Looking for schools of fish and other big stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I like to see schools of fish, sharks, turtles and other big stuff. I am planning about 7 days of diving and really not sure where best to go. I can not go to Tubataha. I have already been to Balicasag Island for jack fish, Moalboal and Mactan island for sardines. Any other suggestions to see the bigger stuff?

Socorro Islands off Mexico's Pacific. Sharks, Mantas, dolphins whale sharks and humpback whales (what you see depends on when you go).

The Socorros have been on my to-do list for years … unfortunately they're in another hemisphere.

In the Philippines, there are not a lot of places to see big animals or schools of pelagic fishes because it's an overpopulated and relatively underdeveloped country where a lot of people make their living from fishing … frankly, most of the Philippines is unsustainably overfished, and it's just getting worse.

Tubbataha is great (or was, 5 years ago) because it's protected from fishing by the Philippines Navy … Apo Reef has some whitetip reef sharks and turtles, although not nearly as many as Tubbataha … 1 or 2 per dive compared with lots at Tubbataha.

Malapascua has thresher sharks just about every day, and occasional devil rays, plus some whitetip reef sharks at Gato Island. That might be your best bet for big stuff, and Malapascua also has some great macro critters and some wrecks …

Whale sharks pass by Sogod Bay in the winter, and those are pretty cool fish. Big, too… Sogod Bay (southern Leyte) also has great macro critters and healthy reefs. I'm going to go there for my first time in February after a cave course in Florida -- and if I don't see any whale sharks I'm sure it will still be amazing diving … but I like the macro stuff as much as the bigger stuff.

The Socorros have been on my to-do list for years … unfortunately they're in another hemisphere.

In the Philippines, there are not a lot of places to see big animals or schools of pelagic fishes because it's an overpopulated and relatively underdeveloped country where a lot of people make their living from fishing … frankly, most of the Philippines is unsustainably overfished, and it's just getting worse.

Tubbataha is great (or was, 5 years ago) because it's protected from fishing by the Philippines Navy … Apo Reef has some whitetip reef sharks and turtles, although not nearly as many as Tubbataha … 1 or 2 per dive compared with lots at Tubbataha.

Malapascua has thresher sharks just about every day, and occasional devil rays, plus some whitetip reef sharks at Gato Island. That might be your best bet for big stuff, and Malapascua also has some great macro critters and some wrecks …

Whale sharks pass by Sogod Bay in the winter, and those are pretty cool fish. Big, too… Sogod Bay (southern Leyte) also has great macro critters and healthy reefs. I'm going to go there for my first time in February after a cave course in Florida -- and if I don't see any whale sharks I'm sure it will still be amazing diving … but I like the macro stuff as much as the bigger stuff.

I am thinking about heading to Sogod myself, around March or April of 2015. I have seen whale sharks 4 different times, sardines in Moalboal and jack fish at Balicasag Island. I was hoping for barracuda on this trip. I am not really into the small stuff, my eyes are getting a bit weak. I do like a lot of fish thou, small ones big ones, just a bunch of fish at one location.

I am thinking about heading to Sogod myself, around March or April of 2015. I have seen whale sharks 4 different times, sardines in Moalboal and jack fish at Balicasag Island. I was hoping for barracuda on this trip. I am not really into the small stuff, my eyes are getting a bit weak. I do like a lot of fish thou, small ones big ones, just a bunch of fish at one location.
I am afraid you wont' get that in Sogod Bay.
Your best bet for a school of baracuda would be in Balicasag. They are NOT that elusive as long as you dive there often, sooner or later you will meet them.
As already explained big school of fish in Philippines is hard to find.

I am afraid you wont' get that in Sogod Bay.
Your best bet for a school of baracuda would be in Balicasag. They are NOT that elusive as long as you dive there often, sooner or later you will meet them.
As already explained big school of fish in Philippines is hard to find.

I am not sure what to do now? go to someplace new, like Sogod or someplace i LOVE like Balicasag?

I will have to think on this?

i have been encouraging people with the time and inclination to give sogod bay a try for a few years now. besides what i consider terrific diving, south leyte is beautiful, peaceful, and laid back. with one or two very rare exceptions, i have yet to meet someone who has been there say they regret it, or would not go back given the chance. and march and april are great times to be there. whale sharks, which are not fed or otherwise interfered with in any way (aside from locating them to snorkel with) had been reliable visitors november to may, but last year after yolanda (haiyan) they were sporadic at best. the reports this year are that they have been spotted since the end of last month. i hope it is true and can confirm or deny that in 2 weeks.

I am not sure what to do now? go to someplace new, like Sogod or someplace i LOVE like Balicasag?

I will have to think on this?
No easy solution.
Sogod is very good but NOT for the school of fish!!!!!
Check with the operator for the whaleshark tour. It would be very expensive if you are on your own.

Maybe I will go to Sogod first and then catch a ferry to Bohol and head to Alona Beach?

How many days maximum should I stay in Sogod, you think?

Maybe I will go to Sogod first and then catch a ferry to Bohol and head to Alona Beach?

How many days maximum should I stay in Sogod, you think?
1. The Jetty at Padres Burgos is only divable on certain days of the week(eg. Fri).
2. I would suggest a minimum of three days for Limasawa Island, Napantau Sanctury + others.
3. There is a morning ferry from Maasin(?) to Ubay in Bohol. You need to board the 05:00 bus to make it. Please confirm the schedule in advance.
4. Getting to Sogod Bay from Cebu is a long journey. Private one way transfer from Ormoc is P3,500.00 while it is about P4,500.00 from Tacloban. Again, enquire with the dive operator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom