water temp Anilao and Dumagete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just spent the last 10 days in Anilao, great diving, water temp was 25 C, so a bit chilly. If you are doing a lot of diving, a 4/5 mm suit with a hood or hooded vest would be good. Visayas will likely be a bit warmer, Malapascua water temp was 26 C a few weeks ago, I would guess that Dumaguete will be similar.

Hopefully it will warm up a bit by end of April when we will be in Anilao/PG.

Love your pictures Rob, whats Anilao/PG vs. Visayas like in December?

Had a Xmas/new year trip to Anilao+Moalboal more than a year ago, Anilao was 25C while Moalboal on Cebu was warmer water with 27-28 C.

Hopefully it will warm up a bit by end of April when we will be in Anilao/PG.

Love your pictures Rob, whats Anilao/PG vs. Visayas like in December?

I'm glad you like my pictures Jen. I don't have my old logbooks handy, but going by memory, generally water temps in Philippines range from 25-27 C. Visayas generally a bit warmer, say 26-27, whereas Anilao/PG closer to 25-26 range. Water temps are coolest perhaps around March/April and a bit warmer around November/December (but generally not a huge seasonal variation). Also, for some reason water temps this year in Anilao are cooler than they have been a few years ago.

I think the bottom line is you can get away with a 3 mm full wet suit if you don't dive a lot, but go for a 5 mm with hooded vest if you dive a lot (i.e., 3-4 dives a days). We were getting quite chilled in Anilao doing 3-4 dives a day but our bottom times were long, generally around 70-80 minutes. On one of our night dives we hit a thermocline that felt like a very chilly upwelling from the deep, but on my computer it registered as 24 C (but felt a lot cooler).

generally water temps in Philippines range from 25-27 C. Visayas generally a bit warmer, say 26-27
I've consistentely had temperature of 28C and over in the Visayas, esp in Dauin and Moalboal. Malapascua may be a little cooler

Sounds like another reason to come back to PI and hit Visayas as well. Luko's shots at Pescador look like Heaven!

Right now I have a 3 full, a 5mm steamer shorty thing to wear over the 3 full, a lavacore hood and vest to wear under all of that and I upgraded to some 7mm boots and a couple of pair of fleece line neoprene socks. I am hoping that will keep me warm enough. I am one of those coldies, I wish I had realized upfront and I would have gotten a 5mm full to start! I am glad I talked hubby into a 3/2 full for this trip because he was only wearing a skin before.

We have mostly dove 81-84F/27-29C in Bonaire, so its going to seem a little cold to me (hence all the layering purchases). I have come to the realization that I am going to eventually have to get a dry suit if I am ever going to be able to California/New Mexico/Florida (more local diving to Colorado).

It was 23/24C in early Dec(2015) in PG. Multi-layers were only bearable for me!!
Water temp should start creeping up slowly as summer is approaching.

I was in water yesterday here in Dauin (Dumaguete) coast and the water temp was 27C/91F. It was a bit chilly in my 3mm full wetsuit but the dive was so great with 12 baby frogfish (!) encounters that the temperature didn't really bother me.

The water is getting warmer towards the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom