September Trip - Please HELP!?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pconsidine007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

A buddy and I will be doing 6-7 day trip in Asia beginning of September - the Philipines are the front runner, but I have some reservations and questions around where to go and suggestions for how to handle the Typhoon conundrum.

The plan that seems most compelling goes something like this, based on my research:

Arrive Friday morning early in Manilla - hope to dive afternoon in Anilao
Saturday Anilao
Sunday Anilao
Monday Verde Island (ideally)
Tuesday Puerta Galera
Wednesday PG
Thursday PG morning dives
Friday - Travel back to Manila & fly out in the evening

Questions:
Is there any chance to do Verde Island departing from Anilao, and then get dropped in Puerta Galero all with a dive op? Seems to make some sense looking at the map, but maybe unrealistic.

If not I'll have to take the Anilao to PG charter/ passenger boat after an morning / early afternoon of diving in Anilao. Is that doable?

Is there an option to do Verde Island from PG? VI looks closer to PG than Anilao on the map.

I did Komodo (liveaboard) last year and it was incredible!!! I'm half tempted to go back (and skip Philipines altogether for now), as there is part of me that slightly dreads the typhoon threat and being on a boat in nasty weather (had my fair share of that last yr on a Maldives liveaboard). Any one have an thoughts on the pros and cons of this?

Also, thinking of waiting until last minute to book the Philipines - seems like low season any way so shouldnt be an issue I guess - figure if the Philipines are looking shacky at the time of the trip, we can just reroute to somewhere else (with 2 people, thinking it should be ok). Any suggestions on a last minute September booking alternative to the Philipines, also somewhere in Asia - if weather gets bad?

From my research, below are some "must dos":
Verde Island (3 dives - if I can get an op to go)
Fish Bowl Dive Site

Any thing else that we "must do", for folks who have been to Anilao / PG?

Really really appreciate any feedback SB might have.
Best,
P

You can definitely dive Verde island from either Anilo or PG - it's closer to PG though, so I'd recommend you plan to dive there when in PG. I doubt the drop off at PG option is workable - it's quite a distance. Contact Gavin at Badladz in PG. He'll keep you right, but Badladz is a budget option. It was great for me though - trip report here Puerto Galera Part 1 – underwater | Bags of Adventure

I recommend diving on Small La Laguna!!! It 3 minutes from the front of Atlantis Puerto Galera. Frogfish the size of dinner plates, Cuttlefish, {I can't master the BB code but if you click on the links below they should play}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP9n9KE9z-Q

multiple pygmy seahorses on one specific sea fan and on a night dive I was able to capture 15 minutes of a bluering octopus as he was unsuccessful in finding a crevice he could hide in!

https://youtu.be/do0jhL2mT90

I would highly recommend staying/diving with Atlantis Resorts. It has an incredibly well run diving operation with the best DM I've ever had (Thax) he found everything but the mermaid and unicorn that were requested (though he did point out one fish that I have yet to identify that had a 3" protrusion from its snout that looked an awful lot like a unicorn. Coral Cove is where I saw both large and small Flamboyant Cuttlefish hunting together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DtBp7LU07Q

Since they don't travel far you will probably find them. BTW, the food at Atlantis is to die for!

All Videos were on a Hero3. The Bluering was videoed with a Backscatter Macro that required me to get within about 3-4" from the free swimming octopus!!! I was a little nervous at times.

I just returned from a 10 day trip so the information is pretty current, FWIW.

Last edited:
Very tight schedule!
1. Typhoon should be your main concern.
2. As already suggested, dive Verde when based in PG. But you might have to charter a boat if there is not demand, Sept is low season and expect to pay around US$100.00 for the bother.
3. I am inclined to dive PG first and then Anilao. It is a lot easier to travel from Anilao to Manila in bad weather!
4. In PG, don't miss Canyons except in slack tide. Horse Head(36m) and Fish Bowl(40m) are also very good but you really have to prove your ability FIRST. Try South Sea Divers and stay at Angelyn(next door to each other). Atlantis is on the other side of South Sea but I fail to see why I want to pay through the noise to dive the same sites. Your choice.
5. If you are cocern with the weather then how about Bunaken or Lembeh Straits in Indonesia?

Thanks all! Really helps add some context.

As I read more and more, I've realized that the assumption is likely that my preference is for muck diving, given Anilao is a world renounded destination for muck and my original query seemed to prioritize Anilao.

TBH, I've never dove muck before, and while I definitely find it mildly compelling, I'm not hung up on it. In an ideal world, getting a first time experience with muck diving for a few days, followed by some VERY good blue water reef / wall (with decent current for palagics) would be the most compelling option for me.

To that point, do you all have any suggestions on the best place(s) for ticking both boxes.

Seems Aniloa (muck) + PG (blue water) is a strong option - though the looming typhoon threat still concerns me in September.

Q's below:
Spoke to Murex yesterday about doing the "Passport to Paradise" (all three locations: Lembeh + Bunaken + Bangka), but they said the 5-7 days that I have, means doing all three isn't possible (makes sense). Given this, and sticking to the Muck + Blue Water diving desire, would you reco doing Lembeh + Bunaken OR Lembeh + Bangka? Any thoughts on the benefits of each (including the logistical considerations, given the short time we have)?

Also, if you were doing 5-7 days in September, would you do Anilao + PG OR Lembeh + (Bunaken/Banka)? Seems like the Typhoon threat in the Philipines in September is the REAL DEAL, so leaning towards Indonesia. Thoughts?

Again, very appreciative of your thoughts/perspectives?

P

I second Centrals advice re South Sea divers and regarding Murex - Do Bangka and Lembeh over Bunaken/Mainland and Lembeh. Have dived with both South Sea Divers and Murex and recommend each. Id drop Bunaken over Bangka ever day of the week. Far better diving. If you are worried about typhoons, and there is no way to forecast that far ahead, book Lembeh and Bangka and you wont have any worries. In 5 - 7 days (does that include your travel time?) you will only just get enough of a taste of Bangka and Lembeh or if you choose PG & Anilao to keep you coming back. Manado option has less traffic and transport hassles no matter what time of the year.

Personally given the choice Id do Lembeh and Bangka again and leave Anilao and PG for another time.

Please check flight connection to Manado first.
I prefer Silk Air but it only has 4 flights per week from Singapore.
Weather should be fine in Sept but I do not know if there is any active volcano around the area. I believe Bali airport is still closed because of volcanic activity!!

Thanks all, really appreciate the feedback.

I spent most of the day reading posts on Lembeh and Bangka today, and barring a signifcant protest from my dive buddy (can't see why there would be), I think Bangka and Lembeh it is.

I have a number of emails out re: costs to a few of the resorts / ops that can offer a package deal, and will likely make a selection in the next few days.

Amazing, timely feedback as always on SB - thanks for that all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom