Anilao or Dumaguete/Dauin (in April)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As mentioned elsewhere, I have decided to go to the Philippines in April 2016. My plan is to do the Tubbutaha liveaboard on the MY Stella Maris Explorer followed (or preceded) by a land based dive site in the same country. Up to now I have been thinking of one of the resorts in the Dumaguete / Dauin area but when I mentioned this to a few of the other divers on the recent Raja Ampat cruise, some of them suggested going to Anilao instead.

I would like other member's opinion about which Philippine dive destination - Anilao or Dumaguete - would be the better add on to a Tubbutaha liveaboard trip?

PS: An advantage with Anilao is that it reduces the number of domestic flights.

You might have save some money on domestic flight but the "extra charge" on Anilao might eventually cost you more!!!! Anilao has a unique price structure in whole Philippines!!! You have to pay for the boat and guide. So if you are diving alone then.... There is a new resort which claim otherwise but please check its room rate!!
In terms of diving, Anilao is better than Dauin. But as a whole I prefer Dauin because I know how much to pay in advance.
BTW, the domestic flight from Manila to Dumaguete is pretty cheap. Cebu Pacific offers huge discount from time to time. P1.00 single is NOT unheard of!!! Look it up regularly.

Thanks Centrals. So far I have looked at Halo and Aiyanar resorts in Anilao but will continue to shop around and look at other options. I will also take your advice and carefully enquire about the dates.

As you say, the saving on internal flights might not amount to much, if anything. I still have to arrange and pay for the Manila to Anilao land transfers in both directions. BTW, any advice on that would also be appreciated.

If you want to save some money then you use public transport otherwise the return private transfer can readily set you back nearly US$200.00!!!

If you want to save some money then you use public transport otherwise the return private transfer can readily set you back nearly US$200.00!!!
Thanks. I do not mean to sound boastful, but US$200 for a 3-hour return transfer sounds reasonable to me. In the UK where I live, petrol & diesel are quite expensive and land transfers are very expensive. For example, Heathrow Airport is just over an hour from where I live and have to pay £90 (around $150) each way by taxi. I do not drive to the airport because I hate driving back jetlagged and the parking fee for my 2+ week trips plus the fuel cost is not going to save me a great deal of money anyway.

Getting back to Anilao, I am having problems finding a few dive resorts to choose from. I prefer dedicated dive resorts with a closely attached (even if independent) Dive Centre and so far have found only Halo and the expensive Aiyanar in the Mabini region where I want to stay. There are smaller places like Bambu Villa, Aquaventure, Solana etc but I am not sure if there are dedicated dive motels or simply family resorts where diving is an "also ran". Any suggestions or advice?

PS: Getting back to the original subject of this thread, I need to make a decision on whether to go to Anilao or Dumaguete. To some extent, the decision will be based on which of those sites is more different from Tubbutaha, where I am going anyway on the same trip. From what I can gather, is seems like the diving in Dumaguete/Dauin area has some similarity with Tubbutaha in terms of marine life whereas Anilao has more macro and smaller tropical fish. Is that correct?

Last edited:
1. Aquaventure is a divers oriented resort. There are enough old posts on the topic eg. Club O gets a lot of praises from dedicated photographers.
2. If your final decision is based on "degree of differences from Tubattaha" then Anilao is the choice. Yes, Anilao has more macro and critters than Dauin. And I hope you like nudibranch.
3. The average income in the country is considerably less than US$200.00 per month!!

If your final decision is based on "degree of differences from Tubattaha" then Anilao is the choice. Yes, Anilao has more macro and critters than Dauin. And I hope you like nudibranch.

Thanks, it'll be Anilao then. I am a certified "Nudi-nut" and love looking for them and photographing them, as mentioned on other threads here. Just back from Raja Ampat where over 37 dives I went a bit mad with nudibranchs. Tambja Morosa, Nembrotha Yonowae, Gabriel's Tambja etc etc etc.

Getting back to Anilao, I am having problems finding a few dive resorts to choose from. I prefer dedicated dive resorts with a closely attached (even if independent) Dive Centre and so far have found only Halo and the expensive Aiyanar in the Mabini region where I want to stay. There are smaller places like Bambu Villa, Aquaventure, Solana etc but I am not sure if there are dedicated dive motels or simply family resorts where diving is an "also ran". Any suggestions or advice?

I'm staying at Buceo Anilao this January. Aiyanar is to expensive for my budget, and I can't park my wife at one of the really cheap options which from reviews on trip advisor sound a bit to well worn. Buceo is a new resort and looks nice and has all inclusive dive prices, which works best for me as a single diver, as Anilao's diving price structure is geared to groups. I'll be reporting back after my trip with a full report.
You should be happy with Anilao over Dauin (the area that first got me hooked on Muck/Macro) as Dauin has great macro but Anilao consistently rates better for macro.

Thanks dirtfarmer. I looked at Buceo's website and it certainly looks like a good consideration. The site is well laid out and informative and I noted that they cater to single divers - although I hope to take my wife with me. Most importantly, they concentrate on diving issues and seem genuinely diver friendly. Will follow this up.

Thanks, it'll be Anilao then. I am a certified "Nudi-nut" and love looking for them and photographing them, as mentioned on other threads here. Just back from Raja Ampat where over 37 dives I went a bit mad with nudibranchs. Tambja Morosa, Nembrotha Yonowae, Gabriel's Tambja etc etc etc.

You are going to love Anilao then.

Last year I dived a great spot three times, pure rubble dive, swarming with nudis of all sorts but all small and had to use my 105 with a +10 diopter just to see some of them that the guide was finding. April is considered a "hot month" for nudis.

Here is a taster

I did not see the small one until I was checking the photo on my computer later on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom