October - Dumaguete v Palawan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying to sort out a dive trip from HK for the National Day holiday period. Basically can get away from 1 Oct - 5 Oct.

Looking two options in the Phils - Dumaguete or Palawan. I think with both options I'll be travelling on 1 Oct and 5 Oct and therefore would get three days of diving in.

Out of the two options, what do you guys recommend? Also, Oct good time for both places?

Thanks in advance!

If I have 5 days to spend on a diving trip in Philippines then the logical choice would be either Anilao, Puerto Galera or Subic Bay.
But if I have to make a choice between Dumaguete and Palawan then I would chose Coron over Dumaguete anytime. I was not impressed by El Nido and Honda Bay on my last visit yrs ago.
Cebu Pacific fly directly to Cebu but the return direct flight is 06:30!!!!! So you have to sit out the whole afternoon on the day before. Check CX/PAL for their code shared flight.
If you really want three full diving days then my first suggestion is your only safe choice. Of course you can cut short your no fly penalty, your choice your life.

Oct is still typhoon season!

Reactions: pin
Hi Pin

My vote would be for Dumaguete (Dauin). the weather is still good in October as the area is pretty protected from the northern typhoons. Local dive sites are a very short ride from any of the the coastal resorts and the critters are great.

Cebu Pacific have routes from HK via MNL to DGT that will get you there at 8am on the 1st, the return flight on the 5th is 08:55 or 16:55 (arriving on 6th at 01:30 am) if you don't mind travelling through the early hours then you can maximise your dive time

happy diving!

Cebu Pacific have routes from HK via MNL to DGT that will get you there at 8am on the 1st, the return flight on the 5th is 08:55 or 16:55 (arriving on 6th at 01:30 am) if you don't mind travelling through the early hours then you can maximise your dive time
1. The op would have to arrive in Manila at 2355(30th Sept) and wait several hrs for the connection to Dumaguete. Would he be in any good state to dive on the same day?
2. The only suitable return flight from Dumaguete to Manila is 0855!! Meaning that he would have to pack up diving around noon the day before.

However, if the op is willing to travel to Manila late on 30th Sept, he can then travel straight to Anilao, sleep for few hrs and ready to dive. In this case he would have more than 3 FULL days of diving.

Hey Centrals...I looked up cebu pacific flights from Hong Kong and there are connecting flights that fit with my reply ;-)

ceb pac flights.jpg

Hey Centrals...I looked up cebu pacific flights from Hong Kong and there are connecting flights that fit with my reply ;-)
I did not realize that 5J has introduced those special flights(5J 120/121) over the holiday period! In that case your suggestion sound pretty good as long as the op does not mind about the late/early schedule.

Thanks all for suggestions, apologies for not replying sooner.

Crazy flight times, I'm fine with. Did Bohol flying with 5J HKG to Cebu and then first boat over, followed by morning dives previously. It was a tiring day, but hey, wanted to squeeze in as many dives as possible!

My plan would have been to fly out on 1 Oct, to get to my destination. On way back would have flown out on 5 Oct. That would give me 2,3 and 4th for diving.

Have considered going out evening of 30 Sept though, that way could dive on 1 Oct.

Seems there is a bit of debate though between Dumaguete or Palawan though. If not these two places, any other suggestions? Already been to PG and am looking for new destinations.

If you are happy with the red eye flight then.....
Anilao, Coron, Davao, Dumaguete, General Santos, Mactan Island(Cebu City), Malapascua, Moalboal, Southern Leyte and Subic Bay.
Macro: Anilao or Dumaguete
Shark: Malapascua
Easy dive and a school of sardines(unique): Moalboal
Wreck: Coron and Subic Bay(not as good as Coron)
Nice coral and slightly off beaten track: General Santos and Southern Leyte
Reasonably diving with a bit of night life: Mactan Island and Davao
The above are my personal assessment ONLY. Other will have different idea.

"Nudisusie" has suggested a sound itinerary for Dumaguete. All the resorts in Dauin are less than 30mins from the airport. So if the flight arrive on time, you could be under water by 10:00!
"Liquid" is the place that I recommend in Dauin and Zoe will reply all your questions in no time at all!
Have a nice trip.

Second Centrals' comment on Zoe at Liquid - she is great!

Personally i stayed at Atmosphere Resort but they have good friendship ties with the team at Liquid and we went over there to visit. The resort is small but rooms are clean and comfortable. Their dive centre is well equipped and everyone is professional and fun. The boats are in great condition too from what i could see.

Southern Leyte (Sogod Bay) is also a fabulous place for macro. The padre burgos pier is an awesome site, there are several coastal sites in area that are also good for critters like pygmy seahorses, frogfish, whip coral shrimp, cuttlefish, pipefish and across the bay the corals at Napantaw are stunning (its protected by the Coral Cay Conservation group). Definitely a good place for a few days.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom