going to PH for first time - some advice requested

Moalboal or Panglao

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedrewsf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi all - long time lurker (> 10 years?). I've really appreciated the great advice over the years, thank you! Finally registered as I could use a hand with my Philippines planning. I am arriving 16-June and spending a month there. Have sketched out a pretty badass itin, but could use a bit of help from some of you experienced folks, please.

Question #1 - Moalboal or Pangloa? Context...prior to going to either of these spots, I will have been to Malapascua and Duma/Dauin. I'm leaning towards Moalboal as it has walls, shoals and some other things I may not get as much of in the other two spots (read:panglao diving may be very similar to the other spots). I love walls, fyi (and shoals and oppty for pelagics as well). Plus, it looks super easy to get to Moalboal from Dumaguete. Which leads to my 2nd question;

Question #2 - Fly to Dumaguete out of CEB or better to drive/ferry it? I'll be coming from Malapascua. I'm leaning towards the flight as it looks to make for an easier travel day and flights internally right now are ridiculously cheap (actually bought a ticket for PPS->MNL for $10USD the other day...wtf?!). Plus, it looks like going back to Moalboal from Dumaguete will be easier than trying to get to Moalboal from Malapascua. I know it's backtracking a bit, but after Moalboal, I will be heading back to CEB to fly to Puerto Princesa (and that flight, right now, is hella cheap!). This seems to me to be an easier route, no? But, depending on what I hear re: Moalboal vs Pangloa, I may end up flying to PPS via TAG (if I end up doing Panglao instead of Moalboal).

Don't need too much details, folks...just a quick poll of your preferences for the two questions above. Thank you all very much!

EDIT: one more request, please. Suggestions on who to dive with in El Nido. Someone suggested Submariner. How are they?

Last edited:
1. There is direct ferry from Dumaguete to Tagbilaran. But I prefer Moalboal than Panglao in diving.
2. Dumaguete and Malapascua is miles apart and both Moalboal and Panglao are somewhere along the way. You really have to decide between Moalboal and Panglao if your next destination is Puerto Princesa. Do look up the flight schedule because for the "no fly" penalty after diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom