topside questions re. Anilao diving - snacks, fins, SIs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephalopod2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,
I'm getting excited for my first trip to Anilao - have wanted to dive it for years but couldn't pull the logistics together. A couple quick questions re. topside:

Is there a big grocery store where I could buy some Western snacks (dark chocolate, etc) on the transfer from Manila to Anilao? Which one do people recommend? I'm thinking of something like Hardy's in Bali.

Are full foot fins OK for Anilao diving in terms of getting on to and gearing up in bangkas (not sure if these are wet shore entries to the bangkas)? I have a problem with my Mares open heel fins I may not be able to resolve in time. I know the bangkas are smaller ones in Anilao.

Do the boats come back to shore for SIs? Is there any shade for divers on the bangkas?

Anything else a first timer to Anilao should know? I managed to get a spot at Club Ocellaris (am travelling solo this trip).

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Once you are at the resorts in Anilao it can be a PIA to get to the store... I would stop somewhere along the way to pick up snacks. There are a ton of stores on the way out of Manila and theres also a big rest stop on the highway (SLEX) that have a good selection but of course a bit more expensive than a regular supermarket.

Excited to be a first timer at Club O myself at the end of April. Thanks for these questions - I am looking forward to others' responses!

Hi all,
I'm getting excited for my first trip to Anilao - have wanted to dive it for years but couldn't pull the logistics together. A couple quick questions re. topside:

Is there a big grocery store where I could buy some Western snacks (dark chocolate, etc) on the transfer from Manila to Anilao? Which one do people recommend? I'm thinking of something like Hardy's in Bali.

Are full foot fins OK for Anilao diving in terms of getting on to and gearing up in bangkas (not sure if these are wet shore entries to the bangkas)? I have a problem with my Mares open heel fins I may not be able to resolve in time. I know the bangkas are smaller ones in Anilao.

Do the boats come back to shore for SIs? Is there any shade for divers on the bangkas?

Anything else a first timer to Anilao should know? I managed to get a spot at Club Ocellaris (am travelling solo this trip).

Many thanks.

I just returned from a short trip to Anilao and PG so here is what I can share:

1. Like Ben has shared, stock up on snacks on your way to your resort as odds are, depending on where your resort is, there won't be any convenience stores nearby. If you are taking private transport, ask them about this as they will be more than familiar with what stores are along the way.

2. I would recommend wearing booties as there may be rocks and broken coral, depending on where you are, on the beaches. You may very well only be doing shore entry dives at the house reef. Alternatively, just wear your flip-flops on and off the bangka.

3. It depends on how far the dive sites are from the resort; If the dive sites you are headed to are very close by, then odds are you will be heading back to the resort for your surface intervals. Otherwise, it will be a day trip out. If it's a day trip, you will likely be spending your surface intervals on a beach nearby to the dive site. The guides will bring you to a place with shade.

Just remember to stock up on your groceries before getting to your resort. Also, prepare things to do topside such as a book. Wifi in the Philippines is generally not very good and as such I wouldn't rely too heavily on it.

Is there a big grocery store where I could buy some Western snacks (dark chocolate, etc) on the transfer from Manila to Anilao?
Is there any shade for divers on the bangkas?

As I recall there is a HUGE grocery store ~2/3 of the way, possibly in Batangas? Costco size, with dozens of "assistants" in uniform ready to help. Good popsicles.
Not much shade, but some. I wear a full-brimmed hat for dome and neck protection.
+1 on the booties- I'd say they are a must-have.
Awesome place, have fun!

coming from the airport to batangas you may purchase snacks (i.e. Lays, cheetos, dark chocs etc) at PETRON gas station along SOUTH LUZON EXPRESS WAY(SLEX). they have a grocery store

do try a local snack. in onion&garlic chips green color pack. oishi Ridges potato chips
ridges-onion-garlic-60g.jpg

I would stop at Bauan. After yout exit Batangas you will enter Bauan. On your left side you will see a store called "goldilocks" Which is an awesome place to get tasty bakery items. Next to it is a bank in case you need to use the ATM In addition to a small vertical mall to buy chips, drinks, etc. The road will make a sharp right turn in Bauan with a Jollibee on your left. Park there and walk 50m back to the small mall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom