Best Land based diving for large pelagics in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tovster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am an experienced American diver living in Jakarta, and I dived some of Indonesia's best. I want to dive the Philippines from a land based resort. I need internet access for my work. I cannot do a liveaboard on this trip. I've heard great things about this country's diving. I'm spoiled here in Indo, but I am craving to dive with larger Pelagics at the end of Feb/early March. Indo doesn't really have the "big stuff." I don't know where to go? I know there are lots of places, but I don't want to miss the best the Philippines has to offer. I'm not looking for Muck or micro. I've got that all here all over Indonesia in my backyard. If you had a week to dive the Philippines' best, rich waters, where would you go? I would greatly appreciate your recommendations.

Yours,
Tov

How large you like em........Oslob, Cebu---guaranteed WS diving

8117441341_c5be6d4e1f_z.jpg
[/URL]Betsy whaleshark by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

If you count real close, 4 in this shot.......

8156138467_489e1fdf3b_z.jpg
[/URL]4 whalesharks-- by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

if you need to be land based than Malapascua is teh best option. However apart from the thresher shark dives in the early morning there is not much pelagic action. You can have the occasionally hammerhead or manta, but that is rare. Oslob, on Cebu Island is only one dive or snorkel with whalesharks.
I would not really choose the Philippines for pelagic action, the only place with good pelagic sightings is Tubbataha, but that is only accessible by liveaboard. Maybe try to find a liveaboard with satellite internet?

if you need to be land based than Malapascua is teh best option. However apart from the thresher shark dives in the early morning there is not much pelagic action. You can have the occasionally hammerhead or manta, but that is rare. Oslob, on Cebu Island is only one dive or snorkel with whalesharks.
I would not really choose the Philippines for pelagic action, the only place with good pelagic sightings is Tubbataha, but that is only accessible by liveaboard. Maybe try to find a liveaboard with satellite internet?

What he said.

The Philippines is a macro destination. Except for the Threshers and Tubbataha.

Not much left to say as it's been said. Panagatan cays has decent pelagic stuff, accessible by boat from a few places including Boracay when weather is good. Usually March April may. It's an all or nothing destination. I have seen white tips, hammerheads, mobula and eagle Rays there, giant guitar sharks and some grey reefs. They do also have mantas and Whalesharks. But I have been there and seen nothing over 3days so be warned. Tubbataha later in year maybe best option.

Head to Palau or Yap, unfortunately Palau would be best by live aboard but I think land based is possible. No I haven't been there but have been to most of the good Philippine dives locations but then I love the little macro that I can get a picture of before it swims away. I have been to Tubbataha (March thru May only) - whale shark, reef sharks and schools of fish.

Palau is fine as land based. Most of the liveaboards went to the same sites and actually as land based we had the option to lose the crowds and go dive in remoter areas looking for more specific shark types. Can recommend sams tours. Not cheap however. But isn't much further than ppines and no internal travel to really worry about. We used sea passion hotel there which was fine. Palau is all about mantas and sharks so agree with the above comment that it's your best bet.

Malapascua definitely to go see thresher sharks and occasionally mantas if your lucky even on the same dive. There have been sightings of hammerheads in a particular site near Malapascua, but you have to be lucky as well. If you're up for whalesharks then Oslob would be the place to go. Take note that these are being fed by local fishermen and you get to see up to 10 whalesharks at a time. These are the two destinations where the sightings are nearly every day, and you dont need a liveaboard. Internet in malapascua is available, depending on the diveshop/resort. For Oslob i'd recommend to stay in Dauin where there are more beautiful resorts, and olsob is about 1.5 hours away by boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom