Purto Galera in end of June/early July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I'm new this board as I've recently gotten back into diving now that I am working in Asia. Just got back from a weekend dive trip checking out my new gear and the wrecks at Subic Bay and now I'm itching to get back into the water! I've got an opportunity to take a long weekend (4-5 days :wink: ) around June 30-July3 and was thinking of going back to the Philippines due to the flight convenience (from HK). Since all my friends rave about PG, I thought I'd give it a shot. But how are the dive conditions during this period? I guess we're getting into the wet season...

thanks,

pakman:
Hello all. I'm new this board as I've recently gotten back into diving now that I am working in Asia. Just got back from a weekend dive trip checking out my new gear and the wrecks at Subic Bay and now I'm itching to get back into the water! I've got an opportunity to take a long weekend (4-5 days :wink: ) around June 30-July3 and was thinking of going back to the Philippines due to the flight convenience (from HK). Since all my friends rave about PG, I thought I'd give it a shot. But how are the dive conditions during this period? I guess we're getting into the wet season...

thanks,

Well if you ask me there really is no "rainy season" here in the Philippines, From June to December it may be called the "rainy season" but we still have the sun up and shining most of the time. We probably get an occassional storm during August to the "ber" months, but other than that if the sun is up, its no different from March and April.

Dive conditions should be great during those dates. Probably just check the forecast 3 to 4 days before leaving. Diving in the Philippines is really all-year-round. :)

I was in PG last July and the weather was great. The viz was perhaps not the best that it could be but was not bad either, probably around 15m.

thanks guys for the quick feedback. I guess I'll keep checking the weather page before the trip.

BTW, what's a reliable weather site for the philippines on the internet? Few days before my Subic trip, I was getting mixed weather reports. Yahoo weather (weather.com) and one of the local filipino weather site called for T-storms and rain all weekend. CNN said it would clear up. Surprised but CNN.com was right on the money. Other than a thunderstorm the first nite, it was blue skies all weekend :wink:.

From experience there's no site that can predict weather 100%. I would go for CNN also. Just check Manila and that would more or less approximate weather there also or get in touch with the dive outfit that your diving with and they should be able to give you feedback a couple of days before you actually fly-in.

http://typhoon2000.ph/

add environmental prediction and you can get a pretty good dive forcast.

generally, storms last 3 days. so if a storm hits wednesday, prepare to go diving for the weekend!!!

Hi there,

Like what Axua had said, there is no " rainy season" in Philippines. I think the storm just come and go. I just came back diving in Puerto Galera (was there from 30 May to 2 June) and the dives sites are great.....Must go!

I dive with South Sea Divers and the team is great. The resort they arranged at Big Apple is very nice too. Good service and dive in small group. Just relax and enjoy every dive. Check out their url www.southseadivers.com and look for Paul or Sky.

Have fun blowing the bubbles!

Love and dolphins,
Candice

p.s. I will post some photos on the resort once I upload them tonight.

did my first 2 intros (about 2 years before my OW) with sky... great guy... his group's a load of laughs... great beers we shared afterwards too hehehehe

also big apple's nice and comfy... got a great pool too, the beer's cold and burger was pretty ok especially when eaten half-in the water.... aaaaaaaaahhhh this is the life

Jag

thanks for the info candice and shugar. do post the photos.

Just booked my flights and will be heading out there in a couple weeks. Will be using Asia Divers/ El Galleon as my friends who our traveling from Europe had already booked with them.

pakman:
thanks for the info candice and shugar. do post the photos.

Just booked my flights and will be heading out there in a couple weeks. Will be using Asia Divers/ El Galleon as my friends who our traveling from Europe had already booked with them.

El Galleon is good enough, rooms with aircon just make sure you are protected from mosquitoes this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom