Cabilao vs Sogod Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tippytoes12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there

Planning a return trip to the Philippines. Has any member been to both the above and if so which did you prefer ? Love healthy reefs , turtles , beautiful corals as well as muck diving for pictures. Wouldn't say no to big things either. Will probably be travelling early February.

Many thanks as always

Hi Tippytoes, I have been to both places, but it is a bit hard for me to compare directly, because I went to Cabilao 6 years ago when I was a scuba-noob, and Sogod Bay last year as an experienced diver/photographer. However, overall I would say Sogod Bay was probably better. Nice macro/muck diving, very healthy reefs, some turtles around, etc.

Maybe others will chime in who can give a more direct comparison.

Hi Tippytoes

I've been to both places in 2010. great macro for both and lovely corals but i think Sogod Bay tipped the scales for my preference. I thought there was more variety and Napantaw is really stunning so make sure your operator takes you there! You may be lucky and have whale shark sightings in that area in February and a good chance to see eagle rays too.

Enjoy!

Sogod Bay.
Limasawa Island, Napantaw, Pier(only available certain night of the week).
Tacloban Airport is in full operation now. And Sogod Bay is only 3-4 hrs away by private transfer.
But if you touch down at Cebu City then you have to take ferry(fast/slow) to various ports(eg. Maasin, Ormoc) in Leyte for your land transfer to Sogod Bay.

stay away from ormoc port. too far from padre burgos area. maasin or bato or hilongos (in that order) are better options, and service is frequent. if you are coming from cebu a flight to tacloban is a complete waste of time and money.

cokaliong runs a great ferry from pier 1 cebu to maasin, but it often gets in at inconvenient times. cokaliongshipping.com is accurate as of 3 weeks ago, and your resort will arrange a shuttle. if you arrive during the day it is possible to bus, jeepney, or even trike to one of the padre burgos area resorts about 45 interesting minutes away, closer with private transport. drop a message if you need some resort recommendations.

Very helpful suggestions by all, many thanks x

There aren't that many airlines serving DIRECTLY between UK and Philippines. BA stopped it long time ago and PAL is probably the only exception. However, I do enjoy the all round services on SQ and also the A380 is bigger and nicer than the ageing 747.
The obvious entry port to Sogod Bay is Tacloban via Manila. How to connect the International and the Domestic flight is another story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom