Trip Report - Anilao Dec. 7 - 17, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonnaC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had “liked” the Bluewater Photo Facebook page a while ago and every so often I would see some great photos of an exotic location and think “I would love to go there”. One day, I saw the price to Anilao and thought “Maybe I could afford $1495 for a week of diving (this includes lodging, meals, dives, dive guide, and photo instruction)…. I wonder how much it costs to fly there…” I checked Seattle and was seeing 2 stops, many hours, and about $1200, hmmm… Then checked Vancouver, BC – seeing direct flights or 1 stop with good arrival times – for about $1000! Maybe this could work! I proceeded to sign up for the trip and sent off my $400 deposit to BWP and booked the flight. Leaving December 5th at 12:20am, arriving in Taipei, Dec. 6th at 6am, leaving Taipei at 7:35am, arriving in Manila at 9:40am.
My first flight went smoothly (thanks to a sleeping pill). Unfortunately, my layover at Taipei wasn’t long enough because I had to go through security – and fortunately they knew that and waited for the thousand or so people stuck in that line. After leaving a little late from Taipei, I arrived in Manila, changed dollars to pesos and found the yellow “fixed price” taxi stand. A 20 minute taxi ride later, I was at the Best Western Oxford Suites in Makati. I had connected with another diver and we had plans to see a little bit of Manila on the 6th, prior to being picked up at a Manila (Makati) hotel the following morning to be shuttled to Anilao. Unfortunately, her Philippine Air flights got REALLY messed up and she wasn’t going to make it there in the morning. And also….there just happened to be a Typhoon heading our way. The tour that we had booked was cancelled by the operator – due to the Typhoon. Great.
Crystal Blue Dive Resort shuttles picked us up at 8am on December 7th and we had a quick 2 ½ hour drive to Anilao – worrying about the Typhoon ….would we need our trip insurance? The resort staff quickly carried our luggage and dive gear up the many steps to the hotel rooms and we proceeded to unpack, set up cameras (there was a beautiful camera room with lighting, electricity, storage and set up space), dive gear, and eat lunch before two afternoon dives. The room was small, but clean - with a beautiful view. We had lunch and a quick orientation – then prepared for our first dives in Anilao.
This was my first trip to the Philippines and my first trip where I planned to “Muck” dive. I signed up for this trip based on my love of Macro photography. I watched Youtube videos and was concerned about seeing clusters of divers waiting for their turn at the photo subject but figured that I would go with the flow and figure it out. I wish that I had educated myself on muck diving – and I wish that my group of 4 (with our guide) had been educated on muck diving. There are some techniques that go beyond controlling your buoyancy.
Here is a great video on ‘Muck Diving Tips”:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJODUOoWgc
Our first 2 dives were at Secret Bay – we saw Seahorses, Frogfish, Anemone shrimp, Nudibranchs, Soft corals, Crinoid Shrimp and much more. We also saw trash…. On my first dive, I was collecting it and putting in my BC pocket – I soon realized that there was trash everywhere. On muck dives and beautiful reefs there is trash. Through the week, I kept thinking, “what if every diver gave up one dive per trip and just collected trash – would it get cleaned up? I’d like to think so.
My last couple of dive trips were Bonaire and Cozumel so there was some culture shock when it comes to taking care of the reefs. There are some locations with mooring bouys and many more where an anchor is thrown on the reef with visible damage from the anchors. Some of the “boatmen” told me that there is government money set aside for more moorings. I hope so!
Going from a location where you may not wear gloves and may not touch even dead coral or rocks to a location where the dive guide finds incredible creatures for you to photograph by digging up, poking, picking up and placing critters, squishing (soft corals) – is strange. My room-mate chose to request that her dive guide not do these things which I applaud her for. As for me – I am going with the flow and trusting my Filipino dive guide to know how and what to do to protect these critters – and that it is better that he do it than for me to be poking around.
I had several different guides at Crystal Blue and am very thankful for their help and know that I would have seen many fewer critters without their assistance!! Special thanks to Jomel, Pong, and Glenn.
After a wonderful dinner and photo instruction, we discussed the Typhoon. Various discussions circulated – it’s breaking up (wishful thinking), it will be here tomorrow, the resort will write whatever they need to if we lose many dive days – for the trip insurance. The gist – no diving on Day 2. On December 8th, 2014 – Typhoon Ruby moved over our location. There was lots of wind and rain but we were snug in our resort restaurant/gathering place – the food was great, photo instruction off and on all day, and a nice group of people to hang around with – and at least we had two dives worth of photos to edit…And two photo pros (Mike Bartick and Kelli Dickinson) to give us tips on Lightroom and Photoshop.
Day three: still pretty gray and rainy but not that windy. After hanging out for a little while, Mike made some phone calls to see if he could get any of the boats out to take us diving. They all declined but Crystal Blue #3 – we were going diving! I think we had about 6 divers and one dive guide. We started on the house reef and then did some muck diving later. Three dives in all that day. The water was stirred up but at least we were in it!
After that day, we returned to the planned dive schedule. Breakfast at 7am, Dive #1 at 8am (usually about 60 minute dives) an hour surface interval on a beach and then dive #2. Then back to the resort for lunch, battery changes, and photo downloads. Dive #3 at 3pm, Night dive at 5:30 and then back to the resort again for shower, dinner, photo downloads, and maybe some photo instruction.
My room-mate and I did every dive for the next six days. With three dives on my last day, I had a total of 32 dives in Anilao. Would I do this trip again? A huge, resounding YES!
Things that I would do different: a longer layover in Taipei, no Typhoon, set up International internet for my own use (the Resort WIFI was sketchy), request that all divers in my group watch the muck diving video ☺, and not try to get to the Manila Airport at rush hour.
Now that I’ve finished editing over 2000 images taken in Anilao, I have some more thoughts on this experience. On the first day, we were placed into groups of (4) and assigned a guide and a boat. There is a hierarchy of dive guides – most likely seniority with Edgar being the most well- known and requested guide. There also seemed to be some competition between them for finding the most, best and the smallest critters. Jomel would show me critters that were too small for my 60mm lens. After several days and some “no thanks” he finally understood that I couldn’t take photos of microcritters like hairy shrimps. About midway through the week, I added my 1.4 teleconvertor which helped – next time I hope to have a SuperMacro lens to play with.
The initially assigned groups changed as some divers elected to join other dive guides. I stayed with Jomel and couldn’t be more grateful. After six days of diving, many of the divers left for home. My roommate and I then had a boat to ourselves and both her dive guide Pong and my guide Jomel. It was amazing having a personal dive guide! The following day we arrived at the dive deck to find that we would have my roommate’s dive guide, Pong (he was more senior than Jomel). Those dives were different for me because Pong honored my roommate’s request not to molest the critters.
On the last day, we went back to a couple of dive spots in one boat as a group of the divers and guides who were left. I am so grateful to dive guide Glen for showing me the mushroom coral pipefish and the pipedragon on the Daru Laut dive! On my last dive, due to flight times I had a boat and dive guide Pong to myself – I wanted one more try at the Pink Pygmy Seahorses…..it was a perfect way to end the trip. Pygmy Seahorse, Anemone crab (that I found myself!), Bubble coral Shrimp, more new Nudibranchs, and the fish with the crab in his mouth.

Here's a link to see my photos: donnainblaine.smugmug.com

Last edited:
Thank you for the great report. I am going soon. Can't wait. Love muck dives.
Trash is sad but some create habitats for critters & that is a plus side to the litter. I dislike it when divers remove the bottles & cans at my local muck site. I have returned more octos, spiders & nudibranchs than I like to count when putting them back.

Hi Donna :),

Thanks for the Anilao Trip report and the Muck diving video link :), I Am going with them ( Bluewater Photo - Scott ) next month so Your trip report was helpful :), Thankyou :)

Just want to ask You, I Am novice ( 46 dives ) so are there any dive sites which have strong currents ( Which I should avoid ) ? From whatever online info. I got I came to the conclusion that for Me, for doing WA, Twin Rocks, Sombrero, Devil's Rock and Beatrice will be good but heard Beatrice can have strong currents and for Macro its, Secret Bay, Basura, Secret Garden and also Twin Rocks which is also good for Macro

All these sites except Beatrice ( sometimes ) dont have strong currents right ?

According to You which sites are good for WA photography ?

Also Do We have to set up/ready our Dive equipment before the dives or does the Resort staff gets it done of Us ?

Regards,
Salil

You should have little if any trouble with currents on the sites around Anilao. There may be a little in some places, but nothing like what you routinely see at Cozumel, for example. This is a great place for beginning divers. There are a few places that are a little more advanced, but they will tell you about this and guide you to where you are most comfortable. Nobody wants to throw you into something you can't handle or don't like, believe me. I was at Anilao about 2 years ago, and the diving was superb and not challenging at all. It is mostly macro, as you already know, but there are a few wide angle places if you look for them.
As to the gear set-up, this probably varies with the dive operator. I know that they pretty much had mine setup for me on the boats, and I couldn't even carry my camera bag all the way from my room down to the boat, without someone spotting me and running up and taking my bag and carrying it the rest of the way down. I think they are pretty much all this way. I would check everything over before using, of course. They even brought everything up and rinsed it and hung it to dry for us after the diving. Again, pretty much standard behavior. You should have no trouble. Woody

Back
Top Bottom