Getting to Puerto Galera by public bus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovelyG

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm heading to Puerto Galera in Dec and need some advice on getting there from Manila Airport.
I'm going to book a flight in this week, most probably the one arriving at 11:15 am. I'm wondering if it's possible for me to get to Batangas ferry terminal before 3 to 4pm by PUBLIC BUS and catch a ferry to Sabang beach.
From my research, I've learnt that it takes about 3 hrs from Partas Bus terminal to the ferry terminal, but I'm not sure when I'm expected to reach the bus terminal considering time for immigration, baggage claim, getting a taxi, and etc. I'm worried about missing the ferry, as I have read that the last ferry at 4 is not in service sometimes. so I was thinking of hiring a private taxi that goes directly to Batangas from the airport too, but it doesn't seem to be a reasonable option for me as I'm a solo traveler.
I've also thought of taking another flight arriving in midnight and then take si-kat transfer service the next morning, but it requires one more day leave and hotel transfer in midnight could be a problem in terms of safety and expense. What do you think ?

I'm not affiliated with Action divers, but this is the info they gave me a while ago - it cold be out of date by now.
Another alternative is the Si-kat bus and ferry service. Departure time is daily at 8:00am from the City State Tower Hotel at 1315 A.Mabini Street, Ermita, Manila. The Si-kat service will bring you to Batangas Port by bus and from there directly to Puerto Galera by ferry.
The return service to Manila leaves Puerto Galera at 9.00am.

Similar to the Si-Kat, Swagman Travel offer a minivan and ferry service, leaving Manila every morning at 8:00am from the Swagman Hotel, 411 A.Flores Street, Ermita, Manila. The Swagman Service goes straight to Batangas Port and connects with the ferry service, which brings you directly to Sabang . The return service to Manila leaves Sabang at 9.00am.

Price for both Si-Kat and Swagman services are around 1400 pesos return or 700 pesos one way.

There is a public bus service from Pasay City, Manila to Batangas Port (approx 180 pesos one way). At the port there are several ferries going to Sabang and Puerto Galera. Take a taxi from the airport/hotel to the Tritran/Jam Liner bus terminal on Buendia, Taft avenue. The bus trip from Manila to Batangas will take around 2-3 hours (depending on traffic) and the ferries will take 1 to 1.5 hours to bring you to Sabang or Puerto Galera.
The buses do not run to a timetable, they leave Manila when they are full. Ferry services can also be changed or cancelled at a moments notice.

Ferry Services: Batangas - Sabang (240 pesos single)
8:30, 9:20, 10:20, 11:30, 12:15, 13:20, 14:20, 15:30, 16:30

Ferry Services: Sabang - Batangas (240 pesos single)
5:30, 7:00, 8:15, 9:15, 10:30, 11:20, 13:00, 13:45

Ferry Services: Batangas - Puerto Galera (240 pesos single)
7:30, 8:15, 10:15, 11:00, 12:00, 13:15, 15:00, 16:00

Ferry Services Puerto Galera - Batangas (240 pesos single)
5:30, 6:15, 7:00, 8:30, 9:00, 12:00, 13:30, 15:00

N.B. There is a 10 pesos terminal charge at Batangas port for all ferry passengers.

Please also be advised there is a Puerto Galera Environmental Users Fee (EUF) and Tourism Fee (TF) that will be collected either upon entry to Batangas or Puerto Galera. Or, placed on your accommodation account while you are here.
Php50 (approx US$1.30) per person for EUF and Php10 (approx US$0.30) per person for TF. Children under 12 and senior citizens over 60 are exempt.

If you arrive to Puerto Galera, either catch a Jeepney (20 pesos single) or hire a banca (350 pesos) to take you to Action Divers which is located on Small Lalaguna Beach.

If you arrive to Sabang Beach it is just a 10 minute walk along the beach to Action Divers Small Lalaguna Beach.

Action Divers Office phone number is INTL: **63 43 2873320 or Domestic: 043 2873320

the timing either of the options is not ideal, that's for sure. if you decide to carry on with your current plan, there are a couple budget hotels in the batangas pier area where you can overnite in the event you miss the ferry. or you can resign yourself and plan to stay at one and make an early ferry the next morning. agoda can get you started in the hotel search, and the 'show on map' function clearly displays the location of the pier relative to the hotel. an fyi, in philippines it is often 20% or more cheaper to make arrangements through the hotel directly. it will not be too difficult to take a trike from either the pier or the bus station to a conveniently located hotel. from there i am assuming you will take your dinner and rest after your long journey, so i wouldn't stress about security issues.

if you decide to overnite in manila, my experience is if you are staying somewhere frequented by foreigners you should not have any security issues. assuming you are not wandering around aimlessly.
the above post is very helpful. if you wish to avoid fumbling at the bus station, want to see a bit of the city, and don't mind spending an extra few pesos swagman's is a very very good option, and maybe all in all the best option. confirm current accuracy with swagman's. http://www.swaggy.com/fly-the-bus/ ) if you arrive at midnight suggest you consider arranging transport from the airport to your hotel with the hotel. nothing about naia is easy, and the manila taxi drivers might be a bit dodgy.

Last edited:
A female friend of mine who lives in Manila told me she would never take the public bus there because she felt it wasn't safe. She suggested I shouldn't either. Since I didn't use it (I took a private ride shared with my dive buddy from Switzerland), I don't know how safe or unsafe it would be from firsthand experience.

Go for the Sikat or Swagman service. Transfers can be a bit difficult especially if you are lugging gear. You can also have the dive op/hotel arrange the transfers.

Sent from my Underwood typewriter

Timing wise i don't think u can catch the last ferry , in regards to traveling by bus i never felt unsafe and use public busses regularly, just use commen sense and
keep a eye on your stowed Luggage in the lugagecompartment.
Have fun.
Frank

arriving at mnl at 11.45am (or later) you can not make it to Batangas pier before the last ferry (banca) sails. they can only sail during daylight hours. De-plane, immigration and retrieving baggage can often tale upwards of 1 and one half hours depending on which terminal and time of day

I suggest you consider swagman or si-kat as I believe they can also pick up up at the airport which would be highly recommended vs trying to taxi by yourself

What would I do if I were you?
1. Private transfer(US$120.00).
2. Stay overnight in Manila.
3. Proceed to Batangas and hope for the best. There are hotels in Batangas. There are also late ferry(Supercat and Fast Craft) from Batangas to Calapan and Sabang is another hr away. But finding a public transport at night won't be easy if NOT impossible. There are also hotels in Calapan.

I would stay overnight in Manila unless you like adventure(option 3).
City State Tower Hotel(Si-Kat) or Swagman both have one daily transfer to Sabang in the morning. Si-Kat Bus is a lot more comfortable than Swagman's Van and is probably slightly cheaper as well.
Swagman offer FREE airport pick up but its room is over-priced.
Take the ordinary white taxi outside the airport departure hall(upstair). The fare(meter) to either hotel is around P200.00. Both hotels are very close to each other in Ermita.

Thanks all for the helpful advice! Taking a public bus seems risky in terms of time and security. Would I be able to catch a ferry if I took a private transfer from the airport? I know taking si kat is the most predictable journey but then the time I stay in PG is going to be shortened unless I arrive Manila at midnight.

If you arrive at 11.15 am in theory yes, in practice maybe no. depending on what airline you take you will arrive at different terminals. If T1 or T2 the answer is probably no, If T3 the answer is maybe, Heavy construction around the airport has created heavy jams everyday. Air Traffic congestion causes flight delays on a daily bases. upon landing minimum one hour to clear immigration and get your bags (few weeks ago we waited one hour and 15 mins just to have bags come out from PAL at T2)

Travel time to Batangas pier from your entry point to Slex is app one and one half hours. Since sunset is now around 5.30pm you need to be at the pier by 3.15 latest which given all the above might not be possible

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom