Anilao vs. Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinl4270

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello PPD,

I am lucky enough to be headed to Manila for an unspecified period of time. I notice that almost everyone that is in Manila and wants to do some diving heads out to Anilao for the day/weekend.
I don't recall seeing threads on taking day trips to Subic for diving. Google maps has Subic as having a shorter drive time. I was hoping some of the divers here could shed some light on why there are more trips to Anilao?
I am guessing some of it has to do with the different diving in each place. I have not been to Subic yet, but have read it's lots of wreck and technical diving. I did my OW in Anilao a few years ago. It was my first dives, so I don't remember much, but I know they are world famous for macro and muck diving there.

Thanks for any and all responses.

PS I would like to know how hard is it to travel to Subic vs Anilao (public or private) are they both comparable for lodging and diving conditions/ number of dives per day?

I am sure Andy will respond soon.

I believe Subic Bay holds more for wrecks and tech stuff, planning to go there at some point myself as I heard good things after my friends from Coastal Technical Divers in Fujairah dived there earlier this year.

Thanks Sea. You are still in the Middle East I take it. I've managed to escape for the time being. LOL.

I have gotten the impression as well that Subic is more for tech divers as most of the wrecks there are pretty deep.

Most of the wrecks in Subic Bay is actually quite shallow except Sakura Maru(54m)!
Getting there:
Anilao: Public bus to Batangas then jeepney but you might need to change it at least once.
Subic Bay: Public bus by Victory Liner(Pasay, Cubao) to Olongapo, express takes about 2hrs otherwise it will be around 4hrs!! Some dive shops are inside the Free Port while others are over in Bario Baretto and Baloy Beach. So you have to utilize trike or jeepney again. BTW, there is no public transport inside the Free Port so you will be dropped off at the "Gate" and start walking or take a taxi if available. Jeepeny can only drop you off along the National Highway(Subic) so it is fine if you diving with Arizona but you need either to walk or take a trike to either Blue Rock or Johan in Baloy Beach.
Day trip to both places mean very early start.
Anilao: dive, eat and sleep from the same place. No night life. Diving can be expensive if there is no one to share the cost of the boat and DM!!
Subic Bay: Your choice on accommodation, dive operator and restaurant. Plenty of bars along the National Highway. Divng rate is fixed. I don't think night dive is available(could be wrong on this). Viz is pretty bad in rainly season(now).

Subic has world-class wreck diving. But less in the way of critters, coral and water clarity. Anilao, as u know, offers spectacular macro diving and good viz.

The biggest factor in travel time is actually just getting through Manila. For most people staying in Pasay, Makati, Paranaque or Alabang etc, it's much quicker to jump onto the toll road, onto the southern expressway and escape Manila traffic. To get north, onto the northern expressway means fighting along the length of EDSA or C5 etc... that can add hours to your travel. The trick, with getting to Subic quickly, is to leave early am or late pm... thus avoiding the traffic.

In Anilao you are generally restricted to a single resort... and they are comparatively expensive. Subic offers a wider range of accommodation and dining choices... so you can plan to a wider variety of budgets. Backpacker grade rooms can be found for 500php a night (fan only/cold shower). Or you can go luxury and spend over 4000php a night.. There is a big expat community in Subic - so lots of western restaurants, seafood/steak grills, texmex, japanese, etc etc

Links:

Travel Directions to Subic Bay

History of Subic Bay

Dive Sites of Subic Bay

Philippines Travel Advice and Tips For Scuba Divers

Diving in Anilao and Batangas

The fare for the blue jeepney ouside the Victory Liner Bus Terminal in Olongapo to the top of Baloy Beach is P13.00. It takes 18 passengers regardless of "size"!! Anyone travelling with luggage should sit at the back with either the luggage on the floor or on the seat(extra payment).
Victory Liner has express service between Olongapo and Manila and takes just over 2hrs!!! It makes only one stop at Dau(outside Angeles). Unfortunately the schedule is patchy.
It is easier to travel from Subic to Manila than Anilao in the evening.
Puerto Galera is another option but you do need to stay overnight because of ferry schedule. There is a 05:30 ferry from Sabang to Batangas so you should be able to get into Manila around 10:00.

Some of the Victory Liner buses going from Manila to Olongapo will continue to Iba. This bus can drop you off at the top of the road leading to Baloy Beach. Therefore no need to change to a jeepney in Olongapo. But you do need to know where to get off, tell the conductor first.

Last edited:
The fare for the blue jeepney ouside the Victory Liner Bus Terminal in Olongapo to the top of Baloy Beach is P13.00. It takes 18 passengers regardless of "size"!! Anyone travelling with luggage should sit at the back with either the luggage on the floor or on the seat(extra payment).

You sit where there is space (people fill up from the back), or go to the jeepney at the back of the queue get in an empty one...and prepare to wait. If your luggage is big enough to take up the space of a paying customer and the jeepney is full, you will for the baggage (another 13php).

With large luggage, just stump up 150php for a trike. If travelling 3-4 people, a taxi (400php) makes sense... Both are readily available at the Olongapo Bus terminal.

Victory Liner has express service between Olongapo and Manila and takes just over 2hrs!!! It makes only one stop at Dau(outside Angeles).

Way out with your timings... you never caught it did you? Or was that a typo?

Leaving Manila (Pasay - long way / Cubao - shorter) can take itself 2-5 hours, depending on traffic, floods, road construction etc. then 1.5-2 hours on SLEX to Dau/Angeles/Clark. A 15 minute rest stop. Then 1 hour from Dau to Olongapo.

In real terms, it is Manila traffic that has the biggest bearing on transit time. I've caught the 'express' bus and it has taken me 7 hours. I have caught to regular (via San Fernando city) and it has taken me 3 hours.

I have never, in 6 years, routinely using the buses, made the journey in anything like 2 hours.... even travelling at OMG-early in the morning...

Unfortunately the schedule is patchy.

Departure schedule is routine and they adhere well to it (arrival schedule not so... as explained...Manila traffic).

From memory, regular/San Fernando buses leave Victory Liner EDSA/Pasay from 2.30am...and every 30 minutes thereafter. Last service is at 7pm, with isolated 'late night' buses leaving around 10pm and 12am. The Express buses are every 2 hours (I need to check).. as they alternate hourly departure from Pasay or Cubao.

There is very little 'real' difference between an express or regular bus, as the primary factor is always Manila traffic. Beyond that most of the journey is on expressway (SLEX). The 'regular' bus then does a shorter route via San Fernando... but can get congested there in rush hour am/pm or stuck behinda few 'slow movers' at is on a single lane highway. The 'express' bus goes a longer way, via Angeles/Clark, but sticks to expressway throughout.

The 'express' bus via Clark has some really nice views of Mt Pinatubo and the mountains/rice fields between Clark and Subic...

Way out with your timings... you never caught it did you? Or was that a typo?

Leaving Manila (Pasay - long way / Cubao - shorter) can take itself 2-5 hours, depending on traffic, floods, road construction etc. then 1.5-2 hours on SLEX to Dau/Angeles/Clark. A 15 minute rest stop. Then 1 hour from Dau to Olongapo.

In real terms, it is Manila traffic that has the biggest bearing on transit time. I've caught the 'express' bus and it has taken me 7 hours. I have caught to regular (via San Fernando city) and it has taken me 3 hours.

I have never, in 6 years, routinely using the buses, made the journey in anything like 2 hours.... even travelling at OMG-early in the morning...

Departure schedule is routine and they adhere well to it (arrival schedule not so... as explained...Manila traffic).

From memory, regular/San Fernando buses leave Victory Liner EDSA/Pasay from 2.30am...and every 30 minutes thereafter. Last service is at 7pm, with isolated 'late night' buses leaving around 10pm and 12am. The Express buses are every 2 hours (I need to check).. as they alternate hourly departure from Pasay or Cubao.

There is very little 'real' difference between an express or regular bus, as the primary factor is always Manila traffic. Beyond that most of the journey is on expressway (SLEX). The 'regular' bus then does a shorter route via San Fernando... but can get congested there in rush hour am/pm or stuck behinda few 'slow movers' at is on a single lane highway. The 'express' bus goes a longer way, via Angeles/Clark, but sticks to expressway throughout.

The 'express' bus via Clark has some really nice views of Mt Pinatubo and the mountains/rice fields between Clark and Subic...
Caught the express bus couple of times from Olongapo to Pasay in the morning and even the deluxe bus once. 45mins to Dau and then Pasay around 2hrs later. So the journey should be over 3hrs. However, never ever able to catch any express from Pasay in the afternoon.
Slow bus will pick up and drop off passengers along the route and there is even a food stop at Double Happiness(15mins). While the express only makes one stop at Dau before hitting Manila.
Only few times a day will there be bus linking Pasay and Iba therefore the schedule is "patchy".
Fixed Schedule? The clark(Pasay) did not even write the departure time on the ticket and when I asked. She said she had no idea!!! Luckily this only happened twice when the bus was nearly empty. Of course there was delay on the departure.

However, never ever able to catch any express from Pasay in the afternoon.

There's timetables now at the terminals. Express bus run throughout the day, alternating between Cubao and Pasay start/end.

Slow bus will pick up and drop off passengers along the route...

All the buses do pick-up and drop-off. However, MMDA have cracked down on unscheduled stopping in Manila nowadays, which eases the problem. That said, it still happens (and nice too... when they drop me at Ayala).

Obviously, the bus going via San Fernando has more cause to stop frequently, not many people want to catch, or leave, a bus along the SLEX/SCTEX. :wink:

The clark(Pasay) did not even write the departure time on the ticket and when I asked. She said she had no idea!!! Luckily this only happened twice when the bus was nearly empty. Of course there was delay on the departure.

That's odd, because I catch those buses maybe twice monthly, for the last 6 years and the clerks always knew the bus schedules and departures. Perhaps you were unlucky to meet some temporary worker, or they just gave you some vague brush-off because of problems understanding your accent...and not wanting to talk with you in English (that happens a lot in the Philippines).

I've always found the buses to leave punctually. It's a reliable service, by Philippines' standards.

The time table is always displayed on the ticket booth.
Bus does leave Olongapo on time(morning) and even earlier if the bus is full but NOT always in Pasay(afternoon). I have never caught any afternoon bus in Olongapo or morning bus in Pasay so no comment.
The extra expenditure(peanut) on Express is well worth it even you are not in a hurry.
The regular bus is P218.00 + P5.00(travel insurance).

Back
Top Bottom