Help with beginner diving in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miguelbuk

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm new to diving, and I'm planning a trip to the Philippines this March. I'm on a low budget, but I'm ok with time, I can stay for 2 months, maybe more. I want to take the Open Water (PADI) and then do some diving and also snorkeling.
I'm thinking that the Visayas would be a good place to start...
On my (dream) list are 5 possible destinations:
1. Sogod Bay, southern Leyte
2. Apo Island (Dauin/Dumaguete)
3. Malapascua
4. Moalboal
5. Bohol (Balicasag, Cabilan...)
Where is the best place (cheap accommodation and dives, and preferably with good snorkeling) to take de Open Water?
As a beginner could I do some dives in all of the above places and still enjoy what they have to offer? (e.g. In Malapascua will I be able to see the sharks? Or do muck diving?)
What's the most overall expensive of those locations? I have no problems with basic accommodation (unless there is no other option, I would prefer to stay in a single room, I'm a bit too old for dorms, I'm 43, and I like to eat local food) :cool2:
Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Thanks

---------- Post added January 10th, 2015 at 07:42 PM ----------

I was reading some threads and Puerto Galera could be a good place to get certified. And I could also go to Anilao. Then the Visayas. But the accommodation in Anilao seems to be very expensive. Are there cheaper places to stay, like in Puerto Galera?

Last edited:
You could find some very cheap places in Sabang or Puerto Galera. If your idea of a shower is a bucket there's rooms down to approx 10 usd a night.... (Big Apple dive resort). Anyway my guess is that you should be able to find something quite decent for 1000 - 1500 php a night. Everything lies shoulder to shoulder so theres almost no chance ending up somewhere not central.

Two months is enough to see most places in Visayas not counting the Mindanao.
As far as I am concern, Nelson in Moalboal offers really cheap and quality dive and the man himself is a very experienced instructor albeit a bit laid back.
Peter in Sogod Bay has simple room but the place is isolated for everything. But diving is GOOD.
Harold Mansion in Dumaguete is geared towards backpackers.
Evolution in Malapascua can find cheap local accommodation for you.
Most operators eg. Frontier Scuba, Sea Rider and South Sea in Puerto Galera can also find cheap room. A 3 dives per day package including room and breakfast should be around US$100.00.

You can't go wrong with Visayas.

Last edited:
hi ! I suggest you go here in Aninuan Puerto Galera, accessible from Manila..You can find here a affordable resort and good local food in a good price. You can enjoy the snorkeling and diving also.we can give you a good price to get your Open Water course. just email me for more details regarding the diving..edgarsuril@yahoo.com.

Thanks and hope to see you soon here.

Hi! Thanks for the replies. After reading some threads it looks like Malapascua is for a more experienced diving, or maybe I'm wrong. So my best bet to get certifed in the Visayas would be in Moalboal (Cebu), Dumaguete (Negros) but no snorkeling here. Alona in Bohol looks expensive, but maybe doing the Open Water there I could get some discount with accommodation. Is there Open Water (PADI) at Sogod Bay?

Malapascuas best diving is for more advanced divers, but if you leave it to the end of your trip you should be fine. You should also be able to.find. homestay type accommodation in all the areas you have identified. The dive guides know where all the accommodation is. There is great snorkelling in Maolboal...there is a reef the whole way around the island.with coral.and turtles and sardines if you are lucky. From Dumaguete you can visit Apo which has great snorkelling. Sogod Bay has many dive shops who should all offer OW.

Have a great trip

App Island has some great dives but if I remember correctly the currents were kind of strong. We did mainly drift diving here!!

1. Most if not all places should be able to provide ow course.
2. Moalboal is the easiest to get to and diving/snorkelling is readily available on the door-step. As far as I can remember, current was never an issue there.
3. By the end of a two months diving trip and if you still cannot handle current then you have a problem! However, take it easy in the beginning.
4. There are relatively cheap places to be have on Alona Beach if you stay away from the beach. There have been substantial development on the beach over last few yrs. The charm has long gone, I am afraid.
However, Genesis Divers on Alona Beach has really cheap room at Peter's which is right on the beach. Very rustic room.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help! I can't wait to get there...

Dived for the first time, and took the OW course, at Apo Island. Plenty of options for beginners; the divemasters are great.

Definitely leave Malapascua for the end. The thresher shark viewing at Monad Shoal is beyond OW limits, at 25 metres or so.

IIRC the current limit for a visa-on-arrival (available to EU citizens) is 30 days. Are you scheduling a visa run getaway to a nearby country in the middle of your stay, or planning to get a longer visa in advance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom