Two weeks - Macro Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All.

I'm considering a 2 week trip to the Philippines but I have no idea where to start. I've searching throughout this section, and I'm more confused than I was before! We're into macro photography and don't mind organizing things ourselves rather than a tour. We don't need a huge nightlife either, and prefer the dive sites to be special. For reference, we've been previously to Thailand, Grenada, Bali, and Bonaire (by that point). I've got 50 dives and my husband a DM with maybe 140 or so.

Suggestions? The one area that seems to keep coming up is Anilao, or going back to Indonesia to somewhere like Lembeh.

Thanks!

Last edited:
DiverKevin : Asia
There is plenty to see in Anilao. I've only been once, but we were allowed to follow the DM or explore on our own. Usually our DM would go off and find things and bring them back to everyone.

I'll be able to tell you in two weeks if Anilao lives up to it's reputation. It rates really high for macro/muck worldwide. Dauin/Dumagette also has excellent macro/muck with the bonus of Apo Island for wide angle/excellent reefs.
Drawback to Dauin is black sand beach, can be very steep, not your walking on the beach kind of spot, and pretty much bound to the resort, the same with Anilao, not much beach areas. So if your craving the white sand/small tropical island feel Malapascua might be a good choice for your second week. In fact I'm going back hitting the water in a week in Anilao then to Malapascua for the island fix and nice macro/wide angle ( think Threshers).
I've done Dauin before and loved it. I fell in love with muck/macro there.
I'd split my two weeks into Anilalo and one of the others.
Oh yeah you said you were thinking about Lembeh also, If you've not been it's fantastic macro/muck, so good I've been 3x. Sorry about complicating your choices.

Both Lembeh and Anilao are comparable critter wise, although logistics and cost differ slightly from my perspective

Anilao
Direct flight to Manila from my start point (Dubai)
Overnight in Manila Hotel and private care pickup next morning for a 2 hr drive, first dives (shore) after lunch
Highly recommend Crystal Blue - good camera room, great guides, food pretty good.

Lembeh
Direct flight to Singapore (same start point)
Overnight in hotel then second flight (3+ hrs) to Manado next morning, pick up by resort transport, then 90 minute drive to Lembeh straits, plus in my choice 15-20 min boat ride to resort. Possible first dive late afternoon on the house reef.
Highly recommend Lembeh Resort (Critters@Lembeh), great staff, amazing food, and currently my top dive travel destination.

If going to Lembeh you also have the choice of Bunaken on the Manado side of the island and Murex Dive resorts are doing a special tour from Manado to Bangka then Lembeh Resort with dives on the way between these three resorts and finally by road back to Manado at the end of the trip - something I am considering this year.

Can't go wrong with either of these destinations IMHO

What I should have added was the time of the year- first half of May. Birthday diving for me! :)

I've not dived Lembeh myself, but while diving Anilao with Club Ocellaris in 2008 I met Roger Steene who's one of the worlds best known underwater macro photographers Roger Steene Photography - Ocean Ark Alliance . Roger, who started diving when I was still a child (and I'm not that young :wink: ) has dived all over the world. He told me that now he only makes two trips a year... one to Papua New Guinea and one to Anilao. That sounds like a pretty good recommendation for Anilao to me :wink:

I will say that Lembeh is on my personal list and that I plan to dive there some day. I don't think you could go wrong with either :)

OK, the husband wants to do Philippines. If if was Anilao and one other place, where would you all recommend????

Thanks.

If only doing one other place, I would say Puerto Galera. It's nearby and offers a great variety of diving. Both reliably come up as top diving destinations in the Philippines :)

Anilao hands down has the best macro in the Philippines, and arguably the best (or at least is a very close 2nd) for macro in the world.

if you have 2 weeks, you could do 1 week in Anilao and 1 week somewhere else. If you don't want to spend too much time in transfer, PG would be a good option, but if you have time to go a bit further, try either Dumaguete or Malapascua.

Last edited:
OK, the husband wants to do Philippines. If if was Anilao and one other place, where would you all recommend????

Thanks.

If you don't want to fly again once you are there, then Puerto Galera is a good option. A couple of years ago we had Asia Divers arrange a banca to pick us up at Crystal Blue around 10am and we were at their resort (El Galeon) for lunch.

Subic Bay is another option, closer to Manila but from what I hear still a good 2 hr drive and best done early in the morning to avoid traffic issues. I am looking at diving there at some point.

May is a good time too, can't beat diving on your birthday :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom