Puerto Galera / Sabang quick in and out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LarryOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently had the pleasure to do a quick visit to Sabang and oh boy did this place deliver. Sitting on the plane back to the States yesterday with a big smile on my face and reflecting the experience, I must say that Sabang exceeded my expectations by far and I am already looking forward to coming back. The amount of bio diversity and ability to see so many different unique things is just amazing. I have been lurking on the board for a while but never posted before so a big thanks to all who have as existing info was very helpful in putting together plans for this trip. Here is a summary of my recent trip.

My visit to PG was part of a detour on the return from a business trip in Asia which allowed me to arrive early Saturday morning and depart on first ferry out on Wednesday morning. In order to waste as little precious dive time as possible, I had made arrangements for private transportation to the Blue Ribbon resort. Private arrangements were expensive but well worth it as I was on a very tight time schedule, had the itch to dive, and was not about to waste time by staying in Manila. Flight arrived in Manila around 1AM in the morning on Saturday, baggage collected, car left by 2:30AM, shortly before 5AM the boat slowly drifted in towards the pier in Sabang and viola by 10AM that same morning I was ready for my first dive! In four days, I did ten dives and each was interesting and offered unique environments, fish and critters to view. Could have done more but I figured two to three dives per days was just about right for my pace. Used nitrox on a few dives which kept me refreshed and not getting too exhausted.

Dives:
Canyons, Hole in the Wall, Sabang Wreck (night and day time), Sabang Point, Giant Clam, Dungeon Wall, Lalaguna Point, Ernie’s, Coral Garden.

Memorable Fish / Creatures seen:
Blue ribbon eel, large Sweet lips (spotted, striped), Sea snakes. Sea horses, Octopus, Frog fish, multitude of nudibranchs, Turtles, Puffers, Cow fish, Sea stars, Shrimp, Lobsters, Electric clam, Scorpion fish, Lion fish, Trigger fish, Sponges, Hard and Soft corals, Snappers, Angler fish, Bat fish, Stone fish, Cuttle fish, Moray eels, Anemones etc, etc………list could go on forever

I stayed at Blue Ribbon and liked it and would recommend to others. Friendly and helpful staff, good rental equipment and knowledgeable dive guides. For me the price point was about right for my budget and they have a special if you commit to six dives which was nice. Thumbs up!

My most memorable dive of the trip was an early morning visit to Canyons which started with my guide Jeff taking me through the Hole in the wall and then on to Canyons. Lots of fun as we snuck up on schools of large sweet lips (spotted and striped) just hanging out in the strong current. I was pleasantly surprised about how good the diving right in middle of the bay is given the amount of divers and boats in the area. Also, when we dove Dungeon Wall there was a strong current which made it felt like we were flying along the wall. In general, currents and tides were stronger than other great places which I have dove such as Roatan, GBR and Hawaii so this added to the experience.

Given the short amount of time I had at Puerto Galera, it was amazing, left me craving for more and I will be back.

That's the way we felt, and we're headed back in October!

Thank you so much for your post. In about a month we will be at Blue Ribbon in Sabang for 6 nights after a week in Anilao. We are getting very excited and I am glad to hear your positive review! We are hoping to try our fins at some drift diving and just enjoy the diversity there as its our first non Caribbean dive trip.

Do you have any suggestions specific to Blue Ribbon? Feel free to PM me if thats more appropriate. Thanks, Jenny

Thank you so much for your post. In about a month we will be at Blue Ribbon in Sabang for 6 nights after a week in Anilao. We are getting very excited and I am glad to hear your positive review! We are hoping to try our fins at some drift diving and just enjoy the diversity there as its our first non Caribbean dive trip.

Do you have any suggestions specific to Blue Ribbon? Feel free to PM me if thats more appropriate. Thanks, Jenny

I don't have any specific comments to watch out for at the Blue Ribbon as I was quite happy there. As many places in Sabang it is not a huge place so staff get to know you quickly which is nice. I am usually very laid back when on dive trips and trust local guides judgement on places to go etc as they live there and do these dives every day. However, as I was a solo diver with AOW I often had to tag along with the scheduled boat dives which needed to accommodate all guests I.e., if there were OWs that wanted to go out the schedule had to be set to accomodate their limits. I only realized towards the end that I could request a separate dive if a guide was available to be able to go a bit deeper. I also think you can also book a private guide if you ask. Not sure what they charge for private but maybe posted on their website, anyway it is probably quite reasonable. Don't be afraid to ask if you have specific request however it will be fine to trust the guides judgement as one morning I wanted to go to a deeper profiled dive but Herbert, the local dive master, took me to a place called Sabang Point which turned out to be a just fantastic dive and one of the better ones where I saw tons of stuff. Lastly, if you want to go to Verde Island you need to rally a minimum of four divers or go and check with other shops if they are going out on the date you want to go if you can not get together a group of four at the BR. Hope that helps.

Thanks Again, Larry - that is exactly the info I was wondering about! Specifically we are hoping for four dives a day, nice coral, and to make it to Verde if the conditions are good. Our backup for Verde Island is to go with next door neighbor Asia divers if we can't get a group at BR. Was it pretty easy getting Nitrox? How was the onsite restaurant, any dishes you recommend or would avoid? On the private transfer on the way back to Manilla did you have any time to souvenir shop in Batangas? Sorry we are so excited!

The restaurant in BR is one of the most reasonable in Sabang and the wide variety on the menu means you could easily eat all your meals there everyday. Their currys are great and well worth a try.

BR are a great op, so much so I've been back 5 times, if you're looking for value for money it can't be beaten.

LarryOne, was Robin the american still there when you passed through?

Thanks Again, Larry - that is exactly the info I was wondering about! Specifically we are hoping for four dives a day, nice coral, and to make it to Verde if the conditions are good. Our backup for Verde Island is to go with next door neighbor Asia divers if we can't get a group at BR. Was it pretty easy getting Nitrox? How was the onsite restaurant, any dishes you recommend or would avoid? On the private transfer on the way back to Manilla did you have any time to souvenir shop in Batangas? Sorry we are so excited!

Four dives per day should be no problem. Their regular schedule was 10am, 12:30, 3 and night dive at 6. Restaurant was good, manager and servers courteous. They have a nice grill special for kebabs and fish on weekends which to be recommended. breakfast was good with choices and I loved sitting on their couches facing the ocean for my morning coffee. You will be offered coffee or tea after each dive which is a nice touch.

---------- Post added March 28th, 2015 at 09:10 AM ----------

There was an American guy there named Marcus. he was teaching courses, seems like a good guy, quite friendly and happy to talk to me about diving and things to do on the island.

Yay! So glad to hear you had a good time. And it sounds like you got to see some pretty amazing stuff. I live in PG so it's always nice to hear people say good things about it. :)

Got my OW cert the first time I went to PG in '08. I have been back many times since and will continue to return in the future. Might even retire there ;0)

On the private transfer on the way back to Manilla did you have any time to souvenir shop in Batangas? Sorry we are so excited!

We just got back from Sabang, and used private transfer as usual. You might have trouble getting the van driver to stop for any shopping unless you arrange it in advance. Those guys are often scheduled pretty tight, and although I tried to get mine to stop at a liquor store so I could pick up some Philippine booze for my neighbors, he acted like he didn't understand (I told him 3 times during the trip...) and delivered me directly to the hotel. No problems, though, as liquor is sold just about everywhere, I found. Every 7/11 store (and there are dozens of them) has a surprising supply for sale, for example, and the big supermarket in Robinson's mall had a large liquor department. I brought him back a few bottles of White Castle, which some say is only good for paint thinner but which he seems to really like. I dunno- I don't drink, so I will take his word for it. But as to getting the van to arrange side trips, good luck. You can try to get your contact who is actually arranging the transfer to set this up in advance, but I also did this to no real effect. Time is money to these guys. I wish you luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom