where - Philippines or nearby ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxrep99

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone have suggestions ? I have a trip from LAX to Thailand in July. Trying to find a convenient stopver for 4-5 days. Philippines looks good. But I can't find if it would be convenient. It looks like I can't just land in Manila, get a close hotel and to any close diving. It looks like I'dd have to jet around a bit more. anyone have experience with diving in the Philippines and recommend what airport to land at, to make it convenient for diving ? or - any other fun diving place to have a layover between LAX and Thailand ?

Do you have something against diving in Thailand? Most air routes stop in either Japan, Taiwan or S. Korea. The Philippines would be a significant detour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Manila you're only a few hours away from Puerto Galera or Anilao (I've only been to the former).

To get to PG you can just get a taxi from the airport staight to a bus terminal, maybe 1.5 hours travel then you have to take a ferry to the island. I've done it in one hit and it's very easy do don't write off the Philippines for that reason.

What do you recommend for Thailand ? I'm new to this, and don't know the good diving spots.
If you can recommend where to land, where to dive ? :) Thanks

Can't help on Thailand. Not sure this is your cheapest route, but yes you can fly Philippine Airlines from Los Angeles to Manila direct, then there are a variety of options from Manila on to Bangkok.

From Manila, the two easiest dive locations are, as mentioned above, Puerto Galera/Sabang, a drive and ferry combination, or Anilao, about a 2-4 hour drive depending on traffic. Knock-your-socks-off diving in both locations, and quite a few ops that take good care of novices and extend your education.

The best diving in Thailand in July will be around the Phi Phi Islands, and nearby locations in the Strait of Malaca. (The marine park in the Simian Islands will be closed.) July is one of the hottest months, but just before the main storm season. You would fly to Phuket (HKT) and pick a place to stay. Patong if you like Bangkok style nightlife, or Rawai if you want to be close to the boat piers, with still some options for going out. Phuket is a fun place to relax for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Philippines are pretty much as awesome as diving gets. From Manila it is a cab ride to get to a couple of solid spots. To go to somewhere like Malapascua, Dumaguete or Bohol you will have to jump on a plane and spend considerable time traveling, but staying near Manila would probably be just fine. I am not a fan of Manila city, but the Philippines get a lot more fun the further from the main cities you can get.

hei maxrep99,

in July, Anilao might not be a viable option. the resort we go to usually closes from July until November due to the wet season. of course, you can always luck out and get great weather!!! but generally, July in Anilao is not great. by extension, since Puerto Galera is a skip, hop and boat ride across, i would assume weather-wise, things would be very similar.

not sure about Phuket, perhaps you can ask in the Thailand forum? diving-wise, we've had good weather November to March.

really sorry for not helping with a recommendation. though i figure it helps knowing where you can't go as well?

oh, how about Sipadan in East Malaysia? getting there is a bit of a journey in itself, but July is a great time. you can fly Malaysia Airlines or AirAsia via Kuala Lumpur from Bangkok. the only issue is the number of transfers and probably having to overnight in either Kuala Lumpur or Kota Kinabalu. worth looking into though, if just for the diving.

It depends on what type of plane ticket you're looking for, but I'd aim for landing in Cebu rather than Manila. I think it's easier to navigate for rookies, and more good options nearby. If you're taking a break from Thailand, they don't have direct flights but they are pretty cheap with one stop. If you're stopping on the way or on the way back, you'd have to do two tickets, but you could in theory do LAX-Seoul-Cebu, stop for awhile, then a ticket onward to Thailand. Cebu doesn't have as many flights internationally, but they have a few, including Hong Kong, Seoul, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and I believe Tokyo.

Anyone have suggestions ? I have a trip from LAX to Thailand in July. Trying to find a convenient stopver for 4-5 days. Philippines looks good. But I can't find if it would be convenient. It looks like I can't just land in Manila, get a close hotel and to any close diving. It looks like I'dd have to jet around a bit more. anyone have experience with diving in the Philippines and recommend what airport to land at, to make it convenient for diving ? or - any other fun diving place to have a layover between LAX and Thailand ?

Thanks all! I looked at all suggestions below. Decided on Philippines. was able to set up a cheap transfer from Manila to Puerto Galera through Atlantis Dive resort.

you all are great. thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom