LF: Mask with prescription lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I think asking for a frameless mask with prescription lenses is a bit too much. I'm settling for any mask with prescription lenses which are available locally. I just need -1 correction for both eyes.

Thanks!

Does it have to be local? There are any number of places in the US (and I am sure other places as well) that will take a mask shipped to them and weld on custom ground lenses to the inside of the mask and ship it back to you. I have been getting this done for 30 years, and now I have bifocals ground into the mask lenses. Any optical house can mark the pupil spots on the mask for you (or you can do it yourself with the assist of one sharp eyed helper and a marking pen), and then you can send it to the lens company for processing. There are several places listed on the internet who do this, but make sure the mask really fits you well before this alteration. Also, it wouldn't hurt to tell the lens company which mask you are going to use, as there are occasionally problems with interference between the internal edges of the lens and your face if the prescription is too strong and/or the internal mask volume is too low. Some lens companies even stock the masks, so you would not have to ship the mask to them but just buy one of theirs and have them convert it. Lots of options. I don't know about Manila, but a lot of scuba shops here in the US will arrange this for you also.

Does it have to be local? There are any number of places in the US (and I am sure other places as well) that will take a mask shipped to them and weld on custom ground lenses to the inside of the mask and ship it back to you. I have been getting this done for 30 years, and now I have bifocals ground into the mask lenses. Any optical house can mark the pupil spots on the mask for you (or you can do it yourself with the assist of one sharp eyed helper and a marking pen), and then you can send it to the lens company for processing. There are several places listed on the internet who do this, but make sure the mask really fits you well before this alteration. Also, it wouldn't hurt to tell the lens company which mask you are going to use, as there are occasionally problems with interference between the internal edges of the lens and your face if the prescription is too strong and/or the internal mask volume is too low. Some lens companies even stock the masks, so you would not have to ship the mask to them but just buy one of theirs and have them convert it. Lots of options. I don't know about Manila, but a lot of scuba shops here in the US will arrange this for you also.

Thanks!

Sent from my Underwood typewriter

got mine (-2.5) from Scubaworld last year. They sell some TUSA mask models with available lenses with various grades... they'll install it for you as well. I was at Pacifica Makati last week and the other guy in the store was buying prescription lenses as well (masks were on sale last week 50% off - not sure if the sale is still ongoing now). I believe Aquaventure also has an Aqualung Mask and have matching prescription lenses... i'll be going there later and can price check a mask set with -1 lenses for you.

also, for people having trouble reading their dive computers and gauges, Pacifica has stick-on corrective lenses (+ correction) that you can stick to any mask lens. My friend purchased +1.5s and will be trying it out this sunday. I'll report back how that goes.

14001_10202439248977414_5183227850516584871_n.jpg

was not able to go to aquaventure but was able to price check at Diver's Point Marina... they have a set including the mask and a pair of prescription lenses for PhP 3,040.00 but the lowest prescription they have is +1.5 on stock (this is the makati branch) at the Mares show room they have a mask costing 4K with a piece of prescription lens costing 3K each

Update:
I found a mask that fit me nicely: The Subgear Zoom at Pacifica but they do not have the -1.00 lens.
I was able to find what I initially thought were a compatible set of lenses (for the Tusa splendive from Scubaworld).
They fit and the tech at Pacifica put them in the mask.
I was quite happy and immediately went home to test the mask by partially submerging it in a bucket of water. It leaked badly from the right side and thought there was some error in fitting the lenses since there seemed to be some minor damage to the frame on the right side.
Called up Pacifica and they said to bring the mask in.
I tried it again this time by wearing it and it leaked badly from both lenses.
This got me thinking. I found out that the edge of the Tusa lenses were significantly thinner than the Subgear stock lenses.
I popped the original plain lenses and Voila - no more leaks.
So I think I'll get the Splendive and pop the Tusa lenses in and maybe wait for Pacifica to stock the -1.00 lenses and use the Subgear as a backup.

I was able to stop the TUSA lenses from leaking in the Subgear frame by adding a shim. I made the shim by tracing the outline of the plastic retaining ring onto the cover of a plastic microwaveable food container and cutting it out. I then placed the shim between the lens and the retaining ring.

Sent from my Underwood typewriter

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420460021663.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420460021663.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 142
Where there's a will, there's a way. Neat stunt!

Reactions: Pao
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom