of Puerto Galera/Asia Divers and they would be a super option for AOW plus relaxing diving. The Sabang wrecks are a terrific night dive. Easy day trips to Verde Island. You would not run out of variety in eight days. Sharks have been seen there, but hardly guaranteed.

Malapascua: for Monad Shoal to see the thresher sharks, the depths involved indicate that you should get your AOW first. Super competent instruction at Evolution on Malapascua, am sure there are other fine ops.

Both Malapascua and PG offer dive-rinse-repeat experiences similar to a liveaboard, with short rides to the dive sites in PG and a little longer for Malapascua. The advantage over a liveaboard is that you can wander around to a wider choice of places to eat in the evening, and chat with a different set of insta-buddies each time. "Resort" may give you a far more upscale impression than is the case in the Philippines. Screened windows are generally available, so mosquitos are really only an issue around your ankles at happy hour and dinner time.

I stand to be corrected by others who've given Palawan more of a try, but El Nido diving was mediocre for me.

Apo Island is a favourite spot too, with excellent instruction and easy, cool night diving and it is relatively inexpensive. Healthy fish and corals, enough current at some sites that you can see pelagics; I have not seen sharks except in the distance, but others have. Also dive-rinse-repeat, but less to do in the evenings and no screens IIRC. One short flight Manila-Dumaguete and another couple of hours at most drive/bangka.

Combining?? Transfer between Apo and Malapascua would take a full, full day. Malapascua is a Manila-Cebu flight and then another 4 hours' drive (expensively, for a single) or longer by public transit.

Sea turtles -- everywhere.

I have been to Puerta Galera/Sabang and had a ball. The dive sites there are really nice. I stayed at Blue Ribbon divers (not nearly so busy as Asia Divers) and really liked it. Asia Divers have a very good reputation but there are a lot of divers there and it did look like a bit of a scrum on the jetty in the morning. Blue Ribbon were great, good for confidence and while I was there a few people completed their OW/AOW.
Puerto Galera Resort & Diving in Puerto Galera

No big stuff in PG though.

I spent 3 weeks in the Philippines in November last year, flew from Edinburgh though Dubai to Manilla. Stayed in Blue ribbon for 7 nights, did some travelling around norhtern Luzon then went wreck diving in Subic Bay and including my flights I spent £2k (GBP, not sure what the US exchange rate is)

Try to get to Oslob, Cebu for the whaleshark dive.....we had a great experience.....other pics/videos here..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157631839358126/
8117441341_c2c0eda49e_o.jpg
[/URL]Betsy whaleshark by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

EDIT:...we did 5 days in Dumaguete(Pura Vida Resort) & 5 days on Cebu(Turtle Bay Resort)......total cost was ~ 3k USD PP--from L.A. on, if I remember correctly--in late 2012......

Seems like you're on the right track already. To make it easier to assist you can you clarify how many days you have in the Philippines and if all of them can be devoted to diving or you have other things to do?

Regardless of destination I'd saw AOW is a must. Certainly in Malapascua the decent shops will require it for you to dive with the Threshers.

Apo, Palawan and Malapascua is certainly spreading yourself around and most folks find it's better to organise one trip in one "zone" of the Philippines like the Visayas, and then another trip in the future to hit the other regions.

Regardless of destination I'd saw AOW is a must. Certainly in Malapascua the decent shops will require it for you to dive with the Threshers.

Hi Ser Matt. Just wanted to clarify whether an AOW certification is mandatory or proof of deep diving experience (e.g. OW certification only but has a logbook with lots of advanced-level dives logged) will suffice to dive with the threshers. Some people I know were asking...

-marco

---------- Post added May 18th, 2014 at 07:35 PM ----------

Ivorynightfall,

Tubattaha would definitely be the best place for big stuff, but I'm not sure if anybody still goes there in June. Tubattaha season is usually from March-May; anybody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, if you're bent on getting an AOW certification you'll probably be better off doing it from a resort. If you're worried about not getting as many dives in as you would on a liveaboard, don't be. Some resorts, like Atlantis in Puerto Galera and Dumaguete, offer up to 5 dives a day.

Hi Ser Matt. Just wanted to clarify whether an AOW certification is mandatory or proof of deep diving experience (e.g. OW certification only but has a logbook with lots of advanced-level dives logged) will suffice to dive with the threshers. Some people I know were asking...

-marco

Hi Marco, you can leave out the Sir as you don't work for me anymore! :D

In simple terms yes, a logbook with experience can be accepted, however we reserve the right to enforce AOW training if the diver turns out to be really crappy in the water.

We also emphasise to people that we are liable if we take them diving outside their qualifications and their insurance will not be valid if they dive outside their qualifications, so the smart thing is to get AOW certified. It doesn't matter if you have 5,000 dives, if you are only OW certified your insurance won't pay when you get hurt diving at 19m or below.

That's assuming they're smart enough to have insurance!

Personally I'd head first to Puerto Galera/ Action divers and do your advanced certificate there, as you will need it for other places. Then Cebu, don't stay there go to Malapasqua island and back to Moalbaol. Depending on time Bohol/ Alona beach is good as well.
All above can be done by public transport to save money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom