Dive Resort in the Dumaguete - Dauin area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a good diver-friendly dive resort in the Dumaguete-Dauin area of the Philippines. I want a slightly upmarket place that puts onus on diving and yet offers good creature comforts. To give an example elsewhere, Little Cayman Beach Resort is my beau ideal of what a land based dive resort should be like. I don't like to hike back and forth long distances from the diving area to the basic amenities.

I looked at a few options but cannot make up my mind.

Atmosphere Dive Resort is too expensive and is the kind of over-luxurious place that I usually avoid. In my experience, in such places diving takes a second place to creature comforts.

El Dorado Beach Resort certainly seems interesting but they seem to work too separately from Dive Society, the dive op on their property or adjoining it. This could work both ways.

Liquid Dive Resort and Mike's Dive Resort also look interesting but not much infor on them.

Of all the ones that I checked, Atlantis Dive Resort appealed to me most. I normally do not like all-inclusive packages but this one comes with a great sounding boat-dive itinerary that includes night dives every day. Unless I am missing something, so far this seems to be most appealing.

I request opinions from those who have been to one or more of those.

Last edited:
Atlantis certainly fits the bill as diver-friendly! I was there just over two years ago, and it is a very nice resort. I really liked how they were totally 100% committed towards the serious diver. I am sure you will like it. Last year, I was back in Dauin and decided to try Pura Vida Resort. This place was also very nice and I liked it equally as much as Atlantis. I think it was perhaps slightly cheaper. The dive shop is run by Sea Explorers, and they are very well organized also. I would say it is a toss-up between the two. I would say maybe the slight edge goes to Pura Vida as they are slightly less expensive for what seemed to me to be the same level of luxury and service. Pura Vida is also actually right in the town of Dauin, so closer to outside amenities if this matters to you. Atlantis is more remote, off on its own outside of town. It doesn't really matter too much though, since there is not much reason to leave the resort. Both places had excellent guides. You really can't go wrong with either choice. The other places you mentioned are probably good also, but I haven't tried them.

1. Stayed at El Dorado once many yrs ago when Sea Explorers was still based in there. As far as I can remember the room was very small and the food was very ordinary. Thing might have changed since then.
2. "Liquid" is my suggestion unless you want to be pampered.

I got back from Atlantis Dumaguete a week and a half ago. This was my first trip to the Philippines, so I can't really compare to other resorts in the area.

Pluses are that the resort was pretty comfortable and the staff were very attentive. All of our heavy lifting was taken care of by the dive staff, leaving us to just carry our mask and fins into the boat. The wait staff make sure we had plenty of food and drink, and the spa staff took appointments for afternoon massage at our breakfast table.

Diving at Apo Island was some of the best I've ever done. The density and color of sea life around the Island was amazing. The current was mild to almost non-existent. I'm glad we were able to make two day trips there, and would have happily done a third.

Diving near the resort was a mix of muck diving and micro reefs that had lots of colorful fish and critters. I was more partial to beautiful fish in compact habitats, but there were some amazing critters to be found in the muck.

Minuses: Water in the rooms was usually tepid rather than warm. The resort is in the middle of nowhere at the end of a narrow dirt track. There is no way to wander out to explore the local area or town without signing up for some sort of guided tour. The food was good, but otherwise unremarkable.

It was a bit like being on a very large live aboard cruise. On the whole it was a fun trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been to Atlantis twice. HERE is my report of the trips.

I was on the trip with Aquavelvet. If you let the water run long enough, it got hot. Long enough, however, sometimes involved brushing your teeth, flossing, and checking ScubaBoard. But the water always eventually got hot.

I thought the food was good to excellent. The coffee is marginal, but a double Americana will solve the problem.

Thanks people for all the replies. There are some really interesting points raised here. On the whole, Atlantis looks good but I took note that it is rather remote from the township - that will not matter to me as I like the "land-based liveaboard" atmosphere.

I will check out Liquid, Acqua Dive & Pura Vida too.

Centrals, I definitely don't want a pampering type place.

The only place that I have actually made enquiries thus far is El Dorado; while they responded quickly, their response was rather odd in that they were rather specific in pointing out that they worked separately from their "in-house" Dive Centre, Dive Society.

I am also considering a trip to atlantis during the Xmas break.
Does anyone know how frequent trips are to see the whale sharks in oslob.
Do they go once a week or much less frequent I.e it's a rare trip once or twice a year
i assume it's number ,weather dependent.

last time I stay at el dorado. It was ok but would probably look at atlantis this time.

Stayed @ Pura Vida 2 years ago, group of about 20 from Louisiana...All had great diving experiences(dove Apo Island 2 of the 4 days of diving)......Resort very nice, I would say similar to LC or BR Beach Resort experience(just got back from BRBR a couple days ago)....Here are our land pics from there---very pretty.............Also, LOVED their bangca boats for diving, very comfortable & easy on/off for divers.........(if you dig around my Flickr site, you will find my UW pics/videos from there)--Also, they brought us all on their bigger boat to Cebu(4 hour boat ride) to our next destination, Turtle Bay Resort--- another great resort....Any questions, get back with me....https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157631944295371/

I think, weather permitting, Atlantis goes to the whale sharks when there are enough people to make the trip work. We went on the last day of our trip, but I believe another group that was there went either the day before or the day after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom