Help me choose a dive operator in Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DesertEagle

Contributor
Reaction score
In late october I will be in Puerto Galera for 6 nights. I started diving 20 years ago and have about 160 logged dives, but still only a NAUI Openwater I certification. During my vistit I am hoping to visit the "fishiest" reefs possible. I enjoy seeing massive schools of anthias . Please help me with a few questions:

Will most dive operators take me to the Canyons and Verde with a regular c-card?
I'd be open to doing an advanced course if they let me take photos during the dives (after appropriate skill checks, of course)

Which companies have multiple boats? I don't want to be in a position where they don't go out of Sabang bay. My concern is based on experience elsehwere in the world where the dive operator was being cheap or lazy. I really want to see Verde, Canyons and Kilima steps. A company that goes there daily, or could arrange a trip is what I hope to find. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Depends on budget... lots of good dive ops there. I chose Action Divers because of reviews I had read and comments from friends who dove with them plus they put together a very reasonable package for me. I do not need "creature comforts" in a resort and the room they gave me at Banana Moon was inexpensive ($20/night including breakfast), had good WiFi and a beautiful view of Verde Island.

Check out Asian Divers. They have both bankas and speedboats and you'll be able to have your say in where to dive. They arrange up to 5 dives a day, with Verde Island trips if there is enough people for it. Worth a look anyways.

Atlantis does regular trips to Verde. The resort is on the higher-end side of things though. They'll let you do the advanced sites if you show proof that you've been to similar dives before and if you show them that you know what you're doing in the first few dives.

Take note that some dive insurance providers will only cover you to 60' if you only have an OW certification, so check your policy if you have one.

Diving experience/skill is far more important than a plastic card.
You do need to be at least AOW for Canyons(~28m).
Verde Island is fine for OW(experience) because it is a wall dive. Getting there is weather permitted. You can charter a whole boat(~US$100.00) for yourself and the guide as long as you don't mind to pay for it.
Kilimar Steps is easy but NOT Kilimar Drift on strong ebb.
Anyone can bring his/her camera underwater without ever been asked.
Which dive operator(excluding Korean) have several boats? Asia Divers, Atlantis, La Laguna Beach Club(LBC) etc. But late Oct is very quiet so not a real problem regarding dive boat unless you insist to be left alone(with guide). Captain Gregg's, Frontier, Sabang Inn, Sea Rider and South Sea are also fine.
If you want to stay somewhere quiet and a small beach for sun worshipping then Big La Laguna is the place. Staying at Campbell and dive with LBC. But if you are an night owl then....

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out Asia Divers, Action Divers and South Sea Divers.

Now is as good a time as any for the advanced course. It's a shame that I didn't do it much earlier, but I was in college and I did my first dives when it was snowing.

+1 for Asia Divers, great dive outfit.

Atlantis is good too but more expensive, and the last time I dived with them they only offered inclusive packages with meals.

October can be a bit iffy weather wise, tail end of typhoon season

Atlantis is good too but more expensive, and the last time I dived with them they only offered inclusive packages with meals.
There are so many places to choose for quality food eg. BBQ at Captain Gregg's.

There are so many places to choose for quality food eg. BBQ at Captain Gregg's.

I totally agree which is why when I returned I stayed at El Galleon and dived with Asia Divers. I found Atlantis's food choice a bit repetitive even though I stayed there for a week

Back
Top Bottom