Anilao to Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have booked 18 dives over 5 days with Buceo Anilao in late March 2016. On the map, Mabini seems to be only "across the channel" from Puerto Galera. I was wondering if it is possible to do a dayboat trip from Anilao to the Puerto Galera dive sites and if so, do the Anilao dive operators offer them?

I have not heard of any day trips between Anilao and PG. I have taken a commercial ferry from Mabini to PG and a one way trip was almost 2 hours (if my memory serves me right). The ferry boat was a very large banca with much powerful motors. A small banca will definitely take a longer time to cross the Verde Passage. Also, you will experience a much rougher ride compared to the large commercial ferry bancas.

What I do know is that there are trips out to Verde Island that you can join. Boats do Verde Island if there are enough divers willing to go out and dive it. I believe a one way trip between Anilao and Verde Island is around 1.75 hours. I have not dived Verde Island yet but I heard great things about its dive sites. I guess it is another reason for me to go back and do it. I suggest that you inquire with Buceo Anilao if they will do trips to Verde Island during your stay.

I transferred from Aquaventure at Anilao to Atlantis Resort at PG. Atlantis made all the arrangements. Was picked up by a large banca, same size as the one that shuttles people between Bantagas pier and PG. I don't know if all the dive resorts provide this service.

Thanks people. I checked the small print at Buceo's website and it does say that trips to Verde Island or PG can be arranged once a week on request. I think it is more practical to try for a trip to VI and I'll check if one is operating in the week that I'll be at Anilao. That still leaves me with 4 days and 14 dives at Anilao itself. I do not want to reduce it any further.

Snorkeling at Puerto Galera is one of the place to go if you love outdoor activities. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
For private transfer (if you don't want to mess with the commercial ferries) you usually are driven to a small marina on the east side of Batangas, and then a large passenger bangka will pick you up and transfer you across the channel to Sabang, which is about an hours voyage. Be sure it will take you to your resort, and not to the commercial pier in Sabang. It can be a long sandy walk from the pier to your resort, especially dragging your baggage.

Buceo Anilao said that trips to Verde Island or PG depend on demand (fair enough) and so I have decided to try for Verde Island. I have expressed my interest on a 3-dive daytrip to Verde Island during my week there and if there is enough interest from other divers, we'll have a trip.

The reefs around Verde are amazing! I couldn't believe the variety of corals and critters visible all at once. My trip was last October and there were only three of us on the boat from Sabang, plus our dive master. And we were the only boat. The crossing was a bit choppy and there were some strong currents to pay attention.

Getting someone to help carry your luggage in Sabang will be very easy (for a small price). No big worries.

Probably the most unique site near Sabang is the Canyons. It was my favorite, second only to Verde. There are some bowl-shaped coral formations at around 25-27 meters. These formations are covered in pink soft corals. I saw more soft corals there than anywhere else in the area.

These are nearby on a map, but too far apart to do in a day. It's still a good idea to combine the 2 destinations; It takes about an hour by car to Batangas City from Anilao, and then 90 minutes by boat to Puerto Galera. Add some waiting time, but you'll still be able to dive in teh afternoon if you leave Aniao in teh morning.

I've seen a few boats from Anilao diving at the Pinacle in Verde Island. Always these boats seem to have a good few divers on them as oppose to the boats coming from Puerto Galera which only need 3 or so to make the journey which backs up the part about needing a few divers to make the trip financially worth while for the dive shop.

So yeah , you just need to get lucky and have others divers interested in joining you on the trip to Verde. Better start practicing your marketing skills :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom