Recommend a new BCD for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iancg1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all! I have been lurking in this forum a couple of years ago but I have stopped diving due to school. Now that I'm done, I want to go back to diving. The BCD that I owned for 10 years is already broken (the plastic part of the inflator hose that attaches to the BCD). It was a basic jacket-type Seaquest BCD. Should I get another BCD or a BP/W? I want to travel with my dive gear so I want the lighter but durable option. Please recommend a shop (actual or online) where I can get it too. Thanks in advance!

How close are you to one of their locations?: http://www.aquaventurewhitetip.com/store-locations/

They sell the Aqualung Zuma which is a travel BC. http://www.aquaventurewhitetip.com/category/bcd-2/

Also the basic DiveRite line including the TravelPac and Transpac. Both are soft backplate designs. They also sell an Aluminum Plate which is lighter for travel. And several Dive Rite Harness options for it. http://www.aquaventurewhitetip.com/category/tech-gear/

Definitely bp/w. It's just all round better for diving well and it's much easier to maintain and travel with. Alu plate from any of the local distributors, as they are all made in China any way.

Whitetip is good but I'm not sure if they have any wings in stock at the moment as they are transitioning over to a new brand/model, so might be worth waiting...or try Nautilus 235 Salcedo St. Unit 101 Cattleya Condominium Legaspi Village , Makati City , Philippines
contact details: cel no. (+63)920-954-1477 email address: nautilusphilippines@gmail.com

"Recommend a new BCD for me"...........if 20 people answer your post with their choice of BCs, you'll get about 18 or 19 different brands/names.....

I have the Oxycheq Ultralite Backplate with a 30# Oxycheq wing (there's also an 18# option available, if you want to go really light), together with a Hog harness. About 2.7 kg / 6 lbs all together, rugged, and served me well on 400 dives so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbb
Go backplate and wings. I transitioned to a BP/W nearly 10 years ago and never looked back. I use an Oxycheq wing with a Diverite Transpak fixed harness.

If you are going with a BP/W, go with one with the Adjustable harness (not the one with a quick release). I'm considering getting one myself. The Halcyon infinity with the cinch adjustable harness looks really sweet but $$$. UTD also has a cheaper version called quick adjust.

I'm from Mindanao but I'll be going to Manila this December so I think I can drop by Aquaventure or Nautilus. What's a good BP/W brand? How much does it cost? Thanks for the recommendations, can't wait to go back to diving!

Hey all! I have been lurking in this forum a couple of years ago but I have stopped diving due to school. Now that I'm done, I want to go back to diving. The BCD that I owned for 10 years is already broken (the plastic part of the inflator hose that attaches to the BCD). It was a basic jacket-type Seaquest BCD. Should I get another BCD or a BP/W? I want to travel with my dive gear so I want the lighter but durable option. Please recommend a shop (actual or online) where I can get it too. Thanks in advance!
Why don't you just get another elbow for your BCD, maybe service or replace the inflator and hose if it needs it, and keep using it. Look at a generic universal Trident inflator assembly, any dive shop should be able to get one for you. Generally they have a long version and a short version. Some have a cable assembly built in that you can pull dump, and they all have the whole part from the inflator all the way to the elbow with the gasket included. Almost all the BC's I've ever seen use the same thread size and inset notch pattern so the generic replacement should work.
If it's just a basic jacket BC that works for and you like it why change?

This is coming from a manufacturer of a back plate BTW.

Back
Top Bottom