Dive Computers to be Required in the Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

audiotyro

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I read a short article in Xray Magazine (Jan 2015 issue) that the Philippine Commission on Sports Scuba Diving (PCSSD) intends to require dive computers and baloons for diving in the Philippines. Article didn't give much details except that an official announcement will be made in the Official Gazette. Does anyone have any details on this? Thanks.

:balloons: :D

My understanding(from talking to someone who was at the meetings where this was discussed and who is heavily involved with PCSSD) is that it will be a recommendation and not a law as such. The PCSSD already "requires" lots of things that most dive operators pay no attention to due to complete lack of policing by the PCSSD.

So I don't think you need be concerned(if you are) that this will be implemented any time soon.

I am not professing support or lack of through this post - I'm just telling what I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
After my prescription mask, my next gear purchase was a computer then a safety sausage. I've had these for years before I completed my gear.
In my opinion any diver who dives every year should have a computer and sausage/whistle before all other equipment. My safety comes before all else.

If so-----Good,.....they both need to be-----I never leave the house---eer boat/shore---without them.......

Personally I think all divers should carry a (D)SMB and taught to use them if not at OW stage then certainly at AOW.

For use under water some training is required.

I have been using SMBs for years, for use on the surface it is not rocket science and potentially could safe your life, if not shorten your return to the boat. Even for shore dives I carry one, you never know what might happen.

Thanks for the replies. Cost would be an issue for a lot of divers here. I no longer dive enough to warrant a purchase and have just been renting lately. I thought this was going to be my justification for replacing my busted one. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom