Sabang or Moalboal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ward

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am looking for advice on where to head for a short week of diving: Sabang (Puerto Galera) or Moalboal (Cebu).

Background: I could fly into Manila for Sabang, or Cebu for Moalboal, won't have much time to spend on travel, and want to see a good mix of marine life (I've been to El Nido, Boracay, Bohol, Malapascua, and want something new).

Any advice much appreciated!

Ward

haven't done any diving in Moalboal yet, but from what i've heard, the sardines are their only attraction. could be wrong though.

Sabang, on the other hand, has a lot of variety not just in marine life but also in the diving itself.
will actually be in Sabang, tomorrow.

-P

Both places have their attractions.
Sabang offers varieties above and below water!! But if the stay is short then Moalboal is also good enough. Make sure you dive the sanctury and the big sea fans(quite deep) are beautiful. The school of sardines is well worth just for the trip!!!

Thanks for the feedback. For marine life variety, Sabang seems to receive the preference here.
Any recommendations on how to get there quickly from Manila? Private taxi and boat trip?
What is the latest time to leave Manila in that case (for planning arrival time of flights)?

haven't done any diving in Moalboal yet, but from what i've heard, the sardines are their only attraction. could be wrong though.

Sabang, on the other hand, has a lot of variety not just in marine life but also in the diving itself.
will actually be in Sabang, tomorrow.

-P

You are not wrong.

I was pretty underwhelmed by Moalboal. Fantastic conditions (crystal clear, warm water), and great if you love sardines and turtles, but I felt it lacked punch as a dive destination.

Sardines are fine, whici makes it a unique place, but Pescador is probably one of the most beautiful dives in the Philippines. Just for that I would consider 2 days in Moalboal anytime.
There's a lot of macro too on the wall along Panagsama, especially at night.

That said I agree Puerto Galera is probably more varied, but I really dislike the place.

Here's what Pescador looks like :

and some macro action around Panagsama :

Cannot comment on Moalboal, somehow have neglected to go there. Fastest route to Sabang is to ask your chosen resort/dive centre for a private transfer (synched car and boat) for a total of about $US150, which can be shared with others (easier to arrange that share on the way home). About three-five hours, hard to predict depends on time of day. For that price, your resort will pick you up at any time. Your choice whether you want to make a night-time crossing of the Batangas Strait in a pumpboat. If you prefer daylight, then you should be leaving Manila by 2 pm ... so, a before-noon flight arrival.

There is a risk of being storm-stayed in Sabang at this time of year; less so in Feb-June.

I also really liked Maolboal , beautiful reefs with great macro and loads of sleepy turtles. The sardines are a once in a lifetime experience , as was the visit to the whale sharks in Oslob, which I did twice and loved.

Wh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom