Help anyone who was traveling in Philippines during last years typhoon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gringo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are scheduled to arrive in Manila Sun AM and go by land to Anilao. We are concerned as we have no extra travel days at the end of the week-long trip. Anyone have experience with Manila airport and roads between Manila and Batanga Bay and how they were affected by Hiayan super typhoon last year? THANKS

I was in Puerto Galera last year during Hiayan and watched the progress of the typhoon on the tracking sites , i knew about it coming some 6 days out so there is time to get out of the way when your a tourist. I think there was 2 days of no or less trips going from Sabang to Batangas but that was all the impact there was. There was a black out etc but no big damage. I arrive back on Tuesday back and feel bad for the people that live in a area that is affected by a storm but as a tourist it doesn't affect u as it does a local.
What i mean that most resort have a back-up generator etc.
Frank

Thanks for reply. We have decided just not worth it to attempt to fly in and burden local resources. Dang will miss the diving!

Lets see if I understand this. You are worried about the roads from Anilao to Manila and how they will affect how you can transfer to and from the airport due to Hiayan? Well, I was last there about 9 months ago, and there was little if no impact on this area from the storm. It actually passed quite a way south of Anilao, and they told me that they cancelled an afternoon's diving due to it. The road transfer by private car is about 2 1/2 hours or so, depending on time of day, but the problem is that most flights leave early in the morning, and there is no time to transfer up from Anilao and still fly the same day. You are pretty much stuck staying overnight in Manila to make this work. But there is no impact from the storm, especially after this much time. I don't know what you mean by "burdening local resources"... Tourist dollars are the lifeblood of this area. Please correct me if you meant something else by all this.

I assume the OP is trying to extrapolate what happened with Hiayan to what is currently happening with Hagupit/Ruby.

Doesn't matter. I'm on Bohol right now and most forms of transportation--particularly ferries and flights--have pretty much already shut down in anticipation of the storm. It's expected to hammer Manila Sunday morning and the airport will be closed well before that and will only open again when all is clear and any major damage is repaired. You couldn't get here regardless of your desire.

Please keep the Filipino people in your hearts as they suffer another round of devastation.

It's tracking north straight towards Manila. Expect heavy flooding and very little transportation until the storm passes.

MOV8-2.22W.GIF

I hadn't even heard of Ruby yet. It all makes sense now. I wish you all luck. It looks like you are going to need it...

Back
Top Bottom