Puerto Galera is an excellent destination for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Whether you are a certified scuba diver wanting to experience the great diving, Puerto Galera has a lots to offer or if you want to take your first tentative fin kicks in the world of diving, we at The Mariner Dive Center aim to make it a fun experience while always maintaining the highest professional and safety standards.

The Mariner Dive Center is the perfect destination for you. Situated at the most beautiful bay of the Philippines, a beautiful spot where you can enjoy the sunrise and sunset while breath in the sweet sea breeze and feed your eyes with the goodness of our nature, here you’ll find all the relaxation and adventure you need.

Where is Mariner Dive Centre in respect to Puerto Galera or Sabang?Aninuan Bay is situated well passed White Beach, isn't it? So you would have to add at least 15-20 mins on the boat journey to most of the sites except Talipanan Reef. As far as I know all operators in PG/Sabang go out for one dive and then return to base, same apply to Mariner?

Puerto Galera ... excellent for diving ??? Went there last year and well, don't really know what to say bout this place but ... ok I admit I didn't dive enough to see perhaps the best dive spots over there, i know, but after a few days, just wanted to leave the whole area completely, sooo filthy with sex tourism, low life tourists getting drunk everywhere, reminded me of patong or even worse night time. Concerning the diving, well, seen better in phil, much better to tell the truth. Just wanted to tell my opinion.

Puerto Galera ... excellent for diving ??? Went there last year and well, don't really know what to say bout this place but ... ok I admit I didn't dive enough to see perhaps the best dive spots over there, i know, but after a few days, just wanted to leave the whole area completely, sooo filthy with sex tourism, low life tourists getting drunk everywhere, reminded me of patong or even worse night time. Concerning the diving, well, seen better in phil, much better to tell the truth. Just wanted to tell my opinion.
1. Where did you stay? Probably Sabang Beach.
2. Sex tourism? They are the minority and probably limited to certain national. Majority go to Angeles.
3. Low life tourists getting drunk everywhere? Where is everywhere? I have seen more drunk in one night in Ibiza than a whole month I stay in PG.

Stay at Campbell and dive with either Scandi or LBC and don't walk pass Diving Park and you will never know the seedy part of Sabang.

I had a wonderful time at Sabang Bay! The diving was great, the resort where we stayed was wonderful, and there was no need to sally forth into the fray unless you wanted to. I don't remember ever going out at night, except to night dive -- we were too tired from diving all day to do much in the way of night life! We are actually headed back to Puerto Galera this October.

Yes, I did stay in sabang, at "capt'n gregg's dive shop" more precisely, didn't have a clue where to stay when I arrived so I found this place that was cheap. When to dive with Atlantis dive resort later, a bit further and more professional dive center. So the area, oh boy ... !!!
Personally people who went there knows what I am talking about, the 2 polish girls tourists that went there (that I met) just wanted to change area after 2 nights, so did I and was much happier in the resort where we stayed, unfortunately no diving over there.

There are precisely SIX girlie bars in whole Sabang and if you do not go inside you would never know what the fuss is all about. Everything has been kept very low profile unless you are specifically looking for it. Sabang is NOT Patong Beach and even there you can avoid the "unsavory" scene if you wanted.
Capt'n Greggs is an established dive operator in PG for a very very long time. I am surprised by your comment but then you are entitled to it.
So where did you stay eventually where diving is NOT available?

The sleaze is easily avoided.

Personally, I love the diving there, especially for macro! Could easily do a week or two without getting tired of the place thanks to the many choices of restaurants and watering holes.

Why on earth does this keep coming up about Sabang? As Centrals said, the seedy part of Sabang is limited to one small area, (if you don't count the two floating bars out in the harbor) and these places are all right next to each other. If you don't walk down that street, you will never see them. You may hear them after dark, but that's all, and a short walk west down the beach and you won't hear them either. There are a few adult male westerner types walking around with their little female "associate" following along behind them (I believe they call them 'Guest Relations Officers'?) but they aren't bothering anybody. Drunks wandering around? I suppose this happens, but I have to admit I have never seen one; but then I don't usually pay much attention to other people's business. I'm not blind, though, and I think if you get a little ways away from the bars in Sabang central, you will never see this. But remember, this is the Philippines, for crying out loud. It's an entirely different culture from what we westerners are used to, and isn't that part of why we travel over there, to experience other peoples and places and "broaden" ourselves? You have to watch how you apply western sensibilities to these places, I think. However, this is just my 2PSI worth, and YMMV.

Western sensibility? Sorry Buddy but in my 2O last years of traveling in South Eastern Asia, I am proud of that westren sensiibility that makes me want to punch those fat old losers walking hand in hand with a filipina i fear younger than 20 years old.

I will never forget in BigLaLaguna the shame in the eyes of a very young filipina, exposed and handled on the beach like a sextoy by her western "boyfriend", a 50 years old b****d, probably so eager to show the cutie he b(r)ought from Manila. Dirty guys know no border, they're certainly not afraid with the distance from Sabang to Big Lalaguna or even from Manila to Big Lalaguna. The problem with PG is not so the "local girls" but the western fauna and their company, who spend the weekend coming from Manila.

I completely agree with Funscuba opinion, and would hardly come back, although I was staying in BLL at BLLBC, great dive centre btw, a pity it's located in PG.

Back
Top Bottom