I-95 vs Florida Turnpike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayG

Registered
Reaction score
We are heading to the Keys and are trying to decide which way to go and can’t figure out if the Turnpike is that much better of a road that it will be worth 20 bucks or if we should just take I-95.

Any suggestions?

JayG:
We are heading to the Keys and are trying to decide which way to go and can’t figure out if the Turnpike is that much better of a road that it will be worth 20 bucks or if we should just take I-95.

Any suggestions?

It's worth it. Better road, less traffic.
Only bad part is construction areas, but you have that on all roads, and the area where you pass by Miami.

Coming from Mo. if you take 75 to the turnpike you should save 2-3 hours over going to Jax & picking up 95.

Fill your tank in Georgia, Florida gas prices are $0.30 higher than Georgia.

HarleyDiver:
It's worth it. Better road, less traffic.
Only bad part is construction areas, but you have that on all roads, and the area where you pass by Miami.

Coming from Mo. if you take 75 to the turnpike you should save 2-3 hours over going to Jax & picking up 95.

Fill your tank in Georgia, Florida gas prices are $0.30 higher than Georgia.

Thanks for the information. What is the average gas price in Florida? In Missouri it’s around $2.07 is it really going to be almost $2.40?

JayG:

Any suggestions?

I agree with Harley, the Turnpike is the way to go. In addition 95 will only get you so far south and then its local roads the last hour or so to the keys. There is a lot of construction currently on 95 especially through west palm beach, that would slow you down significantly.

Gas I think is closer to $2.27/ gal.

JayG:

Any suggestions?

Take the Turnpike but if you have the time, get a sunpass. It will save you about 30% and a lot more time.

http://www.sunpass.com/etc.cfm

I take the TP down that direction, anywhere south of Jupiter its worthwhile for. It isnt the most interesting road as there is nothing to see. Gas around here is $2.02-2.05, but that isnt service plaza price :wink: From Orlando it saves me at least 30 mins on the TP than going over to Cocoa and down 95, if i plan on rush hour driving i just save even more time on the TP as 95 is a carpark at that time particularly in the WPB/Boca/Delray/Pompano/Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood/Miami metroplex.

I take 95 ANYTIME I head to south Florida. I find it much faster and easier to navigate. When I was last down there, a portion of our group took the TP and some took I95. I left town over an hour and a half after the TP group enroute to Miami Lakes and arrived about 45 minutes before they did.

We left for home around the same time, again I took I95/I10 and they took the TP. I beat them by nearly 2 hours even though the TP was the more direct route.

$20 isn't THAT big a deal, but if I'm spending the money, I want something for it. The TP never gives me anything extra for my money so I take I-95.

Did they mention traffic, making long stops, average speed, police presence or such as to why it took 2 hours more to drive probably about 50-60 miles less than you? Are we comparing apples to apples here? Also which side of north Florida are you on? The further east you are the more reasonable 95 becomes. However when i have driven both routes i have found its at least 30 mins and 35 miles quicker for that $20 or so in tolls from Orlando and traffic was about the same on both at that time of day.

simbrooks:
Did they mention traffic, making long stops, average speed, police presence or such as to why it took 2 hours more to drive probably about 50-60 miles less than you? Are we comparing apples to apples here? Also which side of north Florida are you on? The further east you are the more reasonable 95 becomes. However when i have driven both routes i have found its at least 30 mins and 35 miles quicker for that $20 or so in tolls from Orlando and traffic was about the same on both at that time of day.

Believe it or not, it was traffic that was the issue. I stopped for a sit-down lunch in Daytona Beach. At some point in S.FL. I could see all the traffic on the TP from I-95. I was cruising around 85mph and they were bumper to bumper. Out trip originated in Tallahassee. They left around 11am, I left closer to 12:30pm, and was concerned about chasing the sun. I hate trying to find hotels in the dark. It was twilight when I pulled into our hotel in Miami Lakes.

As a coach, I am on the road a lot. Sometimes, several times per week. Though I am not always headed south. If the TP works better for you.. great. I-95 works great for me so I stick with it.

I live 10 miles east of I95 now, so I always take it, but during rush hour traffic I jump over to the turnpike before West Palm. I’ve made the trip from Kansas City a few times and the turnpike was a little faster than going over to I95.

Should I warn my Jayhawk friends in Key West that some Mizzu Tigers are descending on them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom