Duamaguete - Dauin in December/January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indiedive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am planning for next diving trip in the end of December to mid January. Does anyone know how is the weather and sea condition in Duamaguete - Duin during these period?

Thank you!

December and January is winter in the Visayas. It can be OK , as in sunny and mid to high twenties. However last January I was there and ended up leaving because the weather was so cold and wet. December hadn't been great either. However I was assured that this was the exception rather than the rule...and the conditions underwater were good , not brilliant. It is a fabulous area though that has everything , amazing muck diving and wonderful reefs on Apo Island.

Best fishes

December and January is winter in the Visayas. It can be OK , as in sunny and mid to high twenties. However last January I was there and ended up leaving because the weather was so cold and wet. December hadn't been great either. However I was assured that this was the exception rather than the rule...and the conditions underwater were good , not brilliant. It is a fabulous area though that has everything , amazing muck diving and wonderful reefs on Apo Island.

Best fishes

Tippytoes had a run of bad luck last January:depressed:. I've been a few times in January and the weather was just fine. Sometimes a brief storm comes through that might limit access to Apo, but they usually clear quickly. Great diving in the area with great muck and Apo has some closed area's but can be really great also. If the El Nino stays around I've heard that it brings dry weather to that area of the globe. All that said we're going back to the Philippines again this year after a few year hiatus.

Was there(Pura Vida Resort & then on to Cebu, Turtle Bay Resort) in Oct of '12------perfect weather.....1 month later a big typhoon went thru leaving a lot of damage in the PI........I'm guessing it's a crap shoot ---@ times---trying to figure that stuff out......Now, saying that, here in S Louisiana, we only have to worry about that 'stuff June thru (basically) October......

Last edited:
Many thanks Tippytoes12, dirtfarmer, diver 85! Nowadays it is getting harder to predict weather globally :( Certainly I will take your experience as consideration! So looking forward to see the critters there..

When I lived there, Xmas time was fairly changeable with some fairly decent electrical storms. IMO the further you go in to January, the more settled it should become.

Dec/Jan/Feb, the weather can change from the best to the worst very quickly.
Dry season starts late March.

I suggest you Thalatta Resort as it is southern than Dauin.
It offers a bigger range of dive sites to reach compare to the other resorts around Dumaguete.
It is also only 20mns away from Apo (compare to the 45/50 mns from Dauin) witch is really a big plus.
During the same day trip you can do 3 dives in Apo when you will do only 2 with other resorts.

Also,the dive centre staff has built just recently an artificial reef just in front of the resort, at -20 metres.
It adds a great interest to the already very interesting muck dive that it is.
Pictures on Thalatta Resort's FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thalatta-Resort/125521160885521

Hope i have been of some help,enjoy your bubbles.

BF

Bulleurfou, you are incorrect – I did a 3 dive day trip to Apo Island (I presume you mean Apo Island when you say Apo) in June this year with Sea Explorers at Pura Vida Resort and the boat trip was about 40 minutes, not really such a big deal than 20 mins. Happy diving.

Dec/Jan/Feb, the weather can change from the best to the worst very quickly.
Dry season starts late March.

I suggest you Thalatta Resort as it is southern than Dauin.
It offers a bigger range of dive sites to reach compare to the other resorts around Dumaguete.
It is also only 20mns away from Apo (compare to the 45/50 mns from Dauin) witch is really a big plus.
During the same day trip you can do 3 dives in Apo when you will do only 2 with other resorts.

Also,the dive centre staff has built just recently an artificial reef just in front of the resort, at -20 metres.
It adds a great interest to the already very interesting muck dive that it is.
Pictures on Thalatta Resort's FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thalatta-Resort/125521160885521

Hope i have been of some help,enjoy your bubbles.

BF
And when I dived with Liquid , we also did three dives on Apo. It is truly a world class site , only doing two would be such a shame.From what I remember all the other boats seemed to be doing three as well.

Good luck with your new resort.

Back
Top Bottom