Help My Head From Spinning Please! - The Philippines!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambrincat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All, Thanks in advance for your replies. My wife and I are traveling to Philippines from December 26th into early January. I have completed 2 days of research online and my head is spinning...... I need some guidance please!

About US:
- New to diving
- We have out Advanced Open Water with 16 dives all in Thailand - Similian Island etc (Just Amazing)

What We Want Out Of The Philippenes:

- We will be in the Philippines for nearly 2 weeks
- After the diving we will be holiday staying in Manilla
- We want to dive for 4 days, happy with a Liveaboard or shore or whatever
- We want awesome color coral and a busy dive sites (lots of fish all sizes - No need for Mantas and Whale Sharks as we chased those in Thailand and they are now off the bucket list)
- Don't want to go to sites that just focus on Macro
- Dont want to go to sites where they have been affected by the typhoon and the coral is dead and there are not many fish
- Dont want to go to sites where there is not much to see under water

Notes:
- I read on this forum someone say the Philippenes is all about macro and coral...Is that True?
- How will it compare to Thailand?
- Please let me know you suggestions and why
- I am so confused with all the locations and people saying parts are affected by the typhoon, some parts you cant go to at this time of year.

I NEED SOME SERIOUS GUIDANCE HERE. People mention so many amazing places but It seems so hard to choose, these are just some of the ones people are raving about:

:Apo Island (Everyone keep raving about this.... But some say it got smashed by the typhoon and its also over crowded....Is this true?)
:Coron
:ANILAO
:Bantangas
:puerto Galera
:verde island
:Malapascua
:Tubbataha Reef (Not available this time of year?)
:Bohol
:Apo Reef
:Moalboal/Cebu

How Do I Decide?????

Sam

The corals and color we saw at Sabang Bay were just stunning, and Verde Island had TONS of fish (and the current to match). We stayed at Atlantis, which is a top drawer facility with lovely accommodations, excellent food, and a very professional dive operation. And the guy who runs the bar plays the BEST music :)

Puerto Galera which is about 4 hrs from Manila by car and boat. Anilao is closer but it is mainly for macro.
Try La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre which is under Aussie management.
Reservation is highly recommended over your suggested period.
I haven't dived Thailand for a very long time becasue Philippines is simply better and cheaper. BTW, you might regret your decision for only diving 4 days!!
Verde Island(special trip from PG) is probably a bit more challenging for your experience!! But your dm should be able to advice you on this.

Moalboal is also suitable for beginner but why wasting time and money for an additional domestic flight. But the school of sardines is really something else.

Id recommend Sabang/Puerto Galera too - I dived with Sky at South Sea Divers and had a great time. Cant speak for the rest of the Philippines but was very impressed with the reef quality at Sabang v say Phuket.

Thanks so much for your comments peoples. Does anyone have anything to say about Apo Island (Everyone keep raving about this.... But some say it got smashed by the typhoon and its also over crowded....Is this true?)??

Thanks so much for your comments peoples. Does anyone have anything to say about Apo Island (Everyone keep raving about this.... But some say it got smashed by the typhoon and its also over crowded....Is this true?)??
1. Going to Apo Island involve a domestic flight to Dumaguete.
2. Only certain area was damaged by typhoon.
3. Over crowded? I don't think so. But the selection of sites are pretty limited because it is a small island.
4. Apo Island or PG? My vote go to PG but you can't go wrong with both places.
Have a nice trip.

Just my 2 psi.
Apo island is amazing and only one side was really damaged. Plus there are some interesting sites in Dauin like their sanctuary and the thermal hotsprings with schools of barracuda. Downside is there is not much topside.
PG and Verde Island are incredible but pretty difficult and advanced diving. The currents rip there and you really need experienced guides to get you into positions before current/tide changes.
Bohol and Balicasag (sp) are really fantastic and good for all level of divers. Turtles everywhere big schools of Jacks. Loads of corals and small interesting creatures. Plus more to do topside. And if memory serves it's only an hour and a half flight and 30 minute van ride from Manila verses 3 hours by van and an hour by boat to PG. I think Dumaguete Apo Island is roughly 1.5 hour flight and 30 minutes by van.
Like others have said though almost anywhere you go will be amazing.

Puerto Galera which is about 4 hrs from Manila by car and boat. Anilao is closer but it is mainly for macro.
Try La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre which is under Aussie management.
Reservation is highly recommended over your suggested period.
I haven't dived Thailand for a very long time becasue Philippines is simply better and cheaper. BTW, you might regret your decision for only diving 4 days!!
Verde Island(special trip from PG) is probably a bit more challenging for your experience!! But your dm should be able to advice you on this.

Moalboal is also suitable for beginner but why wasting time and money for an additional domestic flight. But the school of sardines is really something else.

Thanks Centrals for you help. When you say Reservations do you mean book the accommodation? (which i will surely do) or do you have to book your dives that you will be doing over the 4 days as well? Or do we speak to the dive shop and just work out day by day where we will be going?

I have found it cheaper at times if you talk to the hotel/dive shop and book everything at once. I usually ask for a bundle price hotel, breakfast and X amount of dives. Some will give a nice discount if they know you will spend most of your money with them. Then one you get to the resort most have multiple boats and where they will be diving the next day. You can decide which ones you want to use your pre-paid dives on. Plus sometimes it's easier to pre-pay online as getting physical cash in the Philippines can be difficult and operators pass credit card usage fees onto you. Sometimes as high as an extra 5%.

Thanks Centrals for you help. When you say Reservations do you mean book the accommodation? (which i will surely do) or do you have to book your dives that you will be doing over the 4 days as well? Or do we speak to the dive shop and just work out day by day where we will be going?
I meant accommodation ONLY.
Some dive shops will offer slight discount for package etc etc. You really have to enquire with each individual operator to find out who is giving the "best" deal.
"Cheap" and "expensive" have no bearing on the final services!!
Every one will be very busy over Christmas and New Year period so standard/flexibility might suffer accordingly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom