Pelagic Diving Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
Where is there diving in the philippines which offers large palegic diving or at least huge schools of fish ? I have dove Malapascua before and loved the Thresher sharks but the coral was poor.
Is Apo reef any good for big stuff ? or Apo Island ? I always confsue the two. Any tips much appreciated.

Hi Scubajunky17,
Apo Island has a few "point" dives that would definitely fit the bill for seeing the big stuff. Apo is one of the world's best known community-organized marine sanctuaries and at present, the island is home to over 650 documented species of fish and estimated to have over 400 species of corals.

Here's just a few of Apo Island's signature dive sites with specifics:

Coconut Point - Sometimes known as the 'washing machine'. this site is usually done as a dirt dive because of the prevailing currents that are almost always present. This current, however, ensures
prolific marine life so there is a high probability to see a large school of Big Eye Trevally, solitary Trevally out on the hunt for prey, Spanish Mackerel, Dogtooth Tuna, Midnight Snappers, Barracuda and clouds of Anthias and Fusiliers are always present. The sloping reef section of this site is always a good place to look for huge Green Turtles and Banded Sea Kraits and occasionally meter-long Bumphead Parrotfish are seen on this site. At one point there is a sand channel running between two rock cliffs, which provides shelter form the current and is an excellent place to sit and watch the show! At slack tide and during certain phases of the moon, Coconut is suitable for novice divers, but otherwise it is strictly for advanced divers with drift doing experience.

Cogun Point is similar to Coconut in that itisi often subjected to a strong current, making it an exhilarating drift dive that is only suitable for more experienced divers. The dive starts on a sloping reef with excellent Coral coverage, both hard and soft, and Sponges in many different shapes and colors. As you drift along with the current, you will reach a wall covered with luxurious Soft Corals in many different hues. The strong currents guarantee remarkable marine life activity, with all kings of fish cruising the reef and a resident school of Big Eye Trevally hanging in the blue. If the current isn't too strong you may be able to swim off the reef and get right into the center of the school, having the swirling mass of fish circumnavigate you. It is quite common, when the current is running hard, to drift straight through to Mamsa Point
:cool2:

Mamsa Point - Mamsa is the local word for Trevally and, as you would expect, this is an excellent place to see them. A resident school of Big Eye Trevally, that can be hundreds strong, can be seen here and are sometimes very near the reef, and at other times, move off into the blue. For protection against predators they swim in a spiraling circular motion, forming a huge spinning ball of fish! You can also see other large pelagic fish like Dogtooth Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Giant Trevally and Rainbow Runners. The topography is similar to Cogon, so a sloping reef leading into a steep wall, which is covered in Hard and Soft Corals. There are also numerous Barrel Sponges, Tube Sponges, Anemones and Crinoids that perch themselves on top of the Corals in the current prone areas ready to pick Plankton from the water as it floats by. Like all of Apo's dive sites, you will see many other smaller reef fishes that dance in the current, occasionally diving into the reef for cover from passing Bluefin Trevally out on the hunt.

If you'd like more information on other dive sites on Apo Island you can visit our website at:
Atlantis Dive Resort Dumaguete - Apo Island Dive Sites

Close to Apo Island and Dumaguete, on the nearby island of Cebu, is Oslob with interactions with Whale Sharks. Fishermen in the province of Oslob started feeding Whale sharks with shrimp they catch at night in late 2011. Since then the sharks have become regular visitors to the area and sightings are almost guaranteed on a daily basis.

Hi all,
Where is there diving in the philippines which offers large palegic diving or at least huge schools of fish ? I have dove Malapascua before and loved the Thresher sharks but the coral was poor.
Is Apo reef any good for big stuff ? or Apo Island ? I always confsue the two. Any tips much appreciated.
These two places are miles apart in everything. Apo Island is good but Apo Reef is in different league. The only problem is getting there!! Day trip is long and tiresome and liveaboard is not that frequent.
Better option would be Tubattaha which is dive-able from mid March to mid June and by liveaboard only.

Hi Scubajunky17,

As mentioned by Centrals, in the Philippines, Tubbataha would be the number one recommendation for large pelagic and schools from March to June only by live aboard, for sardine schools near Moalboal, jacks and sometimes barracudas near Balicasag and Apo Island an again Moalboal all year round from resorts… For Apo Reef either live aboard from Oct-Feb or better from Calintaan in Mindoro where they offer overnight trips with high speed boats and 2 diving days each trip, best from Nov-May… For whalesharks (snorkeling) Donsol is great from Feb-May but for scuba with the gentle giants all reay round Olsob not far from Moalboal (although the locals are hand feeding and touching them which is obviously unacceptable for many divers and dive centers). However, for best encounters with large pelagic all year round including plenty of sharks, jacks and barracuda schools, some turtles, napoleons, etc., I would recommend Palau without a doubt, just 2h15’ from Manila by plane twice a week..

Hope it helps :wink:

....However, for best encounters with large pelagic all year round including plenty of sharks, jacks and barracuda schools, some turtles, napoleons, etc., I would recommend Palau without a doubt, just 2h15’ from Manila by plane twice a week..
Dived both Tubattaha and Palau on few occasions. They are comparable in terms of diving except the cost!

I recently (3 months ago) dived Apo island incl Cogon point and other spots, the place was severely hit by typhoons on its windward (east side), corals are really bad. To be honest I was also very disappointed especially with the lack of fish, some big Giant trevallies but I probably missed the "fish school". The only good thing I keep from Apo is the huge size of the nudibranches found on the western side.

... and Oslob, oh well, only if you like diving in a circus with boatloads of chinese snorkelers. Made me feel more like in Disneyland than a dive place.

Are you stuck with PIs : some places in Indonesia (Bali, Komodo, RA) or M'sia (Siapadan) are better for fish schools and biomass.

Last edited:
If you want big shoals of sardines than Moalboal has them. Either around Pescador Island or more lately, the Savedra house reef right next to the beach.

Sardines...Loads of Sardines by WhitcombeRD, on Flickr

That said, the country isn't really that known for big pelagics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom