Bohol Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi SB:

Our LDS did a trip to Moalboal early this year. We loved the Philippines. The resort we stayed at in Moalboal (Magic Island Resort) is building a new one in Bohol and we'd like to stay with them again. May I have some of your thoughts on Bohol diving? If I read my map correctly, the new reort will be on the east coast of Bohol near the town of Anda.
Thanks for any descriptions of the diving you have.

Rob

I thought that the diving in Balisacag was even better than in Maolboal.....beautiful white sandy bottom with coral bommies , lots of fish and masses of turtles. However on the other side , where Anda is is considered to be even better again. It should also be within reach of Southern Leyte which is considered fantastic. Bohol is a beautiful island and seeing the tastiers is a unique experience.

Alona Beach was very nice when I first visited in 1998. But the development over last several yrs meant scuba diving is no longer the main reason that tourists arrived!!! The rustic feel of the beach has gone for ever. Cement and concrete had replaced the local material!!! Live music blasting away at night etc etc. What a pity!
Anda is quite a distance from Tagbilaren(ferry and flight). No idea what the diving like over there. But given the experience that I had on Alona Beach last yr. Hurry up before the mass toursim arrive and destroy th place.

I did three weeks in Bohol last summer. The diving there is amazing. The massive school of jacks at Balisacag Island makes the trip worthwhile by itself. Bohol is in my top three after Verde Island in Puerto Galera and Apo Island near Dauin. (I have not done Tubataha reef yet, so I imagine my top three will change)
I had heard from the locals that traffic had really increased just as Centrals had mentioned. It is not nearly as bad as Boracay, but it may get there. I have heard they are building a new airport right near the beach, so it is probably only going to get worse.

Thanks all. From what I've seen from the initial resort construction pictures, there is nothing around this site. The resort should be open sometime in 2015. We are thinking about 2016, so, hopefully the new airport won't be open yet and the Anda area will still be "quiet."

Rob

Thanks all. From what I've seen from the initial resort construction pictures, there is nothing around this site. The resort should be open sometime in 2015. We are thinking about 2016, so, hopefully the new airport won't be open yet and the Anda area will still be "quiet."
Rob
Anda is miles and miles(~2hrs drive) away from Tagbilaren so getting there won't be easy and economical!

Thanks, Centrals. When we went to their resort in Moalboal, it was 3 hours from Cebu City and they picked up group and drove us all back to the airport in a bus for no charge. We're hoping for something similar. After 20+ hours of flying, the 3 hour car ride was not fun...but part of the price you pay, I guess. We really like the owners and will discuss their "travel" policy for the new resort when we see them at DEMA in November.
PS, my wife and I flew separately on Cathay Pacific to use miles for business class and stayed overnight both ways in Hong Kong. What an amazing airport! Taking the bus into the city for our longer overnight was tons of fun as well.

Rob

Bohol is one of my favourite dive areas within the Philippines, I usually dive with "Fun Divers" (Alona beach). The airport and infrastructure are well underway, I was there in March, 2014.
Yes, it will soon be like Boracay, noisy, busy, pity! Do keep us informed about Anda! By the way, Malapascua is not to be missed!

Balicasag island off the coast of Panglao had some incredible wall dives. Huge schools of Jacks and giant sea turtles everywhere (saw 10 on one dive and spoke to another diver who saw 21)

---------- Post added October 1st, 2014 at 01:15 AM ----------

Can't comment on Anda aside from it being obviously a longer and pricier trip from Tag-b

peewee-I'd contact(PM) Gilligan on this board---he's an expat that lives on Bohol.........Here's a link to a picpost of his that I have saved(can get a PM off to him from it)--------also---super nice guy that loves to dive..........good luck...btw, we were on Moalboal a couple years ago & stayed @ Turtle Bay Resort-LOVED the diving there .....................http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/481923-april-30-bohol-pics.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom