A couple weeks, Malapascua or Sogod, which would you choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmaloof

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to the Philippines the first two weeks of March. We had thought about trying both Malapascua and Sogod, but the journey between the two may be a bit much. We like the idea of Mala, as there seems to be beach to hang out on during off days (we like the take a day off from diving here and there), and numerous places to eat, but Sogod seems less spoiled and possibly even better diving (plus there is the possibility of a whale shark trip). I know it has no beach area, but is there something else there to do like a bit of jungle exploring (we like reptiles, certain large insects, and weird/interesting mammals to look at).

Which would you choose? Also, we are now thinking of roundtrip to Cebo, is there someplace near Cebo that might also be of worth to dive, that would make sense time-wise with either of these places?

Last edited:
Malapascua is pretty isolated. Therefore journey to other diving destination is not that straight forward.
1. Alona Beach in Bohol, ferry from Cebu City is around 2hrs.
2. Moalboal is 2hrs by car from Cebu City.
3. Dumaguete, either by bus + ferry(4-5hrs) or ferry(4hrs) from Cebu City.
4. Oslob for the whaleshark(circus style) is about over an hr drive south of Cebu City.
5. Camotes Island which is actually closer to Ormoc than Cebu Province!! Catch the ferry from Danao which is an hr drive north of Cebu. There is ferry from Ormoc to one of the island.
If you include the travelling time(~4hrs) between Cebu City and Malapascua, the journey to Sogod Bay is not that bad!

Fly to Cebu, go to Malapascua and then travel to Sogod Bay and out from Tacloban or vice versa!

Centrals, you have been a wealth of info! We really wanted to do both Malapascua and Sogod, but wondered about spending a day to do so. So now you have me back to thinking to try and do both (both seem like the most appealing areas to us). Since you post that last, it seems like a strong suggestion. The only thing is that coming from the US, it's going to take us 22 to 24 hours to reach Cebu, and so there is some concern about spending half a day to get someplace, but that seems to be the way it is.

So I see that there are flights from Tacloban to Cebu. I'm thinking that what you suggest is that after Sogod, we take the 3 hour drive to Tacloban, then fly to Cebu (or, as an alternate, take a Tacloban flight to Manila and fly back to the US that way. In other words, fly into Cebu, fly out of Manila).

As an alternate, we could try Turtle Bay dive resort in Moalboal, seems to get good reviews, and is only two hours from Cebu City. Ah, but I'm sure you are going to tell me the diving will not be as good as in Sogod! (and I'm fine with an honest answer, this is our first time diving in the Philippines, and we want to make it special after a few years of caribbean diving. We were in Palau and Yap a few years ago, and those dive experiences have really stuck with us, looking forward to a return to the area!)

I'm actually in Malapascua right now and in my opinion there are other places that are better than it to dive in the PI.
Yes it has nice a nice beach, and restaurants to chose from, and yes Ive enjoyed the diving but for a first trip with a beach and restaurant choices I would chose Alona over it. Alona has nice walls, it has a beach, and plenty of places to eat at actually more than Malapascua.
There is also Puerto Galera which does have beach and good diving ( but I've not been there, and will go one day)
Now for the best diving but staying at semi isolated resorts I would chose either Anilao or Dauin/Dumaguete- great diving and from what I've seen the best in the PI.
(though I've not heard anything about Sogod except here, I'll look into it for when I return the next time)

I just return from diving holiday in the Philippines. We went around Cebu area. We visited:

- Moalboal (3 hours from Cebu, diving/snorkeling: sardines run + Pescador Island)

- Oslob (1 hour from Moalboal) - whale shark snorkeling (my review, movie and photos of whale sharks in Oslob are available here: The Whale Sharks and Oslob’s Controversy

- Dauin in Dumaguete (25 minutes via ferry to Negros Island - we love the diving there very very much: muck diving + wall diving in Apo Island) I think I will return to Dauin. No reviews yet but soon in my blog.

I have been to Malapascua and Panglao two years ago. Personally, Dauin is my fave but if you wish to see thresher sharks, Malapascua is certainly the place to visit...

Hope this will give some more information..

There are many intersting diving places in Philippines especially around Visayas eg. Alona Beach(Bohol), Dauin(Dumaguete), Mactan Island(Cebu City), Malapascua, Moalboal and Sogod Bay etc etc.
Both Malapascua and Sogod Bay are happened to be quite out of the way.
Dauin is well known for the macro and Apo Island is not bad either.
Moalboal is good especially with that school of sardine around. The wall is beautiful and healthy and turtles are regularly sighted.
Alona Beach is too build up for my liking. I would recommend this place 15yrs ago but... There are good reports on Anda but I have never been there so no comment.
Unless you have decided to stay in one place otherwise travelling around the country takes time! And using public transport will give you certain insight of the country ie poverty!
Which is better? We are all individual so why don't you stick with your original plan!
Finally, if you want to coporate WOW factors into your trip then how about Malapascua(thresher shark), Moalboal(school of sardine) and Oslob(whalshark)? It will be a long trip from Malapascua to Moalboal(6-7hrs) but if you start early you have plenty of time to make two dives in Moalboal!!!
Have fun.

---------- Post added January 23rd, 2015 at 09:08 AM ----------

- Dauin in Dumaguete (25 minutes via ferry to Negros Island - we love the diving there very very much: muck diving + wall diving in Apo Island)
I assumed you travelled from Moalboal to the ferry terminal in Cebu Island first eg. Santender.

Last edited:
Oh, just to let you know about the sardines in Moalboal - when we were there (late Dec 2014- early Jan 2015), the sardines were swimming on the surface near to housereef of Sumisid Lodge. It was better to see them by snorkeling...Not sure later this year..

@Central - yes you are correct :)

Ok, Centrals (and others who have dived both). Would you say the OVERALL dive experience is better in Sogod than Malapascua? (While Thresher Sharks could be cool, I don't feel insanely drawn to do it. I did the manta dive in Yap, and it was ok, but even our dive master said "Ok, now that we have that out of the way...". I wonder if the Thresher dive will have the same "novelty" dive effect the Yap manta dive did on me. Not a necessary dive to do).

Walls! My wife especially likes wall dives. I dig them too.

I think we may be leaning toward a resort on Sogod split with some place closer to Cebu (Moalboal? Alona beach? While it may be built up a bit, I've read there may be decent wall diving there). Thinking now spending the extra money and flying in and out of Cebu.

Reasonable ferry travel possible between Bohol and Leyte for combination of Sogod and Alona...

Thresher shark is more attractive than manta!!! Unfortuantely this animal is very timid unlike manta which can be quite inquisitive. So the sighting can be quite short and from a distance as well!! And also the dive at Monad Shoal can be pretty crowdy. However, it is the main reason for divers coming to Malapascua. The night dive at the light house for the mandarin fish is cool! The wreck of Dona Marilyn and Gato Island are also recommended.
Sogod Bay: The wall at Napantao is really beautiful and healthy. I would just go to Sogod Bay to dive this wall any time!! As far as I am concern, only the wall at Tubattaha can rival this one in whole Philippines if not in whole SE Asia!!
Getting to Sogod Bay via Cebu City(by air):
It is all depend on your arrival time! Fast and slow ferries are frequent to Leyte(Hilongos, Ormoc and Maasin) but the connection to your resort should be your main concern if you arrive in the evening.

What would I do if I have 2 wks and thresher shark is NOT high in the agenda? And to keep any transfer to 3hrs max.
Moalboal, Dumaguete(Apo Island and Siquijor Island) and Alona Beach.
But do take a look at Salamangka Resort in Siquijor!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom