whalesharks in south leyte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrcjdx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
just finished a great week of diving at peter's dive resort on sogod bay. in a reply to an earlier post i mentioned i would give a real-time update re whalesharks.

it is starting off a very slow year, and the dive-ops are worried the whaleshark season will be another disappointment, following last year's post-yolanda (haiyan) debacle. matters have not been helped by the east side barangays taking over the organization of whaleshark spotting/guiding from the loose collective of locals that had been responsible before. the result, according to the ops i spoke with, is if the whalesharks are indeed coming in no one is out there looking for them to report sightings to the diveops. ah, the philippine bureaucracy and better way of doing things.

that all said, i am very happy to say that as a result of a dead camera battery i spent a good deal of time on one napantau dive with my nose out of the reef and was rewarded with a +/- 5 m whaleshark passing by at eye level a few m off the wall heading down. lucky me!

Slightly off topic ... How is Peter and the dive shop/resort ? I was there some 11 /12 years ago, really enjoyed diving with those guys.
It has been extensively renovated beyond recognition. There is even a small swimming pool and a gym for the fittness conscientious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom