Advice for 1st timer in Philippines (Bohol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RookieNZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm joining a couple of friends for a dive trip in Bohol (we'll be based in Alona beach and diving with Sierra Madre Divers) during Easter 2015 (I arrive on the 3rd of April and depart on the 18th) with diving around Balicasag island.

I was hoping for some advice from the more seasoned divers/travelers to that area.

Are there any hidden airport taxes that I should be aware of? I arrive in Manila on an International flight and then off to Tagbilaran via Air Asia and back again on departure. If so, what are the costs? Or any other hidden costs you may think of (I ran into this a few years back in Indonesia, where they asked for a tax even though we had paid for them online when booking our flights. Thankfully we had enough local currency on hand).

We were thinking of doing the Chocolate hills and possibly snorkeling with the whale sharks on our day off before flying back. Are there other attractions you could think of that we could add/replace? What about food and other "must" see/do things around the area?

In terms of diving, we only have our own masks, fins, snorkels and dive comps. Do we need a rash guard/3mm wet suit? what about reef hooks?

Any other information you think I should know before hand would be handy too. I am also keeping an eye on the previous two threads on first time visitors to the country but they don't seem to be Bohol specific or cover the same things I'm after.

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT:

Just thought I'd add a few extra details. We're staying at the Lost Horizon (have only read good things) and will most likely be doing the following PADI specialty courses when I arrive - Enriched Air, Deep Diver and Peak Performance Bouyancy. My friends will be doing their AOW and Rescue Diver courses prior to my arrival.

I also came across some posts re jelly fish stings and lack of clean drinking water. Are these things I should take into consideration as well when staying there?

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
1. Two weeks in too much on Alona Beach.
2. There is domestic(~P250.00) and international(P550.00) airport tax.
3. No need for the reef hook.
4. Smell the gas FIRST!!!!! Ask to see its compressor room! A lot of operators on Alona Beach source the gas from somewhere else!! You will them being delivered early in the morning.
5. The Beach can be very noisy at night especially with the LIVE music. So select your room carefully, sea facing might not be a good idea!!
6. There used to be a Italian Restaurant run by a Italian so check it out if he is still running the show. The restaurant was not on the beach then.

Philippine Fun Divers (sometimes Bohol Fun Divers) is right there at Lost Horizons but run independently. Save you from lugging your gear down the beach. I have dived with them 3 or 4 times now. PFD cater to quite a few Japanese divers and is always interesting to see what kind of underwater cameras they have. Lost Horizon's plays older music in their restaurant like the Beetles and Kenny Rogers during the daytime, i just kinda shake my head at that. They also have a local cover band playing in the evenings on the busier nights but not real late into the night only till 10 or 11pm.

Jelly fish stings - I am usually fully covered as I am very sensitive to hydroid stings.

Drinking water is readily available much cheaper at a market very close to Lost Horizon's (Trudi's) or you can buy bottle from the bar there.

You could dive Dauin as well during that time as it is just a ferry trip away. From there you would dive Dauin with day trips to Apo Island or even Siquijor Island.

It was always convenient to eat at Lost Horizon's occasionally for a convenient lunch but there are cheaper places down the beach and better looking seafood grills too. The market where you can get water is also a very inexpensive breakfast and lunch. Trudi's - it is just a few places to the East away from Lost Horizon.
here is a map for reference - the beach is at the top so South is up.
Alona Beach Area

Last edited:
I agree two weeks is too much, even if you are a novice diver (like me). Maybe try to check beforehand what other options are there for you - relocate after one week, book more day trips, etc.

There are no special hardships to prepare for at Alona beach, they even have several ATM's there, not like some other places in Philippines. There is enough of drinking water, just as San Miguels and the like, do not worry. No decent or even reasonable wine though, just as in other Philippines I've seen, so bring your own if that is your thing.
The Italian restaurant I suppose is the Giuseppe's, it was there earlier this year, we liked it. There are other good and maybe cheaper places to eat as well, given your time frame you can find it all out yourself, Alona beach not a big place anyway.

Thermal protection - some wear 1-3mm wetsuits, some just rashguards, water is 27+C, rarely 26C. Jellyfish was not a problem as I remember, but that may be seasonal.

2 noon -diving suggestions:-
Loboc River Cruise
Tarsier Monkey Reserve

If after 1 week you are flagging for things to do in Alona Beach, head up the coast for diving in Anda (approx 2hrs by car).

Thanks guys!

The info is much appreciated. Especially when it comes to food (I swear my life revolves around food). Also liking the suggestions on other nearby dive sites, it's always good to have options.

Also that map is super handy! will be sure to have a printed copy of it for the trip :)

Appreciate any other ideas/thoughts etc that others may have too :)

I just started a two month stay here in Alona. I personally don't think two weeks is too long here. I just booked a 35 dive package with Sun Divers and don't plan on being bored. Of course I can dive in a mud puddle and be pretty happy, so maybe I am not the best judge.
There are tons of great places to eat here in Alona. The German Biergarten has schnitzels on Tuesday nights that are awesome and cheap for what you get. There is the Australian grill on the beach that is really good, as well as a really good restaurant at Oasis/Seaquest Divers. The Blue Elephant has great French food, and there is a new place next door called T2 that has really good pizza. Further up the road is new Korean BBQ place called Eat Me. (their name, not mine). My wife and I really enjoy eating there. Bottom line is you will find lots of good places to eat.
I am not sure how set in stone your dates are, but I avoid the Philippines during Holy Week (Easter). Everything is usually 20% more expensive and crazy crowded. Not sure what it will be like this year, as Alona tourism was pretty hard hit on the backs of the earthquake and one of the worst typhoons on record. Maybe this year won't be as crowded, only time will tell.
I would also suggest renting a motor scooter for a day if your time and budget allows. It's a fun way to see the island of Panglao.
As others have mentioned there is a small terminal fee to fly out of here and Manila. I heard there was talk of building the terminal fee into the price of the ticket, but no idea if or when this will get instituted. I usually keep a thousand or so pesos with me to cover those costs.
Enjoy your time here. It is really amazing with some really good diving and friendly residents.

I would agree with the others who've said 2 weeks is a long time just for Alona Beach.But it really depends on what your holiday plans are I guess. Few days diving, few days relaxing, few days exploring and that pretty much covers your time there! If you get bored, you could always head over to Dumagette and do a few dives on the Dauin coast or Apo Island though.

Chocolate hills are the main attraction inland on Bohol, and if you take a circular route you can stop by the Tarzier sanctuary on the way (kind of!) back. Tarziers are the smallest marsupial known to man, and are super cute! You can take a guide around the sanctuary, which is recommended - otherwise they're really difficult to spot!

happy holidays :)

Agree with choice of rooms,stay away from beachfront (unless you like to hear Abba covers sung by impersonators at 2am) and stay away from the Dungeon rooms of Bohol Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom