1 Week in September departing from Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willcoles

Registered
Reaction score
In September I'm going to a wedding in China, so after doing some sightseeing and traveling around I've been looking for a good beach/dive destination. I've ruled out China as the scene, as well as the sea life looks to be dead. So having spent 2 weeks around the Cebu area before (Maolboal, Alona Beach & Cabilao) I thought a week in the Philippines would be a good option.

The easiest option at first looked to be Boracay, but having read about the diving there I'm looking for elsewhere.

We'd like to stick to one place really, with some night life for a few beers and good diving, ideally with good travel links back to Manila so getting there and away is easy.

As for the diving, we have both done ~40-50 dives and are Padi AOW divers having mainly dived in Thailand at Koh Tao, Phangan, Pee Pee & Lanta,but also in Australia & New Zealand.

We haven't yet seen Whale Sharks but this isn't essential, it would be nice to see Turtles and the odd Shark though. Manta Rays would great to see also but realise this would probably have to be on another trip.

Having searched the forum the options I've found and the reasons I'm discounting for now are:
Boracay - Spoiled
Malapascua - Quiet and quite out of the way
Sogod - Very out of the way
Cebu area - have been here before would like to see somewhere else ideally but isn't essential
Palawan - Not that interested in wreck diving.
Apo area - Nowhere stood out as an option

So any other ideas or advice would be great, thanks in advance.

In September I'm going to a wedding in China, so after doing some sightseeing and traveling around I've been looking for a good beach/dive destination. I've ruled out China as the scene, as well as the sea life looks to be dead. So having spent 2 weeks around the Cebu area before (Maolboal, Alona Beach & Cabilao) I thought a week in the Philippines would be a good option.

The easiest option at first looked to be Boracay, but having read about the diving there I'm looking for elsewhere.

We'd like to stick to one place really, with some night life for a few beers and good diving, ideally with good travel links back to Manila so getting there and away is easy.

As for the diving, we have both done ~40-50 dives and are Padi AOW divers having mainly dived in Thailand at Koh Tao, Phangan, Pee Pee & Lanta,but also in Australia & New Zealand.

We haven't yet seen Whale Sharks but this isn't essential, it would be nice to see Turtles and the odd Shark though. Manta Rays would great to see also but realise this would probably have to be on another trip.

Having searched the forum the options I've found and the reasons I'm discounting for now are:
Boracay - Spoiled
Cebu area - have been here before would like to see somewhere else ideally but isn't essential

Puerto Galera comes to mind :)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...-report-puerto-galera-28feb2014-7mar2014.html

September has its challenges for you. Not the whale shark season in Donsol or Leyte.

Malapascua definitely has a good beach/dive/fun scene. I would not call it quiet. As you identify, transit time is an issue. Could you fly to Cebu from China, rather than to Manila, to cut down on lost time?

Puerto Galera - Big La Laguna has a small beach and a variety of diving. Many restaurants within walking distance (with a flashlight). Easier walking at night from Small La Laguna but I wouldn't say SLL had a beach to lie out on. Transit from Manila is a car/bus ride and ferry/bangka, three hours in ideal, seldom-realized conditions and up to five-six hours otherwise.

But in September, you'd have to be prepared for the risk of storms disrupting the Batangas channel crossing -- meaning you might have to cut your diving short in order to catch the last boat out before a storm.

Anilao : easy transit from Manila, quieter at night, not easy to walk out from your own resort to anywhere else.

I agree with FT on his various points about Sabang/Puerto Galera. September is sort of weather chancy, I admit, but then this will be true for anywhere you are considering from that area. Usually, it's not really much of a problem, and if you use private transport, you have a little more control over that crossing, but a good storm can strand you, it is true. This will not happen with Anilao, but there are a number of problems with that place for a one or two person trip, as has been extensively discussed here before, along with the isolation factor. I think that Sabang will provide you with most of what you seem to need, although there is not much available in the way of beaches, I agree, and big fish are rare. There should be a few turtles, however, along with a wealth of other tropical life. I have an extensive report on this area from last year back in my postings if this would help you at all. Please contact us if we can be of any further help to you. Woody

Boracay - Spoiled

You would like to see turtles, odd shark and may be manta ray.
You are discounting(now) Apo Island(area), Cebu area, Malapascua, Sogod Bay and Palawan. What is the alternative for 1 wk stay?
1. Apo Reef: Approach from Pandan Island or liveaboard(eg. Rags II). Turtles and shark Yes but never seen a manta ray there myself. But getting to Pandan Island is NOT that easy.
2. Camiguin, Camotes island, Davao, General Santos, San Fernando(La Union), Sipalay and Surigao: Can't remember if I ever seen any turtles, shark or manta ray on my short visit in those places.
3. Tubattaha, Sept is too late(only from mid Mar to Mid June).
4. Subic Bay is mainly for wreck.
5. There are others that I never been.

I would have to agree with others ie. Sabang.
If you find yourself diving The Kilemar Steps keep an eye on the blue water because thresher shark has been regularly spotted over last few yrs.
BTW, some divers found certain above water scene in Sabang revolting!!! So you have been warned.
Check the schedule of Rags II and you may be lucky for a short trip to Apo Reef from Sabang.
Keep your eyes on weather forecast in Sept!!!!

Thanks for the replies. Seriously considering Puerto Galera now, looks like a very good option.

Still thinking about flying to Cebu or Dumaguete but the extra travel time is off putting. We're flying from Guanzhou in China which only has direct flights to Manila. But there is the possibility of flying from Hong Kong which has a direct flight to Cebu so we could head up to Malapascua from there...

Have very fond memories of diving Moalboal, one of my favourite diving photos was taken there:

Could drop back in to to see the sardines and turtles! It will be good to go back the Philippines, it has been too long.

1. The direct flight(5J) from Cebu to HK is 06:00 so get the indirect flight(via Manila but more expensive) back. Even more expensive option is CX.
2. The flight(5J) from Canton to Manila is NOT daily and arrives just pass midnight. You will have to wait for couple of hrs for the crossing(even for private boat).
3. The flight from HK to Manila by 5J is 4 times a day. Both CX and PR also ply the route.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom